PDA

View Full Version : My first table is done!

scott kinninger
04-14-2006, 6:32 PM
Here is my fist "bigger" project, up to this point all I've built is little stuff like picture frames, step stools... I needed a table for my front hall way and I'm really happy about how it turned out.

I didn't use any plans other than what I had in my head and a couple of little sketches, so I guess it's original but it seems to very similar to a lot of other hall tables I've seen posted here. It's made of solid cherry, 30" tall, 15" wide, and about 35" long. I learned a lot along the way about mortise & loose tenons, sanding through the grits and not skipping any, plastic resin glue, flattening wide glue-ups, grain matching (the most difficult part in my opinion)... The finish is 4 coats Waterlox Original, then rubbed out with 2f & 4f pumice and a light rubbing with rottenstone.

The only things that I would do differently next time would be to keep the table top as thick as I could (using 4/4 wood), and cut a little less taper in the legs because I think they have a bit of a "splayed" look to them even though they're not.

After I got the table done I had to build a matching frame for the existing mirror that was in the hall.

Thanks for looking!

Ted Jay
04-14-2006, 6:37 PM
Very nice Scott...!

Don Dean
04-14-2006, 7:10 PM
Great table. Can't wait until I build my first big project and hope it turns out as great as your table.

scott spencer
04-14-2006, 7:11 PM
Nice work Scott. It looks really elegant!

Dan Oliphant
04-14-2006, 7:14 PM
You have a nice piece of furniture there, well done.

Vaughn McMillan
04-14-2006, 7:30 PM
Nice job, Scott, and I'm sure it'll be a great addition to your house.

- Vaughn

Steve Clardy
04-14-2006, 7:54 PM
Looks great Scott!!!

Larry Norton
04-14-2006, 8:01 PM
It's beautiful, Scott! How many times have you gone out of your way to look at it? You will never tire of looking at it.

Larry

Ken Fitzgerald
04-14-2006, 8:07 PM
Very, very nice Scott!

David Rose
04-14-2006, 8:11 PM
Beautiful, Scott!

One of the nice things about a place like the creek is that our minds can accumulate ideas without us even realizing it. Things that go in our eyes are written to our "hard drives" whether we know it or not. Sometimes it isn't so easy to get them back out :rolleyes: but that is another story. Sounds like either a lesson from my pastor or from the Bible. :o Come to think of it... But it works for the positive as well as the negative, fortunately. ;) You did well.

David

Frank Chaffee
04-14-2006, 8:29 PM
Excellent table Scott,
And that the table and mirror finishes match the wood in your house shows that you have become a heck of a fine finisher as well!
Frank

Jerry Olexa
04-14-2006, 9:24 PM
Very nice work....Well done

lou sansone
04-14-2006, 9:52 PM
refreshing to see nice woodworking

best wishes
lou

Jim Becker
04-14-2006, 10:07 PM
Looks very nice to me, Scott!

George Kretschmann
04-14-2006, 10:24 PM
That looks good, who is in the picture on the table?:D

Michael Adelong
04-15-2006, 9:07 AM
Excellent work, Scott. Nice match to the house trim, and I think the legs look fine as they are. I think that you've looked at it for so long that you see the "splayed" legs that none of us can. Just tell everyone that the legs came out exactly as you intended and call it a day. Personally, I wouldn't say a thing about them. Let your friends and family do the fireworks routine (ooooh.... ahhhhhh...) uninterrupted. Awesome work.

Michael

scott kinninger
04-15-2006, 9:11 AM
Thank you guys for all of you kind words. I have gone out of my way more times than I can count just to look at it and run my fingers over the top, and I'm not done yet.

The girl in the picture is the most beautiful woman I've ever met and she happens to be my girlfriend for 2+ years. ;) She picked out the plant and candles.

tod evans
04-15-2006, 9:20 AM
nice work scott!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-15-2006, 9:35 AM
Wow, that sure is nice!

Great Job!!!

Maurice Metzger
04-15-2006, 2:03 PM
Scott, I think the taper on the legs is great. I've read comments on Shaker tables that admire the fact that the taper makes the legs seem splayed without actual splaying - think it was the Becksvoort book, but I'm not sure.

If I had to quibble about anything, it would be the lack of construction photos :) ...

Maurice

Brett Baldwin
04-15-2006, 6:30 PM
Very nice pieces Scott. A very nice compliment to that short wall.

Corey Hallagan
04-15-2006, 7:23 PM
Excellent work Scott! You did a great job on your first larger project. Sounds like you learned alot!

Corey

John Miliunas
04-15-2006, 7:31 PM
Very well done, Scott! And, you didn't have to tell us that's your "first big project"!!! Hrmmmph! Made me feel bad! :rolleyes: One of my favorite wood flavors, no less. Good job! :) :cool:

Jason Tuinstra
04-15-2006, 8:59 PM
Scott, it turned out great. Isn't it nice to just follow the plans of your own making. Just something about doing it that way. Very nice work! Looks like it has found a nice home.

Mark Pruitt
04-16-2006, 10:45 AM
well done, Scott!

ROBERT ELLIS
04-16-2006, 11:44 AM
Nice looking table! I'll have to ditto Maurices' comments, he was correct in pointing out tapered legs take on a "splayed" look. Having built perhaps hundreds of these type tables, I finally got used to the fact they will always look a little splayed, if you look long and hard enough. BTW, I wonder what was your measurement at the point where the taper ends? I typically liked using 1 inch to make them a little beefier, but I think the Shakers took them down to 3/4 or 7/8.

Robert