PDA

View Full Version : Drawer Glide questions

Mark Rios
04-16-2006, 7:59 PM
I am finishing the very last part of this cabinet job. It entails Pots and Pans drawer shelves in the 36" wide cabinet by the range, two drawer shelves on one side and one bottom drawer shelf on the other. The cabs are lacquered and all set to go, completely done.......EXCEPT for these drawers that I forgot to install. :o :o :o The cab is all set up for them, I just have to make them and install them. This is where the questions come in.

I am using these glides:

http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/GroupID/Cabinet%20Drawer%20Slides/CatID/Drawer%20Slides%2C%20Full%20Extension/SubCatID/KV8417%20Full%20Extension%20Self%20Closing

I've already found that I will need a spacer between one wall of the cab and the glide on each door side of the cabs. The door sets just inside the face frame opening about 1/8" and the glide hits the door when sliding. I've figured out the spacer issue, no problem.

But, I remember reading a post (I think it was by European tool Paul) about this type of drawer glide and he said that it was kind of tricky to get installed right. There doesn't seem to be ANY room for error on these glides, as opposed to the Blum glides on the rest of the regular drawers.

Are there any special tricks or hints to an easy install of this type of drawer slide? I haven't assembled the drawers yet although I do have side material cut to height. It is in long strips ready to cut to length.

Thanks very much for your help and advice.

Jamie Buxton
04-16-2006, 8:19 PM
Yeah, that +1/32, -0 spec is real. If you're not sure you can hit it, make the drawers a little narrow. It is not difficult to use shims to make the cabinet a tad narrower, if that's what it needs. In contrast, trying to make the cabinet a tad wider is very difficult.

Steve Clardy
04-16-2006, 8:47 PM
I deduct 1" for slides, 1" for both drawer sides, then take a pinch less than a 1/16" off, to get my total drawer width.

Brent Harral
04-16-2006, 9:25 PM
I've always made the drawers of solid (dt'd) and a hair bigger than the final dimension for these slides. I use my jointer (with backer) or TS to trim a hair to fit. If you err, do so on the shorter width and shim the slides as mentioned.