PDA

View Full Version : Epilog problem

Patrick Dillon
04-14-2006, 4:27 PM
I was having a problem with raster engraving lining up with a vector outline. I talked to tech support several times but with no positive results.
After cleaning everything and adjusting x travel belt tension the machine now goes beserk. It will vector a square fine once, then when I fill the box
to raster, it goes all over the place. Then when I instruct it to vector the
box again, it does but in a entirely different location. Has anyone encountered behavior like this? Its a Epilog 100 watt.

On a similar note, explaining problems to tech support and them trying to guess the solution seems to be a hit or miss proposition. By the way, Epilog has been very pleasant and helpful when they could. Why don't
manfactures post a database of problems and their solutions. It would take a great burden off their support, and save customers time and money
(many long distance calls). Thank you
Pat Dillon

Bruce Volden
04-14-2006, 4:51 PM
After cleaning everything and adjusting x travel belt tension the machine now goes beserk.

Pat,

You mentioned cleaning "everything". I too had a similar problem where the machine would "go crazy". I also called Epilog. My machine is a TT35. Anyway what I found was dirt / fuzz on the plastic linear encoder. I cleaned that up along with the optic sensor it fits into and I was back in business. I know it's not the same machine as yours but I have found most companies will stick with something that works.

On my machine it is located under the cover plate for the Y axis. Loosened the screws up and it is a "clear" strip of plastic / mylar? that runs the width of the table. Close inspection will reveal a 300 pulse per inch silkscreening? on it. Maybe this will help??????

Bruce

Dick Morgan
04-16-2006, 9:28 PM
Hi Pat,
I had the same type of problem on my Epilog 75. It would reach a point and start marking or cutting all over the place.
I was told to clean the mylar linear encoder.
I was told to use only a dry qtip and no solvent. They told me that solvent may remove the markings.
I cleaned it and removed the grease that was on it and everything worked fine.
Hope this helps
Dick

Patrick Dillon
04-17-2006, 2:25 PM
Thanks for your suggestions. I will do just that once I discover where the
encoders are and how to get at them. I did find a problem-I upgraded to XP home edition and didn't realize the firmware would not support it, so it's back to win 98. Thanks again

Nick Napier
04-17-2006, 8:29 PM
Hi, I have a 45 watt epilog and it runs fine with xp. I am using the pro version but there shouldn't be that much difference. The encoder strip is under the grey cover that has epilog's web site on it. Four screws and you don't even have to take them all the way out. Just loosen and lift off. Look the for thin plastic strip the runs all the way from left to right, or is it right to left....any way clean as instructed in the manual the comes with the machine. Should fix the problems. Also you can vector and raster under the same print command.

Nick

Michael McDuffie
04-17-2006, 9:40 PM
Thanks for your suggestions. I will do just that once I discover where the
encoders are and how to get at them. I did find a problem-I upgraded to XP home edition and didn't realize the firmware would not support it, so it's back to win 98. Thanks again
The firmware should handle any OS that sends a Post Script file. The printer driver does not. What you need to do if you upgrade to above Win98 is download (http://www.epiloglaser.com/downloads.htm) the new printer driver from Epilog.

I started with Win95, stepped up Win98 and now run XP home all with the same Legend 24 I've had for nearly five years now. All the while running INTELLIscribe through a Lynksys cable/DSL router.

Michael

David Sparks
04-23-2006, 8:40 AM
I was wondering if you found out what the problem was with your laser. I'm considering buying an Epilog and want to learn all I can about them and how the company supports their customers.

Patrick Dillon
04-23-2006, 1:49 PM
No, I haven't resolved the problem yet. I don't think its dirty encoders as on my machine the encoders are built into the motors. It could be a loose pulley on the x axis on a bad tooth on the belt. I will tear it apart as soon as I can find time. As for Epilogue support, even though my machine is long out of warranty. they always try to help. I would not hesitate to buy another Epilog. Thanks Pat Dillon

David Sparks
04-23-2006, 4:45 PM
That's what I wanted to know. I hope you will get your laser up and running soon.

