PDA

View Full Version : Grinder Recommendations

Jason Morgan
04-15-2006, 10:27 AM
I am getting ready to assemble my turning package and I was wondering what grinder to get. My budget allows <$200. I know the tormek is the end all be all of sharpening devices, but can I do well with a 2 speed delta for $119? I am mostly concerned with sharpening for turning, but I would also like a general purpose grinder for lawn tools (should I buy that separately for $30 at harbor freight?)

Thanks for the advice.

Bernie Weishapl
04-15-2006, 10:31 AM
Jason I have two grinders. One is a HF kick around and the other is my turning grinder. I don't like using my good grinding wheels on stuff like lawn mower blades.

Pat Salter
04-15-2006, 10:48 AM
I'm with Bernie on that one. The family got me one of the slow grinders from woodcraft for Christmas and it's been great. You may also want to concider one of the jigs like Oneway has. I have that also and it REALLY helps me.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-15-2006, 10:49 AM
Jason.....I'm just getting into turning too! I purchased the Woodcraft slowspeed grinder (1725 rpm) for turning tool sharpening. Like you, I'm a little concerned about using it to grind lawnmower blades. I'l probably buy another grinder for general grinding needs.

The Woodcraft slowspeed model was or is on sale for $69......I paid $89.

Also........consider getting a grinding jig system as it will speed up your ability to accurately and repetitively sharpen your turning tools. I have the Wolverine grinding jig system and find it easy and quick to use! THere are other systems out there and some folks have actually made their own grinding jigs.

Good luck with your decision!

Ken Garlock
04-15-2006, 11:00 AM
Great minds work in the same channels.:cool:

I too have two grinders. A Grizzly for the crude work like sharpening lawn mower blades and shovels. I also have a Baldor 1800 RPM slow grinder for the real work.

Let me suggest that you invest in a good set of grinding jigs like those from Lee Valley, at least for the 'real work.'

Just as important is a good diamond dressing tool to keep the wheels clean. If you don't dress the wheels, the surface gets clogged with debris and the wheel ends up 'buffing' rather than grinding. Buffing is where the burning shows up. I got my 2 carat dressing tool from MCS Industrial Supply (http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm)in Chicago. Yes they cost a little, say about $50+, but that will be the last one you need to buy.

tod evans
04-15-2006, 11:04 AM
a cheap hillbilly tip on wheel dressers, for years i`ve been using the diamond segments from old concrete core bits to dress my wheels. i just braze them to a stick of scrap steel. cost nothing as i have a friend who retips core bits...02 tod

John Hart
04-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Jason...I've had good success with my two grinders...Both Craftsman...one low speed and one fast. I use the higher speed grinder more often. My personal findings are that it is in maintaining a steady angle on your grind that is most important. I've somehow managed to do that with what I have....and spent less than $150 total for everything.

Curt Fuller
04-15-2006, 12:51 PM
For my two cents, I'd say that just about any grinder will work. I bought a Ryobi at HD for about 50 bucks. What will make the bigger difference will be 1. getting a couple of good wheels. I like the Norton white 60 and 100 grit myself. Keep them dressed up. And 2. get or make a good grinding jig. I have a Wolverine by Oneway that made all the difference in the world compared to freehanding.

Paul Douglass
04-15-2006, 12:57 PM
When I was looking for grinders, the recommendations I got lead me to believe it was better to get one that tool 8" wheels. So I bought the woodcraft $69 one and it seems to do the job. It looks to me like it is easier to get a varity of 8" wheels than 6".

Andy Hoyt
04-15-2006, 1:19 PM
The advantage of an eight inch wheel is two-fold.

First there is more surface area exposed to the steel per revolution and as such the wheel shouldn't heat up as much.
And secondly, the larger wheel also produces a bevel with lesser concavity, which is what you want. This second point is a bit nit picky though at least from my perspective.As for the 1725 rpm (low speed) or 3400 rpm (high speed) debate --- I think it pretty much boils down to personal preference and comfort zone stuff; especially now that any decent tool will be produced in HSS which can tolerate the heat generated by the higher speed.

Jason Boushard
04-15-2006, 2:28 PM
woodcraft does have the 8 inch grinder on sale I just went and got one today for 69 bucks

Jason Morgan
04-15-2006, 3:39 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. Looks like the woodcraft slow speed and a wolverine jig will be just the thing. I cant wait to get going on this. Next week Ill put in my order for a Jet 1442 VS lathe. My Sorby starter set should already be on its way and Im still deciding on the SuperNova2 (whether to start with that now or wait till I need it)

Thanks again!

Jason Boushard
04-15-2006, 9:05 PM
woodcraft also has a jet mini with nova chuck for 269 right now might want to buy that first

Matt Meiser
04-15-2006, 9:19 PM
I also have two grinders, one a Woodcraft and the other a Clarke (like HF). The advantage of the second is that I keep the harder wheels on it which don't wear out as fast when doing rough grinding tasks like sharpening mower blades or grinding a bolt. That saves wear and tear on my more expensive white wheels. I also keep a wire wheel on the cheapie for cleaning stuff up.

John Kain
04-15-2006, 9:27 PM
Amen for 2 grinder idea.

I have a fast craftsman for mower blades, etc. I'm getting closer to buying a slower one for more delicate hand tool sharpening.

I'd go with E-Ba* in order to find a fast grinder. Maybe $9 at most.