PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Info on Tablesaws

Mike Anderson
08-22-2003, 9:39 PM
Good Evening All - After many years of on and off woodworking (in basements, on the patio, etc.) I'm finally getting a real shop built and so am looking to outfit it. The question I have tonight is: Does anyone out there have any experience with the Bridgewood cabinet saws? (I'm about an hour away from the plant at York so it would be very convenient to get one there). I've read a couple of magazine reviews but I'm having problems finding anyone who has used one or has any first-hand knowledge about them - any help would be appreciated

Jim Becker
08-22-2003, 10:08 PM
Mike, I've looked at that saw at the shows and it's a very nice machine. Quality, heavy, albeit green. :D The price is reasonably, too.

My cabinet maker neighbor has a shop full of Bridgewood tools and speaks very highly of them. Wilke also gets kudos from just about anyone who has done business with them.

The October issue of WOOD Magazine will have reviews of cabinet saws, but I'm hearing that the Bridgewood was not reviewed for some reason. I can't confirm that, however, as my pre-release copy has not yet arrived. If you are a subscriber, you may get your issue in the next week or two if seeing the comparisons are important to you. (Some folks posting at WOOD ONLINE already did receive their issue for some reason!)

Mike Anderson
08-22-2003, 10:14 PM
Mike, I've looked at that saw at the shows and it's a very nice machine. Quality, heavy, albeit green. :D The price is reasonably, too.

My cabinet maker neighbor has a shop full of Bridgewood tools and speaks very highly of them. Wilke also gets kudos from just about anyone who has done business with them.

The October issue of WOOD Magazine will have reviews of cabinet saws, but I'm hearing that the Bridgewood was not reviewed for some reason. I can't confirm that, however, as my pre-release copy has not yet arrived. If you are a subscriber, you may get your issue in the next week or two if seeing the comparisons are important to you. (Some folks posting at WOOD ONLINE already did receive their issue for some reason!)

Thanks Jim - I can live with the green as long as the thing works as advertised -- looks like I'll be paying a visit to York, PA in a few weeks (got to wait till the roof goes on!

Jim Becker
08-22-2003, 10:17 PM
Thanks Jim - I can live with the green as long as the thing works as advertised -- looks like I'll be paying a visit to York, PA in a few weeks (got to wait till the roof goes on!

Krylon is a wonderful thing... hee hee

Seriously, give us a full report on your visit to Wilke. There are quite a few folks who participate at SMC that are in reasonable driving distance from York. It's always nice to know what to expect before a road trip!!

BTW, are you near Frederick?

Mike Anderson
08-22-2003, 10:23 PM
Krylon is a wonderful thing... hee hee

Seriously, give us a full report on your visit to Wilke. There are quite a few folks who participate at SMC that are in reasonable driving distance from York. It's always nice to know what to expect before a road trip!!

BTW, are you near Frederick?
About half an hour (over the mountain near Hagerstown) - I'll put out a report as soon as I've made the pilgramige

Jim Becker
08-22-2003, 10:27 PM
About half an hour (over the mountain near Hagerstown) - I'll put out a report as soon as I've made the pilgramige

Ah. I played in a golf outing out that way a few years ago with a bunch of customers and associates. I don't remember the name of the place but it was nice...lots of wild flowers in and around the course.

Enjoy your excursion to York!

Ken Garlock
08-22-2003, 10:36 PM
JIm, I hope you didn't pay extra for the "pre release" subscription. My run of the mill, ordinary, no bells and no whistles copy arrived in the mail yesterday. :)

Yes, Wood mag. reviewed 7 cabinet saws:
Craftsman 22964N -- 1A, 3B, 3C, 3D, 1NA(extension table quality)
Delta 36-L31X-U50 -- 7A, 2B, 2C
General 650-T50-M2M -- 7A, 1B, 2C, 1D(user manual)
Grizzly G1023SLX -- 6A, 2B, 1C, 2D(fence deflection & splitter and guard quality)
Jet JTAS-50-1 -- 4A, 2B, 4C, 1D(fence flatness)
Powermatic 66 -- 5A, 1B, 4C, 1D(dust collection)
Shop Fox Q1677EXT2 -- 8A, 2C, 1D(splitter & guard quality)

And the winner was GENERAL 650, rated "Top Tool". The General also had the best fence with the least movement when 20# force applied to the side, 1/64". Grizzly got the "Top Value" rating. The Powermatic had very bad dust collection, only catching about 30% of the dust that fell into the cabinet.

All units received an A for power, and, all except Craftsman, received an A for fit and finish. Delta, General, and Powermatic where the only units to get an A on quality of cut.

So, that is the nickel summary of the review. I would also like to have seen the Bridgewood saw in the test, I think it would have done well.

Jim Becker
08-22-2003, 10:43 PM
JIm, I hope you didn't pay extra for the "pre release" subscription. My run of the mill, ordinary, no bells and no whistles copy arrived in the mail yesterday. :)

I pay dearly with my time herding the folks to and fro and keeping them in line...As Ken and Keith will surely attest, moderating any online forum is real work sometimes!

At any rate, it seems some folks in TX and Cincinnati (what I've seen so far) got lucky with an early delivery of their October issue. Stuff happens! Enjoy. (I hear the new Idea Shop #5 is pretty kewel, too)

Ed Falis
08-23-2003, 11:47 AM
Mike,

I bought the BW10-LTS (the heavier left tilt saw) back in January. I have no complaints at all, and feel I got a great value at the price. While you're there you might also want to check whether they still have that General 350 (right-tilt) with the old-style cabinet in their bargain area. I had a hard time deciding between the two.

You're in especially good shape being able to pick up yourself, since the only complaint I've ever heard about Wilke is the cost of shipping.

- Ed

Mike Anderson
08-23-2003, 11:58 AM
Mike,

I bought the BW10-LTS (the heavier left tilt saw) back in January. I have no complaints at all, and feel I got a great value at the price. While you're there you might also want to check whether they still have that General 350 (right-tilt) with the old-style cabinet in their bargain area. I had a hard time deciding between the two.

You're in especially good shape being able to pick up yourself, since the only complaint I've ever heard about Wilke is the cost of shipping.

- Ed
Thanks Ed --- I'll check it out (AND the General)