PDA

View Full Version : Nail hole filler in Oak

Mark Rios
04-14-2006, 4:56 PM
Can you folks kindly tell me what to fill the nail holes with in the oak window trim discussed in this thread? Brand and color is what I'm looking for, color mainly.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34709

Do I get filler to match the unfinished wood or do I match the oak after it has been lacquered?

This is white oak trimming out a kitchen window, matching the brand new white oak cabinets just installed. The finish is just clear lacquer over a clear sanding sealer, no tint or stain.

Do I maybe get a bunch of sanding dust from the wood prep and mix it with Titebond II (the only glue I have) and make a putty?

I'm really no good at finishing so I don't do much of it so I'm really flying by the seat of my pants on this one. The customer decided to trim the window out AFTER the painter was done with the cabs and he said that he couldn't come back for a couple of weeks and that it would be expensive for him to come back for a little job like this. I just think that he really didn't want to do a tiny job like this. Regardless, I'm stuck doing it.

Thank you very, very much for your help and advice.

Jim Becker
04-14-2006, 5:51 PM
Apply your finish except for the last coat. Then fill the holes with a colored filler stick that most closely matches your finished wood color. Put on your final coat of finish.

Matt Meiser
04-14-2006, 6:21 PM
I've had good luck with the Minwax stainable filler.

Steve Clardy
04-14-2006, 6:24 PM
I do it three different ways. Just depends on the job.
You can mix glue and wood dust. Make a real mucky, dry mixture. Too much glue and it will show.
Second I use famowood solvent base filler. Dries very fast. Apply, sand right in.
Or, as Jim says, use a color stick or putty.
I use the minwax colored putty.

Mark Rios
04-14-2006, 6:41 PM
Thanks very much for the replies.

So, do I finish a scrap piece and take it with me to the Borg and match it up there? Or is there one color, i.e. "Natural Oak" or "Clear Oak"?

Thanks again very much.

Steve Clardy
04-14-2006, 6:54 PM
Theres several color variations on Oak. Takealong scrap would be good.

David Eisenhauer
04-14-2006, 8:52 PM
Normally, these hole fillers are applied just prior to the last, final clear topcoat. I haven't used Minwax (mostly Famowood or the glue/dust mixture before I gave up and quit making holes in FF), so maybe it will stain, but most of these colored fill-ins need to be selected after everything has affected the color of the wood. They don't tend to stain or color the same as the surrounding wood in my experience.