PDA

View Full Version : Another "Should I...?"

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-16-2006, 4:29 AM
OK found this one on auction again, it is a lathe from a vocational school...............

The company is called Fujikyu, I've never heard of them, but that don't mean much. It was made in 1977

3-phase motor (I have three phase) and it looks like a MT#2, but I cannot be sure. I need to shoot the guy some questions.

The thing on the head stock looks like a spindle lock.....?

Right now it is at 1 yen on auction, the guy is a re-seller, so he just wants to move the equipment. Six days left on the auction, I wonder what this will go for.

I'm thinking to limit myself to about $600 or so.

Sizes

It is 110cm tall (43") 145 cm long (57") and they do not give the swing over the bed, but it looks good enough.

I have no idea of the speeds, but as it is 3 phase, I figure I'd invest in one of those controller things, so I could just set the speed by pressing a button. I've seen these on auction here cheap.

It has an a chuck of sorts, and a faceplate, but it would really need to have the spur and drive centers replaced.

It will fit in the space I have, easily, I'd just lose the legs in favour of the stand I have now.

I do not think this is as good as the other one I was showing you (which is still on auction for 148,000 yen, or $1400) but if I can get this one for under $600....? It is also fairly local, maybe an hour drive away, so I can pick it up and save the shipping charges.

Remember I'm in Japan, what I'm looking for here is any "Oh no don't get that because _________" kind of comments ;) :D

Well, there I go, back done the slippery slope

David Fried
04-16-2006, 7:13 AM
Looks like a nice little monster to me!
The pictures remind me of the Oliver that
was posted here recently. Sure looks sturdy!

I'm weak. GET IT! Assuming all your questions
are answered to your satisfaction.

Tyler Howell
04-16-2006, 7:20 AM
That should strain the hoist system into the dungen. Good luck Stu.

Erin Raasch
04-16-2006, 7:27 AM
Sure, Stu - go for it. You can never have too many lathes, right? ;)

Erin

John Hart
04-16-2006, 8:37 AM
.....Remember I'm in Japan, what I'm looking for here is any "Oh no don't get that because _________" kind of comments ;) :D....

Oh no...Don't get that because....It's not Mayo or Mustard?

Sorry...can't think of anything negative.:)

Andy Hoyt
04-16-2006, 9:30 AM
Are there any turning blanks in the shop right now that cannot be turned on what you currently have due to its limitations?

Crawl, Walk, then Run.

Jeff Horton
04-16-2006, 9:39 AM
I have to agree with Andy.

Of course I can see your point about not seeing many lathes at auction. I live in a area where seeing a decent old machine for sale can get me quite excited. Even if I don't want it. It's just rare!

Nice looking lathe, just wonder what the spindle size is? Can you get an adapter for the chuck you just ordered?

As for Variable Frequency Drives on 3 phase motors, I am sold on them!

04-16-2006, 10:12 AM
Thing is, the C-man lathe that I have I get a ton of vibration off of, I've been told this is the biggest problem with them.

I did some turning today, and even with sharp tools and the best technique I can muster (been reading books and watching DVDs) I still get a lot of vibes, and the vibes are in the machine, if I jam something under the tube, or use one hand to grab the tube, the vibrations all but goes away.

Now this may very well be my inexperience showing, but I would think a better built machine could only help.

If this machine goes stupid on price, I won't buy it, as the C-man lathe will do for now, for sure.

If it stays cheap, why not?

I don't know if the chuck will fit the new lathe, I kind of doubt it, but I can easily sell the C-man lathe, with the motor and that chuck for a lot more than I paid for it all told, so I'm not worried about that.

Should be fun to see where the price goes.

Cheers!

Curt Fuller
04-16-2006, 11:16 AM
Thing is, the C-man lathe that I have I get a ton of vibration off of, I've been told this is the biggest problem with them.

I feel your pain Stu. Turning on the craftsman clone was a lot of fun but having a big heavy chunk of iron to turn on is so much better.

Being a Japanese built machine, would it have some sort of metric spindle and threading? It could be difficult to buy accessories although Oneway has a list of chuck inserts and faceplates that has about every spindle size and threading you can think of.

You might want to keep the old craftsman though for sentimental reasons and to use for light work, pens, and stuff. I'm in the process of cutting down the tupe on mine to make a mini out of it.

Happy bidding!

04-16-2006, 11:29 AM
I've found that the MT sizes are the same here, and I think the spindle sizes are too, but I have no way to tell, for sure until I get it.

The guy is just an equipment reseller.

We are trying to see if we can find the company that made it, if they still exist, they might be able to help us out, or I can go the machine shop route, and just get an adaptor made up.

If I get this on the cheap, with a few tweaks, this should be all the machine I'll ever need ...... right.....? :eek: :D

Bart Leetch
04-16-2006, 11:42 AM
You will need to find out the spindle size. At the worst you may need to get another insert for your current chuck. The chuck in the pic will not hold wood very well ( may become a wood slinger, who knows on high speed you may get some pretty good distance out of it.) but if you can figure out how to make new jaws like the ones on your current chuck to replace the one in the new chuck well then thats a different thing.

