PDA

View Full Version : wood movement and scribing a faceframe

Rob Blaustein
04-16-2006, 1:05 PM
I was dry fitting the top/bottom rails and two end stiles for a solid walnut faceframe for the vanity shown below and it occurred to me that if I scribe those two end stiles right up against the wall I may run into trouble down the line when the moisture content of the wood increases. It is currently 6-7% by my meter and it is likely to go up as conditions get more humid here. The stiles are 1 5/16" wide and an on-line calculator says that it could move up to 1/32" as the moisture content goes from 7% to 15%. The problem is more with the top of the stiles because of the way I've designed it--the top rail prevents any movement, but the bottom rail would allow the two stiles to move away from the wall. So if I do need to take movement into account, I see two options:
1. Allow some room between the walls and the stiles--maybe around 1/32" or so? Would that look ok?
2. Make the top rail like the bottom rail and have it go wall to wall.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
-Rob

Lee DeRaud
04-16-2006, 1:39 PM
Unless you've got really tight inset doors, I can't see that 1/32" of movement would be a problem in any case. But if you do decide to leave some room, with dark wood meeting a light colored wall at a right angle, that size gap will be pretty much invisible.

Steve Clardy
04-16-2006, 3:38 PM
Face frame is against drywall?
Not a problem. Fit it to the wall. That way you will not have to install scrib strips [trim] to conceal the gap.

frank shic
04-16-2006, 4:19 PM
rob, your vanity is looking better and better. can't wait to see the finished results! you will gain an ENORMOUS amount of confidence and experience from this project. who knows? maybe the kitchen's next!?! BTW don't worry about the minimal expansion you'll get on the frame.

Rob Blaustein
04-16-2006, 4:38 PM
Thanks for the replies, and kind words. I wasn't nervous about inset doors, but that the way the top rail sits means that the only way any movement could be accommodated at the top part of the stiles is by expansion into the walls. Steve, I guess you're saying there is enough flex in dry wall that I shouldn't worry about it?

Steve Clardy
04-16-2006, 6:15 PM
Yes. Probably will not get any noticeable movement anyway Rob