PDA

View Full Version : Help on water pump for irrigation system

Jim O'Dell
04-16-2006, 2:16 PM
The house we moved into 22 months ago has a water pump tied to the sprinkler system to pull water from the creek to water the lawn. I saw a few stations run when we bought the house, but hadn't set it up for use yet, then last year about this time we were in a dry spell and the creek dried up. It's full again and I thought I'd get things running. Cleaned out the filter, primed the pump via a burried water hose from the house (note to self: get a one way valve for this to prevent back flush). I can hear the contactor click and it hums when a station is turned on manually, but pump does not come on. It is a type T motor. How hard would it be to take this thing apart and clean it out to see if that is the problem? The pump/motor unit was replaced shortly before we bought the house as the seller's parents were the actual previous owners and had passed away, leaving the house empty for at least a year and a half. History says this system is hard on motors and/or pumps. There were 3 old ones in the out building that I'm rehabbing for my shop. My Dad took 2 of them to play with. Seems he said one was shot, but don't remember if he ever got around to playing with the second one. I'd call and ask but he had quadruple bypass surgery on Wed, and is still giving the nurses he(ck). :D
Any ideas on the motor would be appreciated. Oh, I did bang around on the motor and pump housing while my wife operated the controls. Hoped it might loosen it up and get it turning, but didn't. Thanks! Jim

Ken Fitzgerald
04-16-2006, 2:37 PM
Jim.......you mentioned humming.....was this the contactor humming or the motor humming?

I take it that this is a 120 vac motor?

The first thing I'd do is take a volt meter and connect it to the leads going to the motor. I would use clip leads and not hold the meter. Then I'd turn it on and see if you are getting voltage to the motor.

If the contactor is humming, it may be chatter and it may not be closing it's contacts and therefore there is no power getting to the motor.

If the motor is humming but not turning on....I'd still use the above method to measure the voltage going to the motor and make sure it's getting proper voltage.

If there is proper voltage going to the motor...........

Disconnect power to the circuit and search the motor for a starting capacitor. The starting capacitor shifts the phase to one leg of the the motor during startup to start the motor in the proper direction. Usuallly there is a centrifigal switch in the motor that removes the capacitor from the circuit once proper speed and direction are reached by the motor. These capacitors are a common failure item. Depending on how they fail, they can sometimes be checked with an ohm meter .....but they are cheap and it's about as easy to replace one.........if they short....the motor will blow circuit breakers or fuses when turned on....if the capacitor opens, the motor will not start or will turn in the wrong direction...or won't get to proper speed. Usually the motor will hum but not turn if the starting capacitor opens.

Another possibility is something clogging the pump preventing the motor from turning.........

Good luck!

Jim O'Dell
04-16-2006, 2:50 PM
Thanks, Ken. The motor is on a 30 amp 220 double circuit on the breaker box in the house. So, 220 volt motor. And I see I wasn't clear, it's the contactor that is humming, not loud, but audible if next to it. Would spraying it with tuner cleaner help it make contact, if that is what's wrong? It's not buzzing to the point that I thought that was the problem, but then I don't know a lot about these things.
I get no noise at all from the pump/motor combination. I'm pretty sure the motor is not trying to turn. I'll look for the capacitors, but didn't notice any bulges on the motor. I'll go get a picture of it, and read the motor plate a little better.
Thanks for the heads up. The contactor box was mostly clean, but there were some big ants running around in it. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
04-16-2006, 3:15 PM
Ken, here's the pictures. First one is of the entire set up. Second one is of the motor plate. It is a 110/220 motor, but the capacitors must be under the end cap. No bulges on the motor housing. Third is of the contactor set up. Thanks again! Jim.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-16-2006, 3:24 PM
Jim..........I found their website.....Let me go on line and see if they have service documentation for that pump. I'll get back to you in a couple of minutes.

Jim O'Dell
04-16-2006, 3:32 PM
Ken, I just checked the contactor. Gets 240 on the input, but nothing on the output when the contactor is energized. It's a Cutler Hammer. triggers with 24 volts from the sprinkler system unit, so how do I clean a contactor?? Or do I just replace it and go from there to see if anything else is bad? Thanks for your time on a Easter Holiday Ken! You've gone above and beyond!!! Jim.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-16-2006, 3:41 PM
Jim..........I just downloaded the pdf manual for that pump in case we need it.

Can you see the contacts on the relay/contactor?

IF you can see the contacts you can burnish them. IF not just replace it. They should be readily available.

It sounds like you have found the problem. Disconnect all power...You don't want power to that contactor .

You can use a little bit of fine grit emery cloth or even sand paper. I prefer emery cloth.......just slip it between the contacts and lightly burnish them.........then flip the emery cloth over and repeat the process....you need to burnish both sides of the contacts.........be sure to blow out any dirt or abrasive particles if you use sand paper or emery cloth...........

In reality you need a burnishing tool....but I haven't seen one in years....

Again.............make sure you have no power when you do it..........

I check back in case you need any more help....

Good luck!

Jim O'Dell
04-16-2006, 4:26 PM
But now I have a new problem!?!? It ran for about 3 seconds, then I heard a medium POOOOF shshshshshshsh... Pump was still running. Turned it off, walked around to get back to the pump and what do I find??? Then entire filter section, pipe and all, laying about 3 feet from where it originally was. I knew it was going to leak. I saw some signs of water dripping with the house water attached for priming the pump. But it blew the the line going into the filter I knew about, and popped the line going to the sprinkler system flush with the ground! Oh well, I haven't been to Home Depot since Friday!!:rolleyes:
Ken, thanks a million for your help. I think I can get it under control from here. :rolleyes: :D Jim.