David Fried
04-16-2006, 12:19 PM
Stu,

On second thought, hold out for the blender. I hear Waring is the way to go!

04-16-2006, 2:07 PM
You will need to find out the spindle size. At the worst you may need to get another insert for your current chuck. The chuck in the pic will not hold wood very well ( may become a wood slinger, who knows on high speed you may get some pretty good distance out of it.) but if you can figure out how to make new jaws like the ones on your current chuck to replace the one in the new chuck well then thats a different thing.

Bart I very much doubt that I could get an insert for the current chuck, as it has a 3/4" 16TPI spindle, which is a fairly small hole.

The only thing I could do it get a thread that big to go into the chuck and have a big flange on that to go onto the new lathe's spindle, this would move my chuck out away from the headstock another few inches, not a great idea, IMHO.

I'll have no problem selling the chuck on auction for what I paid for it.

Cheers!

Jeff Horton
04-16-2006, 3:25 PM
Was just looking the pictures again. That is a nice heavy looking lathe. Two things I noticed.

1. Banjo locks in with a nut. Having to use a wrench is pain. Of course I am used to having the locking lever, so it's all in what you get used too.

2. What is swing on that lathe? Looks bigger than 300mm to me :D (12" +/-) I am guessing closer to 16". If so, then I would say there is a good chance that would be all you would want.

I started on a Craftsman tube lathe. I turned one large bowl on it. It finished around 10" dia. I decided then and there I didn't care for working on bigger bowls. Roughing that bowl out scared me bad! Speeds were way to fast and the lathe way to light. Not to mention my inexperience at the time. I finished the bowl but never wanted to do another one that large.

Jump forward 10 years. Just the short time I have been using the heavy and stable J-Line I found the 12" swing limited me just last week. I have a 10-11" bowl roughed out now. With more knowledge and better tools (good lathe, bowl gouges, better skills) tuning this big bowl was a totally different experience the the one on the old craftsman. I am already starting to think about/designing in my head the outboard turning rig for the J-Line.

Just food for thought. :)

04-16-2006, 3:30 PM
Ya, the banjo and the tail stock lock with just a nut, I would bet that they had levers, but over the years at the school it was in they got busted, lost etc.

I'm sure I can whip something up to improve that.

Cheers!

04-16-2006, 3:53 PM
Well I just found the lathe company on the net, they still make almost the same lathe.

The spindle thread size is not on the spec sheet, but it does tell me the MT is MT#3, is that a problem?

The speeds are 410/660/1000

Swing over the bed is 25 cm or nearly 10"

I'll try to get my wife to call them and see if they can tell me the spindle thread size.

Looking better all the time!

Cheers!:D

Don Baer
04-16-2006, 4:38 PM
The #3 morris taper could be a problem. I have heard that you can get adapters but when I was looking for one for my metal lathe I couldn't find any. The ten inch swing would also be very limiiting.

Jeff Horton
04-16-2006, 9:12 PM
The #3 morris taper could be a problem. I have heard that you can get adapters but when I was looking for one for my metal lathe I couldn't find any. The ten inch swing would also be very limiiting.

An adapter should be no problem. Just have to look at an industrial supplier. We used them all the time in the machine shops I worked. I would bet McMaster Carr and Enco sell them.

I could be wrong but I think Stu means 10" from the spindle to the bed or a 20" diameter.

Donald Cromwell
04-17-2006, 12:29 AM
Stu,
Craft Supply advertises custom insert sizes for the Oneway Chuck and the Stronghold Chuck for $60in their catalog. Just not available in 1 1/2" x 8 TPI.
Good Luck
Don

04-17-2006, 12:43 AM
Yes, sorry about the confusion, 10" swing means a 20" bowl, in theory would be possible.

Now I have a 12" C-man lathe, that I think I can do a 10" bowl on? So the 20" mean you can do an 18" incher?

Cheers!

Andy Hoyt
04-17-2006, 12:51 AM
Stu - The term swing refers to twice the distance from the centerline of the spindle to the top of the ways.

Thusly, if that distance is 10", then you can "swing" a 20" chunk.

04-17-2006, 12:57 AM
Stu - The term swing refers to twice the distance from the centerline of the spindle to the top of the ways.

Thusly, if that distance is 10", then you can "swing" a 20" chunk.

Thanks Andy, that is what I thought.

Why then do they call the C-man lathe a 12" lathe, I don't think it will swing a 24" chunck :D

Cheers!

tod evans
04-17-2006, 5:48 AM

I did some turning today, and even with sharp tools and the best technique I can muster (been reading books and watching DVDs) I still get a lot of vibes, and the vibes are in the machine, if I jam something under the tube, or use one hand to grab the tube, the vibrations all but goes away.

Cheers!

stu, untill you change lathes try filling the tube of your lathe, lead shot comes to mind.....02 tod

04-17-2006, 6:34 AM
stu, untill you change lathes try filling the tube of your lathe, lead shot comes to mind.....02 tod

Well it is already filled with sand mixed with oil, besides, Japan..... No guns..... lead shot..... ;)

Might be a tad hard to get hold of in quantity, not to mention the price may not be cheap.

