PDA

View Full Version : Project In Progress #2

Christopher K. Hartley
04-15-2006, 7:20 PM
I've decided to not finish these next few projects until I have a chuck. I don't want to take the chance of messing them up. The second is pine. I don't know if I like this one or not.

Chris Barton
04-15-2006, 7:37 PM
That bowl looks good Chris! A chuck will make it easier but, I have really discovered the realm of sacrificial faceplates and jam chucks. Without at least one of those my egg wouldn't have happened.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-15-2006, 8:12 PM
Chris.........Your projects are looking great. As Chris Barton stated though...jam chucks and sacrificial friction chucks work great too! Have you seen Richard Raffan videos? Most of his work he turns a friction chuck...a sacrificial piece of wood and forces/snaps his project on it. Then he finishes it. Something to consider.........

Corey Hallagan
04-15-2006, 8:20 PM
Chris, I think you got a nice shape started there. Hope it turns out well for you when you get your chuck!

Corey

Frank Chaffee
04-15-2006, 8:35 PM
I don't know if I like this one or not.
Well darn Christopher,
You indecisive son of a gun you, it didn’t take me but the merest fraction of a second to know that I like it!
Frank

Bernie Weishapl
04-15-2006, 10:31 PM
Christopher your projects are looking mighty good. Like the form. Great work.

George Conklin
04-15-2006, 11:08 PM
Hi Chris,
Is that the grain of the wood on the bowl on the left? If it is, it's VERY cool looking! Both of those are definitely keepers in my book!

A scroll chuck will make life much easier. If you have Bill G's video, he shows how to make a compression chuck. That'll make turning bottoms a lot easier also. He also shows how to make a friction chuck. Definitely the best video out there, IMO.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-16-2006, 4:31 PM
I have really discovered the realm of sacrificial faceplates and jam chucks. Without at least one of those my egg wouldn't have happened.

As Chris Barton stated though...jam chucks and sacrificial friction chucks work great too! Have you seen Richard Raffan videos? Most of his work he turns a friction chuck...a sacrificial piece of wood and forces/snaps his project on it. Then he finishes it. Something to consider.........

I will take both your advice and try the alternative chucks for now. Thanks.

Hi Chris, Is that the grain of the wood on the bowl on the left? If it is, it's VERY cool looking! Both of those are definitely keepers in my book!

What you see is the grain (yellow) and I believe spalting (greenishblack)

Thanks everyone. I'll try some additional ones.