PDA

View Full Version : When the beauty of the wood shines.

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-16-2006, 12:19 PM
Every once in a while you get a piece of wood the is SO beautiful that you could chainsaw it, slap some finish on it and it would be great. This piece is one of those.

Several months ago, I took on a commission to clean up a fellows attempt at turning table legs by re-turning two that had a lot of catches on them and then turning the other two to match. I had a problem, since his lathe centers were off by almost 1/8". This made the two that were done impossible to clean up on any other lathe. I explained the problem and suggested that I use his lathe to finish the two he started. While there, I showed him a little about turning. Towards the end, he went to his wood pile and pulled out a chunk and asked if it was ok to use. I told him basically that if it holds together, you can turn it.

This is the result of that piece of SAVED firewood.

Thanks for lookin'

Bruce;)

Ken Garlock
04-16-2006, 12:41 PM
Bruce, the inter beauty of the scrap wood surely did come through. That piece has beautiful detail like I have never seem before.:)

Erin Raasch
04-16-2006, 12:56 PM
Wow - that is some of the prettiest spalting I've seen. Makes you wonder, though, doesn't it? 'Bout how many pieces of potential art you might have chucked in the fire over the years? Yup, that was a lucky save.

Erin

Bob Noles
04-16-2006, 4:52 PM
SPECTACULAR!

Chris Barton
04-16-2006, 5:11 PM
Great piece Bruce! Looks like you'er getting your moneys worth out of that Rikon.

Corey Hallagan
04-16-2006, 5:20 PM
Awesome Bruce. That is a sweet piece.

Corey

Jim Davenport
04-16-2006, 5:54 PM
Thats a real pretty piece. I really love the look of spalted stuff.

Bernie Weishapl
04-16-2006, 6:19 PM
Bruce that is one of the wowzers. That is beautiful. Nice work.

Jim Sample
04-16-2006, 10:20 PM
Bruce

That spalting is BEATIFUL. I think that spalted wood is the prettiest wood available when it can be kept sound. (wood hardner, etc.)

I have some spalted pecan I need to post.

Jim Sample

John Hart
04-17-2006, 7:22 AM
Sure is some pretty fungus you got going there Bruce! I like what you did to the top too! Nice Bud Vase!:)

Mike Ramsey
04-17-2006, 10:48 AM
Reprive from the governor! Great save and job Bruce!

Ernie Nyvall
04-17-2006, 5:49 PM
Nice job on it too Bruce. I like the rim treatment.

Ernie