PDA

View Full Version : Busy day of turning, Mini cup #3!!

Stephen Hibbs
04-15-2006, 4:36 PM
Well, I had nothing to do today, so I decided to put some laquer on my two bowls after sanding them up, then I blew up a little bowl reverse turning, made a third mini cup, and made a champagne glass (are they called flutes?) The bowls are not reverse turned yet, and the flute(?) is sitting on the lathe with a thick coat of wiped on poly (seeing if I can get a better shine with fewer coats this way), and my blown up bowl is somewhere; leaving my mini cup as the only presentable thing I have to show for today's work.

I tried to copy mini cup #2, but alas, no dice. This one has darker white wood than the other two, though that may not be obvious in the picture. I got the walls nice and thin and followed the curve on the inside on this one. Not as smooth as the other two though
2.25"TX~2.25"W here's a group shot in order from left to right of my mini cups thus far, all 3 are from juniper:

John Hart
04-15-2006, 4:50 PM
What a happy little family you've created Stephen!!! Lookin' Good!:)

Ken Fitzgerald
04-15-2006, 6:02 PM
Lookin' Good Stephen! Keep 'um coming! Patience and practice........each project looks better than the previous and you have gained experience!

I just spent 2 hours working a full scale model spindle for some tables I'm building. Mostly using the skew...got kinda cocky.....bad news! So I decided to take a break. Going back at now. While my skewship is improving...it's gotta long way to go. I'm going to master that tool!

Keep at it Stephen!

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-15-2006, 6:11 PM
When you get them ALL done, we'll ALL be there to test them out. Party time!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce

Corey Hallagan
04-15-2006, 6:26 PM
The are looking great Steven, got some nice cups. Soon you will be turning saucers to go with them! Nice job.

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
04-15-2006, 7:11 PM
Great job Stephan. Those are some good looking cups. I am with Bruce on this one. Party time at your house.

Ernie Nyvall
04-15-2006, 9:50 PM
Good going Stephen. Nice little cups.

Ernie

Stephen Hibbs
04-16-2006, 11:02 AM
The are looking great Steven, got some nice cups. Soon you will be turning saucers to go with them! Nice job.

Corey
That's a great idea! I have been saving all those little scrap pieces from various projects, I knew I could do something with those. Thanks Corey. So how many of these would I have to make if all of you came over? I was actually thinking of making them into candleholders, but who says they can't be dual purpose turnings?