PDA

View Full Version : Bulges on a tree: Are they signs of burl?

Bob Weisner
04-15-2006, 10:52 PM
Hi:

Is it possible to tell if there is burl on a tree from any bulges or growths from the outside of the tree?

andy Needles
04-15-2006, 11:10 PM
Lumps usually indicate burls. Burls are usually (but not always) found at the base/rootball of the trees out here (CA). It also depends upon the species of tree. Often the burl is at the surface, and the wood in the center is more typical. Burls usually have to be quite big to be worth it. Another indication of burl are suckers (small branches) that want to sprout from them, as well as swirly/ uneven bark that does nto match the rest of the bark on the tree. I've sawn up burls/growths higher up in trees, and sometimes found them hollow due to rot/disease.

Hope this helps!

Bob Weisner
04-15-2006, 11:15 PM
This is from a Weeping Willow tree. Thre bulges are about the size of a football and they are all over the trunk of the tree.

Dick Strauss
04-15-2006, 11:22 PM
Bob,
If you are thinking of turning willow burls, you might want to reconsider. Willow has such horrible tear-out when you turn it because the wood fibers are soft and flexible. Trust me, I know from experience...don't waste your time!

Give it a try but don't invest too much time...

Bob Weisner
04-15-2006, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the replies.

It is a neighbor's tree and I think it might be cut down in a year or so. Never seen Willow burl before.

Paul Downes
04-16-2006, 1:46 AM
Most burls I've seen do grow out from the side of a tree but not neccessarily from the main trunk. There was a maple near by that had so many burls growing out of it all over the place that it actually looked rather grotesque. Some of them were as big or bigger that bushel baskets. When the house was sold the new owner cut the tree down and I noticed that he cut all the burls off. I got the impression that he was going to maket them. Wished I had stopped and asked. They are quite common in some areas. I know some loggers that regularly cut them off and maket them. One told me he gets $10 to $50 per burl depending on the size and quality. Pretty good way to pad the pay check.

Bill Grumbine
04-16-2006, 8:06 AM
Hi Bob

Unless there are lots of little shoots starting out of the lump, it is fairly hard to tell if it is a burl until you cut into it somehow. Lumps can also be scabs from old branches that have been broken off and grown over, or they can just be lumps. Up here in eastern PA there are hundreds of American sycamore trees that are absolutely covered with large and small lumps. On first inspection they seem to be burls, but as it turns out, they are just lumps.

Bill

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-16-2006, 9:38 AM
Probably just breasts.