Cheers!

tod evans
04-17-2006, 6:40 AM
Well it is already filled with sand mixed with oil, besides, Japan..... No guns..... lead shot..... ;)

Might be a tad hard to get hold of in quantity, not to mention the price may not be cheap.

Cheers!

how about concrete? if the sand is still giving you vibration maybe a loose material isn`t the best choice.........it`s already vibrating so what`s to loose? ..02 tod

04-17-2006, 7:17 AM
Actually the loose material is what you want, it will absorb the vibes, a thicker oil would be best, but, it would leak for sure :rolleyes:

You have seen dead-blow hammer, no?

They are filled with a lead shot kind of thing, hit a solid like a concrete wall, and they don't bounce back, hit the same wall with a solid hammer, and they bounce back.

The problem is the headstock etc, and the tail stock, they all flex too much. Small stuff, near the headstock is fine, no vibes, but for example, the goblets I did, the face turning of the goblet vibrated to a lot, but if I did a cut (goblet with no stem) the vibes were almost nonexistent.

It is a basic flaw of the machine design.

I'm still having a blast with it, I got if for the price of shipping, and a new motor, I have less than $200 into it, and I know I can sell it for that easy, if I want too.

I got it because of the low price, so I could see if this whole turning bug really had bitten me, well let me tell you, it has, in a big way.

If this other lathe on auction goes stupid on price, I'll just deal with the C-man lathe, but if the auction one stays cheap, why not?

Like I said, they do not come up on auction very often.

Cheers!

tod evans
04-17-2006, 7:25 AM
the dead blow hammer is why i mentioned the lead shot, but devs post the other day about how machine manufacturers are going with concrete filled steel got me to thinking maybe that may be the way to go? a few of my mm pieces use this technoligy and i haven`t noticed any vibration? heck i don`t know.....i was just spouting off. tod

04-17-2006, 7:43 AM
Hey, don't ever stop "Spouting off" that is often where some of the best ideas come from!! :D

Actually, the concrete might just make the tube less flexible...... which is the primary cause of my vibrations, I think.....Hmm

anyone else want to get in on this.....?

:D

Cheers!

Dave Mcintire
04-17-2006, 7:57 AM
The banjo looks really weak to me, kind of like the HF ones that break a lot. The spindle looks a little wierd, there should be a solid hub after the threads that whatever is threaded on mates up against for a firm fit. Maybe the pic isn't clear enough to see this. DO they use Morse tapers over there? I though Japan had a lot of 25cycle electricity, is the motor 60 Hz, if not it could be hard finding a VFD, at least the motor isn't built in the headstock or something.

John Hart
04-17-2006, 8:12 AM
Hey, don't ever stop "Spouting off" that is often where some of the best ideas come from!! :D

Actually, the concrete might just make the tube less flexible...... which is the primary cause of my vibrations, I think.....Hmm

anyone else want to get in on this.....?

:D

Cheers!

Hey...if you're willing to take a stupid idea, how 'bout this one....What would happen if you drove some rebar into the tube?

04-17-2006, 8:19 AM
Been here 16 years and all I've ever seen is 50/60 Hz (50 in Tokyo Kanto area, and 60 from Osaka South).

The Faceplate and the chuck they have seem to work fine, so I would think that if I got another chuck it would work fine as well..?

The lathe was built in 1977, and lived in a vocational school all the time, the banjo looks original, so if it could survive that....?

The speed controlers are cheap on auction.

I think they call them Inverters?

Cheers!

04-17-2006, 8:20 AM
Hey...if you're willing to take a stupid idea, how 'bout this one....What would happen if you drove some rebar into the tube?

You must have access to some really thick re-bar........ :D

John Hart
04-17-2006, 8:41 AM
Guess I shoulda said "Drive a bundle of rebar...":D Wouldn't that dampen the vibes?

04-17-2006, 8:45 AM
Guess I shoulda said "Drive a bundle of rebar...":D Wouldn't that dampen the vibes?

I think re-bar is designed to be flexible, to a point, but the concrete would be rather solid, and would not allow much flex, would it?

I just hope I get the other lathe :D

Mike Ramsey
04-17-2006, 11:00 AM
If it goes at your price, why not! Buy it!! Don't pay any attention to
that Andy guy, he already has the best so he's biased in these areas!

04-17-2006, 11:03 AM
Well, I got five or six hundered bucks earmarked for it, with the MOF approval, so I figure if it goes for that, I'll take it.

Cheers!

PS, I was told that most people ignore Andy, as a general rule......don't they...? (I was sure that was in the TOS......)

;) :D:D

Cheers!

John Hart
04-17-2006, 11:24 AM
That's in the TOS???!!:eek: Oh man! and all this time I've been worshipping every word!! His advise always seems so solid...Except for ice cream. I don't like nuts in my ice cream.:cool:

04-17-2006, 11:29 AM
That's in the TOS???!!:eek: Oh man! and all this time I've been worshipping every word!! His advise always seems so solid...Except for ice cream. I don't like nuts in my ice cream.:cool:

Yeah I'm sure it is........... ;) :p

:D:D