PDA

View Full Version : Easter Eggs

Lee DeRaud
04-15-2006, 9:53 PM
Something GF's sister suggested: you wrap the raw eggs with onion skin while you're boiling them. Tried it with a few raw eggs we had on hand...results came out looking like wood:
First I'd heard of this, but the results are sure impressive.

John Hart
04-15-2006, 10:01 PM
Wow...that's cool Lee. How do you get the onion skin to stick to the egg? Or do you wrap them after they've been in the bath for a bit?

Ken Fitzgerald
04-15-2006, 10:14 PM
And what was the person doing that found this out?......Let's see.....I've got eggs.......I've got onion skins......I wonder what would happen if I'd wrap the eggs with onion skins and boil them........:rolleyes:

Lee DeRaud
04-15-2006, 10:20 PM
How do you get the onion skin to stick to the egg?Rubber bands. I think the variation in the color is partly due to how tightly the onion skin is pressed to the egg at any given spot.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-16-2006, 2:51 AM
So the onion skin just comes off and the color from the oninon skins dye the eggs? Cool, I wonder if other leaves would work?

Cheers!

Dennis Peacock
04-16-2006, 7:22 AM
So the onion skin just comes off and the color from the oninon skins dye the eggs? Cool, I wonder if other leaves would work?

Cheers!

Hummmmm....I wonder what would happen if I wrapped some eggs in some burl veneer? :eek: :rolleyes: :D :D

Happy Easter to each of you.

John Hart
04-16-2006, 8:30 AM
My girls attend a Slovenian School each Saturday to learn the language and culture. It was shown to me this morning that they made Easter Eggs last week in school in the olden-style Slovenian way. They used Onion Skins, Beets, Red Cabbage and a variety of other vegetables for dyes. They were able to cut out patterns in the onion skins and stick those to the eggs to transfer the designs to the eggs. Evidently, Celery leaves make nice patterns too. ......Mother of Invention. :)