PDA

View Full Version : Old Geezers Goblet Contest Voting #2

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:17 PM
Here is the second of the "Geezer Goblet Contest" Voting Threads. I had to divide all the entries into 5 threads because there are so many entries. You may vote for as many entries as you like over these five threads, but we recommend that you only vote for 10 to 15. This Poll will close in 2 days, at which time, we will take the Top Ten for a Final Heat on Wednesday, 4-29-06.

This is a "Peoples Choice" Contest so all members of SMC are encouraged to vote. Join the Fun!!:)

Please give me a chance to get all entries posted. This may take a few minutes.

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:22 PM
The chunk John sent was actually considerably bigger than the finished size, and I attribute the loss in size to having way too much fun roughing it. She's about 8½ inches tall and 6½ inches wide. The vessel portion is mostly 1/8th inch thick but gets a bit thicker down towards the bottom. It has three coats of Arm-R-Seal and was then buffed ala Beall

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:23 PM
Found an old, dry cedar fence post chunk. turned like brittle styrofoam with chips and chunks a flyin', but at least this one looks more like a goblet. About 5" tall, 3+ wide

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:24 PM
After the ' glow in the dark ' goblet, I deleted all my pics and tried again. One cedar and one maple. Both thinner [ the cup] than I normally turn. Probably 1/8 thickest . Fun, I like these contests, no rules, prizes or disappointments.....Everybody wins........

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:25 PM
This is made out of a piece of maple from the Woodcraft hardwood grab box. It doesn't compare to some of the great stuff posted so far, but I'm proud of it.
It's about 6" tall, 3" in diameter. The stem is about a 1/2" I thought about making the stem thinner, but it was going so well, I didn't want to press my luck. The wall tapers down from 3/16" to 1/32". Again it's sanded with 320, finished with wax, and buffed Ala Richard Raffan's book and video

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:25 PM
I turned this little curly maple goblet for a distant cousin's wedding present. It was about 6" high by around 2" wide. It was also the first goblet I've ever turned

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:26 PM
It is Poplar and measures 7" tall and about 2-3/4" diameter

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:27 PM
Bradfort Pear
Danish Oil Finish
6" tall by 3" diameter<O:p</O:p
<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:28 PM
Well here is my last entry into the old geezer and goblet contest. This one is made of Silver Maple and is 7 3/4 inches tall. the Mouth is 2 inches wide and the small part of the stem is 3/16 inches wide. The rins at the bottom have been interlocked and I call this a wedding cup because as people are married they become interlocked as the rings are. I hope this is enough form this old geezer because I need to turn some bowl blanks and boil them today

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:29 PM
Here is my entry, my very first ever turning. I turned it Sunday on Pete Jordans lathe. Ash center, cherry then oak. Sanded to 400 grit and given a liberal dose of watco danish oil

John Hart
04-17-2006, 7:44 AM
Bumping these up for the Monday Morning Rush. :)

John Hart
04-18-2006, 7:20 AM
I'm going to bump this up again...This is the last day of voting and we want everyone who wants to participate, to get a chance. The poll closes at midnight and then we'll have the finals tomorrow.:)