PDA

View Full Version : Old Geezers Goblet Contest Voting #1

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:00 PM
Ok...Here is the first of the "Geezer Goblet Contest" Voting Threads. I had to divide all the entries into 5 threads because there are so many entries. You may vote for as many entries as you like over these five threads, but we recommend that you only vote for 10 to 15. This Poll will close in 2 days, at which time, we will take the Top Ten for a Final Heat on Wednesday, 4-29-06.

This is a "Peoples Choice" Contest so all members of SMC are encouraged to vote. Join the Fun!!:)

Please give me a chance to get all entries posted. This may take a few minutes.

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:04 PM
I had some time last night so I tried this one out, it's 4" high 3" diameter with a 3/32" wall thickness, the stem is 3/8" a little thick I think but it's already done
<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->The wood is air dried black walnut from a tree that was in the back yard where I grew up in Louisville<ST1:p</ST1:p<O:p</O:p
<!-- / message -->

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:06 PM
It is about 7" tall and is turned from ambrosia maple. I just did this piece and I don't think the shellac was even dry when I took the picture. Thanks for the interest

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:07 PM
Apple wood goblet. 7" tall, 2 3/16" at the widest part of the cup, and the stem 3/16" at the narrow spot. That 'design opportunity' in the center of the cup is really a screw up from trying to adjust the tool rest with the lathe running. It slid into the cup making a divot. This is finished with some Hut friction polish. Apple is nice wood for something like this. It turns like butter.<O:p</O:p
<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:08 PM
Like Bruce, I just made this tonight for the contest. Catalpa with some curly figure about 9" high by 2" diameter at the rim. The bowl is about 4" deep. Nothing real fancy, I wanted to go for a kind of champagne flute look. Watco oil, still wet.
I may not be very old but I'm still a geezer!

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:09 PM
One more cause it was fun........

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:09 PM
Anyway, this one is foundwood. Found in my pasture. Didn't realize there was anything this large in the burn pile but I cut several blanks out of it. Very yellow wood and BIG growth rings. Very fast growing what ever it is. Sure turns nice

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:10 PM
The pine goblet is about 7 1/2" high

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Entry #2: 3"H x 1.75"D.<O:p</O:p
Made out of black palm. This stuff should come with a warning label, because I'm pretty sure it's intended for turners a bit further up the learning curve that I am: it has some of the same odd variable-hardness and brittleness that I so deeply despise in zebrawood

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:12 PM
Another Geezer/Lurker chimes in with a goblet ... Or as my wife sys an egg holder. She is made of a piece of Cypress</ST1:p I had laying around. The cypress turned easily but had quite a bit of tearout, nothing the old 80 grit Scraper wouldnt take care of. This is my second attempt at a goblet and this one seemed easier and the proportions came out a little better

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:13 PM
Well I told you I'd get in here, not much, just about the size for holding an egg.

John Hart
04-17-2006, 7:44 AM
Bumping these up for the Monday Morning Rush. :)

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-17-2006, 8:40 AM
Looks like Curt is going to have a run off with himself......... :D

Is it possible to lose to yourself and still win....... :confused:

John Hart
04-18-2006, 7:19 AM
I'm going to bump this up again...This is the last day of voting and we want everyone who wants to participate, to get a chance. The poll closes at midnight and then we'll have the finals tomorrow.:)