PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder Hollow Form

Jim Ketron
04-16-2006, 7:00 PM
This BE HF was gifted to my good friend Travis Stinson at the BBQ last weekend. It has some nice curl, red flame, and a few Birdseye spots and a first for me with a natural collar. It stands at 7 1/4" tall X 5" wide, finish is Gel Poly and Buffed on the Beall.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/Dsc021692.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/Dsc021682.jpg

John Miliunas
04-16-2006, 7:14 PM
Absolutely stunning, as always! Great form and the red in it really comes out and slaps you right in the face! :) Truly enough to get anyone's attention! :D

Question, though: You say you got it a week ago. Now, was it a completely dried hunk of wood or did you turn it green? If the latter, how do you manage to do that, then do a DNA soak, dry and finish turn within a week???? Inquiring minds want...no, scratch that...NEED to know!!! :D :cool:

Keith Burns
04-16-2006, 7:20 PM
Travis was one lucky guy to receive that piece Jim as it was absolutely drop dead beautiful ! :) :) :) Can't wait to see more:D

Travis Stinson
04-16-2006, 7:22 PM
"I" got it last weekend John ;) . It's a beauty for sure! Got it sitting on the top shelf of my display case, along with some other wonderful turnings from the guys in our exchange last weekend.:cool: :D :D :D

John Miliunas
04-16-2006, 7:37 PM
"I" got it last weekend John ;) . It's a beauty for sure! Got it sitting on the top shelf of my display case, along with some other wonderful turnings from the guys in our exchange last weekend.:cool: :D :D :D

Doh!!!! :eek: OK, I'm an iDot!!! :eek: (NOTE TO SELF: "Self, you really need to read the posts more carefully!:o) You're one lucky fellow, Travis!!! That piece would certainly take front and center in any display area in our home, that's for certain! :) :cool:

Dennis Peacock
04-16-2006, 10:51 PM
Very pretty Jim. I still admire the quality of your work even more today after seeing several of your pieces at the BBQ. Simply outstanding work. Very nice indeed!!!!:D

Curt Fuller
04-16-2006, 10:55 PM
You just don't know how to do anything ugly, do you Jim.

That's another beauty and I like the natural collar too.

Bernie Weishapl
04-17-2006, 12:30 AM
WoW Jim that is beautiful. That is one nice piece. I like the natural collar. Nice work.

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-17-2006, 12:33 AM
Got me Droolin' Again, Jim.

Bruce

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-17-2006, 12:55 AM
Forgive John guys, he was STUNNED by the beauty of the piece :D

Glenn Hodges
04-17-2006, 3:25 AM
Form is right on target with the curve as it can be to perfection. I like this wood, and wished we had it down here.

John Hart
04-17-2006, 7:29 AM
The form is great and the wood is striking. What's not to like? Spectacular piece Jim. You're a fortunate man Travis.:)

Jim Ketron
04-17-2006, 5:30 PM
Thanks all for the complements!;)

Ernie Nyvall
04-17-2006, 6:43 PM
Real nice Jim. Since that collar is natural, is it all one piece, or did you cut it from the top of the blank before turning the vase? The hole looks really small, but the flame continues from the collar to the body.

Ernie

Mike Ramsey
04-18-2006, 9:44 AM
Beautiful! Love the collar! Yep you are a lucky guy Travis!

Mark Cothren
04-18-2006, 10:35 AM
You just don't know how to do anything ugly, do you Jim.

He's ugly enough on his own....:D

Great work, Jim! This is a beauty - but I have one just as nice...;)

I have some pieces from the guys and will have pictures of them up sometime soon! Just been kinda busy here lately...:)

Jim Ketron
04-18-2006, 5:02 PM
Real nice Jim. Since that collar is natural, is it all one piece, or did you cut it from the top of the blank before turning the vase? The hole looks really small, but the flame continues from the collar to the body.

Ernie
The collar is separate from the HF, and the hole is 3/4"

Mark, I would say something but I won't:D