PDA

View Full Version : Weekend doin's

Bob Lasley
08-22-2003, 9:24 AM
Good Friday Morning All,

It's going to be another hot one here in Okieland, but I am looking forward to some shop time this weekend. SWMBO hasn't told me of too many distractions for the weekend............yet! She sometimes likes to surprise me with these. I hope to complete the KD bookcase this weekend, except for applying the finish.

Anything cooking in your shop this weekend? Whatever your plans and whatever you end up doing, have a safe and enjoyable weekend.

Bob

Jim Becker
08-22-2003, 9:31 AM
I'll be installing the remaining base cabinets, sink and associated plumbing, dishwashers for my kitchen renovation and hopefully, I'll have time to get the wainscot and trip up, at least some of it. The former all needs to get done so I can be ready for the countertop folks...it's a floating date for them since it's such a small job.

Mike Schwing
08-22-2003, 10:07 AM
I'm having a really hard time finding/making the time to get in the shop. The garden/yard need to be trimmed and thinned badly. The new french doors we had installed need to have the exterior trim painted - they're mildewing already. Plus, I've got the East Coast Triathlon Championships on the 28th of September, in which I've got a good shot at first place, so I'm training hard for that as well.

I need to final sand the feet on the queen anne tea table I'm working so that I can dye the sucker. I just can't even make the couple of hours necessary for it. I need a rainy day for that, I think, and there's none in sight.

At least I'm not doing plumbing like Jim.

Jim Becker
08-22-2003, 10:14 AM
At least I'm not doing plumbing like Jim.

Ah, but it's just a small step to make all my shop-work become usable! SWMBO, rightly so, expects that we have some form of working sink in the kitchen, so if I disconnect the temporary "back-ache inspiring" laundry tub, I'll have to make the nice new one work, even with a temporary counter top and the old faucet until the soapstone is installed. I can't make the temp sink work with the cabinet in place, unfortunately. Now...if I can just have all the right parts in hand all at once, it will be a smooth process...I hope... :eek:

Scott Coffelt
08-22-2003, 10:34 AM
I am hoping the string of 104-106 degree days come to an end soon. In the mean time, I have to replace some of the piping around the control valve of my sprinkler system. Install a new sprinkler head, move three. Fun to by outside when its hot.

I hope to paint the stereo cabinet, start building some small doors for a storage unit, and begin designing the next project.

Concert tonight (outdoor venue), will be a smoker, Sammy Haggar and Montrose. Good beer drinking music, though.

Finally, catch my Wildcats at the BCA CLassic on Saturday, College football season is about to start. Yippee.

Don Farr
08-22-2003, 10:44 AM
Well since I got the grass cut yesterday and made my wife happy by getting rid of Jake the snake, maybe I can squeeze in enough shop time to finish the bandsaw table that I have been working on for three months. It's like the one Mike posted pics of a week or so ago.

Keith Starosta
08-22-2003, 12:37 PM
Saturday is our long-awaited baby shower, which is being held at a neighbor's house, so there is a real good shot at getting some shop time on Saturday afternoon. I'm hoping to cobble together a flip-top table, much like the one Bob posted about a few weeks ago. Other than that, it'll just be hanging out with my family, keeping cool... :D

Byron Trantham
08-22-2003, 1:16 PM
I started the second of three pieces of baby furniture for the kids. This one is the changing station (Crib is last). Have some of the pieces already cut and edge glued. I'm working on the three vertical panels now. I'm hoping to have the carcass dry fitted by the end of the weekend.

Everyone have a safe weekend.

Paul Geer
08-22-2003, 1:48 PM
Finish vanity I started last weekend, make the drawer boxes and drawer fronts, and make the doors. (R&S with classic bead, all rased panel). after that stain.

Take test to be certified at our HVAC supply house this Friday so I can buy and install Gastite flexible gas line. Part of my house remodeling plans to heat the garage where the shop is right now and maybe this winter.

