PDA

View Full Version : Biscut VS Kreg

Bob Yarbrough
04-16-2006, 2:17 PM
Building a plywood bookshelf. The design calls for biscuts to attach the shelves to the sides. I want to use pocket joints, since I have a pocket jig and don't have a biscut joiner. Shelves are 27" long, 3/4 ply. Backs is 3/4 the is rabbeted? into the top,bottom, and sides.

Anyone see any problem with having three shelves "kreg'ed" into the sides?

Bob.

PS( been awhile since I;ve been around due to vacation and illness. First time in the shop for over 2 months, so any inpur appreciated.)

Chris Barton
04-16-2006, 2:30 PM
The kreg will work fine and you can plug the holes if they are where they can be seen.

Steve Clardy
04-16-2006, 3:24 PM
Your shelves are probably 12" wide or less?

Mark Pruitt
04-16-2006, 3:49 PM
I built a shelf unit from plywood a week ago; used both pocket holes and buscuits; the buscuits were just for the purpose of holding the shelf in a fixed position as I drove the screws. For some reason, if I don't secure the shelf position with a buscuit or spline, the shelf wants to travel about 1/32 or so, even when clamped. Maybe I don't have the right technique (or the right clamp), but the biscuits sure do the trick as far as fixing the shelf position.

Chris Barton
04-16-2006, 4:23 PM
Mark,

Next time use solid spacers for placing the shelves using scrap ply.

John Miliunas
04-16-2006, 4:59 PM
I'm 100% with Chris on this one for both, the right tool and method. I have a pretty nice biscuit jointer, as well as the Kreg and I find myself going to the Kreg a whole lot more! :) As mentioned, I too find that parts put together with the Kreg tend to slide over just a skosh, so getting them fit real tight is necessary. For shelves, using spacers is the way to go. :) :cool:

Mark Pruitt
04-16-2006, 8:35 PM
Chris, I did that and they still traveled. :confused: :mad: :confused: Go figure. Maybe I need a better clamping method. But the buscuit slots are just so easy to cut I figured I'd try it that way and I got perfect results. But thanks for the help. I'll keep trying.

Chris Barton
04-16-2006, 8:54 PM
Mark,

I figured they must have been loose to some degree to move when you inserted the screws. I use the spacers and hold them in place with clamps while I insert the screws. I have the PC plate joiner (highest rated in reviews in FWW) and have found that using biscuts is more unpredictable than the Kreg. I only use the biscuts when I have to register multiple boards for a table top, not because they add anything from a strength perspective but, they can aid in alignment. In fact, when I use them for this I don't use glue on them, only the mating parts of the boards. There was a very good article this past month in one of the woodworking magazines that found that biscuts create pockets of moisture that cause abnormal swelling in the wood and can ruin your finish or the structure itself if they are not allowed to cure for more than 14 days...

John Miliunas
04-16-2006, 9:01 PM
As a side-note, a good biscuit joint does not only rely on a good jointer. I have a Makita, which cuts extremely accurate slots BUT, I found that using high quality biscuits is really key in keeping everything lined up properly. I can't afford a Lamello but, I did invest in the Lamello biscuits. Gene Collison recommended them to me some time ago and even challenged me to mic up my run of the mill biscuits and then do the same with the Lamello biscuits. He's right; The Lamello biscuits had much more consistency in their thickness, most all of them giving me a really snug fit. My first "test" was with a wide stile/rail for a mitered frame I was making. Only the biscuits/glue were used and, once un-clamped, I had a very, very minimal amount of sanding to do at the joint. Compared to my old Freud jointer and "Plain Jane" biscuits, I'd give it no less than a 200% improvement!!! :) :cool:

Mark Pruitt
04-17-2006, 9:55 AM
Mark,

There was a very good article this past month in one of the woodworking magazines that found that biscuts create pockets of moisture that cause abnormal swelling in the wood and can ruin your finish or the structure itself if they are not allowed to cure for more than 14 days...

Do you remember which mag you found this in? I would be interested in seeing that. I would like to know how they controlled the experiment and what various species were used. I've heard of this phenomenon but have never actually seen it or had it to happen to me.

JayStPeter
04-17-2006, 11:27 AM
For carcase construction, I like to use biscuits and pocket screws. The biscuits keep everything lined up (and probably add some strength) while the screws reduce the need for lots of big clamps during assembly (oh, and probably add some strength :) ).

John, good info on the Lamello biscuits. I am forever searching for the perfect biscuit in the batch to ensure the alignment advantage is actually there. I'll be ordering up a batch of Lamellos soon.

Jay

Keel McDonald
04-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Pocket holes will work great! My last project I did that very thing. They are strong, accurate, and extremely fast. I've also used the biscuits, but much prefer pocket holes.