PDA

View Full Version : windows (not computers)

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-15-2006, 7:56 AM
I'm looking for a resource for framing (not rough), joints, and details for old fashioned job built wood windows.
I can reinvent the wheel or I can use what has worked for ages.

However, findiong a resource is the problem. There are books a-plenty but mostly they deal with trim, roughing in the opening and the like as almost no one actually makes job built windows any more.

I have Gaspar Lewis' book "Carpentry" (pub 1984, Sterling Press) which is pretty good but not quite what Im looking for.

I have looked at Wiliam Spence's work. He's pretty much into helping the novice select a pre-made unit and then installing that.

Anyone got a resourse?

tod evans
04-15-2006, 8:23 AM
cliff, try "george collings circular work in carpentry and joinery" it contains a wealth of information on building both doors and windows albiet radiused. while i`m here......buy your windows from a reputable manufacturer! i build radiused windows and doors for folks who won`t listen to reason, the simple fact is that wood rots, it requires maintainance, is dificult to seal well and it rots...02 tod

lou sansone
04-15-2006, 11:21 AM
cliff
if you must build your own, I would recommend pattern grade Honduran mahogany for rot Resistance. I have built quite a few for my 1730's home and they really have come out nice.

Lou

Chris Rosenberger
04-15-2006, 12:00 PM
I have set of woodworking books that are reprints from late 1800 & early 1900. The set Title is "The Modern Carpenter Joiner & Cabinet-Maker". A book in the set titled "Mastery of Joinery & Business" has a chapter on window making.