Have the best weekend ever! :cool:

Bart Leetch
08-22-2003, 2:06 PM
I'll be spending a good deal of time Fri & Sat with Sophie & friends @ Sophie & Becky's place enjoying good friends, wood working tales conversation & maybe a little turning not to mention all the good food.

Steve Clardy
08-22-2003, 6:04 PM
Going to a car and parts swap meet in Springfield, MO.
Its a 3 day event, but just going saturday with my father-in-law and youngest son. Looking for 1978 F-100 parts and some 460 engine goodies. Planning a resto maybe this winter on my 78 short narrow bed pickup. Has 60000 org. miles, but needs some tender loving care.
Then back to spraying cabinet doors so maybe I can finish installing them sunday or monday and get PAID!!!!!!! Steve :D

Phil Phelps
08-22-2003, 9:04 PM
.... but now I get to work the weekend :( And I haven't played golf since I sliced up my finger to get attention :rolleyes: I'll be awsome when I return. ;)

Todd Burch
08-22-2003, 10:42 PM
Phil - were you "awesome" @ golf before you sliced your finger? (Or did you "hook" your finger!!!)

Keith Starosta - no baby furniture? Get with it man!

Steve Clardy - I gave up getting my hands greasy for wood work in '93. Haven't looked back. (Although I replaced my A/C system in my '97 Chevy a few weeks back... Ugg.)

Jim Becker - you still working on that Kitchen? Come on man!! Finish that thing already!!

Mike Schwing - my wife does the yard work. Figure it out man! Triathalon eh? I'm impressed!

Bart - have a cool one for me @ the picnic.

Don - my wife would be upset if I got rid of Jake the Snake....

As for me - I have a trash can pullout to complete and need to get back on some base cabinets that have been gathering dust for about a week. Before I can do anything, I need to clean the shop (put stuff away) so I can move around again. Saturday night is monthly "supper group" with neighborhood friends. Learned today that my 7th grader son made the "B" team for football ("A" is best, "B" is for average, "C" is all the rest). His first year playing, and my wife and I are excited!! (She's the sports fanatic in this house.) He's a wide receiver on offense and "rover" (safety) on defense. Hoo-rah! They grow up TOO fast.

Todd (in wonderful Katy, Texas. Come visit!!)

Terry Hatfield
08-22-2003, 11:03 PM
This weekend will bring to a triumphant climax the arched panel cabinet door project....Ok well at least they are going to be done this weekend. I have 17 done already and 9 to go. The first 17 I had wood wide enough to make the raised panels out of a single board. These last 9 had to be glued up. All the stiles and rails are done, so it's just a matter of doing the raised panels and getting the darn things glued together and out of my hair.

Just in time for me to get everything ready for the big BBq in 2 weeks!!!! Looks like a big crowd this year. Most, if not all of your favgorite crazy people are going to be here!!! It's not too late to get on the list. Just let me know.

Everyone have a safe one.

Terry

Matt Woodworth
08-22-2003, 11:12 PM
Hopefully, I'll complete my new workbench (http://www.employees.org/~vanguard/woodworking/projects/workbench/). It's all planed and sanded to 220. The only thing left to do is apply some watco danish oil and some wax.

Phase II will be the drawers and cabinets for under the table.

Terry Hatfield
08-22-2003, 11:38 PM
Matt,

Cool bench!!I Love the purple heart accent pieces. Good work. Nice site also. I had it in my favorites already from the "other" forum. :eek:

Don't you love it when people give you grief about building a really nice bench??? I get that too, but who cares. You should be very proud of the bench. It is a great piece of shop furniture!!

Terry

Jim Baker
08-23-2003, 5:36 AM
I should get to work on some display cabinets this morning. This afternoon, we have a wedding to attend. Tomorrow after church, I hope to move my stuff into my new office at work so things can get back to normal at work Monday.

Jim Becker
08-23-2003, 9:27 AM
Jim Becker - you still working on that Kitchen? Come on man!! Finish that thing already!!

There is that little matter of the "real job" that tends to get in the way of large projects like this! After all, even with what I'm saving by doing the work myself, I stil have to pay for it! (With SWMBO's help, of course...)