PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove wax???

Brian Hale
04-15-2006, 11:28 AM
Someone screwed up a finish I'm working on :rolleyes: and i need to remove the wax (from rubbing it out) to add another layer of finish. What's the best way, mineral spirits?

Thanks

Brian :)

Gary Keedwell
04-15-2006, 11:31 AM
Yes....Mineral Spirits....elbow grease...and alot of rags or paper towels.

Frank Fusco
04-15-2006, 6:06 PM
turpentine.

David Eisenhauer
04-15-2006, 11:46 PM
Naptha or maybe called VMP Naptha, same thing. Good for wax removal, general pre-finishing wipedown, label remover, and wiping poly thinner for slightly faster drying than mineral spirits.

Bob Rufener
04-16-2006, 12:11 AM
You might try using an iron over an absorbent cloth or heavy paper toweling to try to melt and absorb a majority of the wax. I have never tried this before on wood but it should work. This would be followed by a solvent and scrubbing. Good luck!

Allen Bookout
04-16-2006, 1:42 AM
Has anyone tried the wax remover that the automotive guys use to remove wax from automobiles before sanding and painting. I know it works great for that purpose but do not know about furniture wax and wood finishes. If it did work it would save a lot of elbow grease. Allen

lou sansone
04-16-2006, 7:03 AM
Has anyone tried the wax remover that the automotive guys use to remove wax from automobiles before sanding and painting. I know it works great for that purpose but do not know about furniture wax and wood finishes. If it did work it would save a lot of elbow grease. Allen

yes ... have used this for 10 years with very good success... ppg "acrylic- clean". It supposedly removes waxes and silicones. years ago in my former electrician days, I worked for an electrical sigh company. We built all types of lighted signs and had a 20 foot spray booth for finishing them. all surfaces were always wiped down with this cleaner to prevent fish eye. I have used it ever since in cases like this.

Lou

Howard Acheson
04-16-2006, 12:16 PM
Any petroleum based chemical will work. Mineral spirits (aka Paint Remover), naphtha, or kerosene. Turpentine, lacquer thinner, alcohol and acetone will also work but, depending on the underlying finish, may damage the finish. Best bet is mineral spirits.

Just be sure to use lots of paper towels and keep a fresh face on the towels to avoid just smearing it around.

Brian Hale
04-16-2006, 1:14 PM
Well i did the MS thing and it seemed to do just fine. Lots of towels and rubbing it came right off. Thanks!!

Brian :)

scott spencer
04-16-2006, 1:50 PM
Well i did the MS thing and it seemed to do just fine. Lots of towels and rubbing it came right off. Thanks!!

Brian :) I was going to suggest a Q-Tip b/c they work so well removing wax for "other applications" :D, but I see that you got plenty of help and already succeeded, so never mind. Happer Easter though! :)