PDA

View Full Version : hand saw

Stephen Sebed
02-21-2003, 11:25 PM
What do you do to keep hand saws from rusting? I have two hand saws that hang in my garage and have rusted. I also need to remove the existing rust. Any ideas on the easiest way to do this? One last question; the blades on the saws have a slight curve to them, is there any way to straighten this out?

Thanks,
Stephen (a former lurker on the pond)

Dave Anderson NH
02-22-2003, 7:42 AM
One of the premier ways of removing rust is the use of electrolysis. No matter what method you use, you should remove the handles so that you cleanup the complete saw. My method of choice is 320 or 400 grit sandpapeer and mineral spirits in combination with a single edge razor blade. Wet the saw with the mineral spirits and let it sit for 5 minutes or so. Scrape as much as possible off of the saw with the razor blade and wipe down again with mineral spits and repeat several times as you expose new dry rust. Finally rewet the saw and gently stroke the wet-dry silicone carbide paper along the length of the saw blade. Be careful in the area where the manufacturers logo is etche into the blade. This is something you want to preserve as much as possible to enhance the saw's value.

To prevent rust any one of several methods can be use. Boeshield, Topcote, pastewax and even a rub with some paraffin will all retard rust.

Dennis McDonaugh
02-22-2003, 10:38 AM
I use rust and stain remover by Boeshield. Spray it on, let it sit for 5 min or so, then scrub with steel wool or 400 sand paper if its really rusty. You have to rinse the rust remover off with water to neutralize it so dry the saw thoroughly. Then I use past wax, just like I use on my cast iron power tools. I spend an hour or so each month waxing all the cast iron surfaces and hand tools.

John Wadsworth
02-22-2003, 5:36 PM
This is the way I was taught, too. And when you go to fine sandpaper, use a really square sanding block.

Ranbir Chawla
02-25-2003, 2:13 AM
Since we're on this subject, I've got a problem I figured I'd mention. My current shop is in the garage, and is shared with LOML's car. Over the last few months I've noticed a strange film forming on some of my tools, namely the saws that hang on the wall and the drill press table/chuck area. It's only forming on areas the are contacting air (left a block of wood on the drill press stand and it was clean).

My wife likes to run the car for a few minutes to warm up with the door open if it's cold. Could that be causing it?

I haven't tried to sand it off yet, but I figured I'd see if anyone has seen this before.

Ranbir