PDA

View Full Version : Veneering 101 sources?

Delano Mireles
08-22-2003, 12:26 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm hoping some of you can direct me to some of your favorite sources on learning to veneer. If you have favorite books, sites and supply sources I'd love to hear about them.

Do you recommend "naked" veneer, paper backed, PSA? I can't always afford the "fancy" woods but would like to have some options to shelling out the big bucks for some. Since I'm new to this I'm not exactly sure what else to ask so I will leave it at that for now.

Thanks,

Delano

Bob Lasley
08-22-2003, 12:58 PM
Delano,

Two of my favorite books are The Veneering Book by David Shath Square and Veneering, A Foundation Course by Mike Burton.

I have only done one veneering project so I am far from being any kind of authority on the subject. I used "naked" veneer as you call it. I have veneer for a couple more projects I want to do, but am holding off until I get a vacuum bag press made. As for sources, I have so far bought all my veneer on ebay. Expect to pay from .50 to $1.00 a square foot.

Good luck,
Bob

Delano Mireles
08-22-2003, 3:25 PM
Delano,

Two of my favorite books are The Veneering Book by David Shath Square and Veneering, A Foundation Course by Mike Burton.

I have only done one veneering project so I am far from being any kind of authority on the subject. I used "naked" veneer as you call it. I have veneer for a couple more projects I want to do, but am holding off until I get a vacuum bag press made. As for sources, I have so far bought all my veneer on ebay. Expect to pay from .50 to $1.00 a square foot.

Good luck,
Bob

Bob,

thanks for the reply. I'll look those books up on Amazon and check out eBay. sounds like some good deals are out there to be had!

Delano

Todd Burch
08-22-2003, 5:47 PM
Delano,

What kind of veneering are you wanting to do? Full panel veneering or inlay? Artwork/figurative, edge banding or what?

Paul Massey
08-22-2003, 6:35 PM
A couple of www sites you might want to look at are:

http://www.vacupress.com/ Which has a pretty decent forum which you can peruse for information. They also offer several vacum press systems.

http://www.joewoodworker.com/ Under the veneer press option has alot of information on building your own. He also offers some reasonable prices on the pieces necessary to put together a system.

Best of Luck,
Paul

Dave Avery
08-22-2003, 11:07 PM
Delano,

Check out vacupress.com - the bulletin board is a great source of information. They also sell two videos that are worth the exorbitant price that is charged. The products they sell are good quality too. Good luck! Dave.

Delano Mireles
08-25-2003, 10:24 AM
thanks again!

Todd, I'm interested in doing both full panel and decorative veneering. Would you normally use regular yellow glue or contact cement?

Paul & Dave, thanks for the websites. I'll be looking at those later today.

Delano

Todd Burch
08-25-2003, 2:30 PM
I would use whatever glue the required time dictated.

I don't have a set of pinch rollers, or a large (or small for that matter) vacuum table, and if I did, I would be more apt to do large veneering projects.

For general use, I like yellow glue, first and foremost because it dries so quick in my region (just west of Houston). I have waited as little as 10 minutes for the glue to set, maybe even shorter on non-critical joints. If I physically need more time to put together a glue up, I'll use white glue. Plentry strong enough, and a lot more open time.

On the decorative veneering shown below, for the price that I was getting, I knew I could not take the time to not have gaps between all the pieces, so I designed it to have gaps, and I used black tinted epoxy to form an outline around all the pieces of the rose. The only unexpected issue I had was the black epoxy being sucked up into the end grain of the petals and I had tiny tiny streaks of black. When just glancing at it, it hints of shadows, and the client didn't have an issue with it, so all was OK.

When I did the veneering shown, I had just repaired an old blanket chest where the hide glue holding an inlay had failed, and I didn't want the same to happen with this jewelry box lid.

If you are going to do a lot of veneering, invest in a vacuum table. You could probably make your own with some kit parts.

Pete Lamberty
08-25-2003, 2:46 PM
Hi Delano, I have used a video by Marc Adams. I thought it was very informative. Go to www.marcadams.com. and look for the area where he sells videos. Hope this helps. Pete