David

Joe Pelonio
04-23-2006, 8:18 PM
Pat,

Did you sent he file to Epilog to have them try running it? If not, maybe someone else on the forum has the same machine (mine's a Legend 24TT 45 watt) just to confirm that it's not a software issue.

Robert Bosworth
04-24-2006, 11:49 AM
Patrick --

What model of machine is this? I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems. These sorts of things can be frustrating. I assume it's a Legend 32 (non EX) 100-watt?

Robert
www.usedlasers.com

Peck Sidara
04-24-2006, 2:44 PM
Dear Patrick,

Unfortunately I can't find you in our database so I'm not sure what machine you have. I appreciate your comments regarding our support but am more concerned about why your machine is not back up and running.

In most cases, problems are diagnosed and parts (if necessary) are overnighted within the same day of the call. However there are cases where the problem is not as straight forward as we'd like. In those cases, we may require digital pictures or samples of what the problem looks like to determine what questions to ask and how to go about trouble-shooting.

I am still unclear as to what the actual problem is but I'm certain we can get it fixed. If possible, give us a call at 303.215.9171 and one of my techs will be able to assist. If not, provide your number and time where you'll be at the machine so we can start the trouble-shooting process again.

Let us know and we'll go from there.

Regards,
Peck Sidara
Epilog Technical Support

Patrick Dillon
04-24-2006, 6:06 PM
I found the x-axis pulley bracket was loose so I knew I had solved my problem! Retighened and put everything back together. Same problem!
So I will tear it down again (I think I could do this in my sleep) and investigate further. As you might have noticed, Peck from Epilog chimed in
to offer help. Any questions as to why I would buy another Epilog!
Thanks to everyone for their help. By the way its an older Express model
but it great shape (well not right now) and works great. Thanks again

Michael McDuffie
04-25-2006, 11:31 PM
Patrick,
Your machine uses stepper motors as does my Legend 24. Stepper motors don't have encoders, instead the electronics keeps track of the commanded steps.

Nope, not true they use servos

When the Y beam motor went up in smoke on my machine, Epilog had one on my doorstep the next day and gave me a week to send the old one back.

Michael

Michael McDuffie
04-25-2006, 11:41 PM
Another thought.

Vector your box, raster something then hit reset which should send it home. Now redo the vector. Did it end up in the same spot? If so, I still think it's losing steps. Aso try rastering at a slow speed and low power to see if it works then.

These checks may give Epilog enough data to help you.

Michael

Dave Fifield
04-25-2006, 11:58 PM
Another thought. Check and see that the gantry is running in the side tracks properly and that it hasn't "jumped the rails". My old 24TT did this after it got moved once. It took me a while to find why the x position was being screwed up every now and again (every time the gantry wheels got bound on the sides). I'm not sure if your laser is the same, but just in case, try putting it in the mode where your x and y are disconnected (free) and see if you can easily push the gantry back and forth - any binding will soon be apparent. Oh, wait, Michael just said this I think....oh well, doesn't hurt to repeat and let you know I had a similar problem plus the solution.....

Dave F.

Michael McDuffie
04-26-2006, 12:18 AM
Another thought. Check and see that the gantry is running in the side tracks properly and that it hasn't "jumped the rails". My old 24TT did this after it got moved once. It took me a while to find why the x position was being screwed up every now and again (every time the gantry wheels got bound on the sides). I'm not sure if your laser is the same, but just in case, try putting it in the mode where your x and y are disconnected (free) and see if you can easily push the gantry back and forth - any binding will soon be apparent. Oh, wait, Michael just said this I think....oh well, doesn't hurt to repeat and let you know I had a similar problem plus the solution.....

Dave F.

Good suggestion, and oh yea, I forgot about "disable axis" in the service menu.

Michael

Roy Brewer
04-26-2006, 2:06 AM
Your machine uses stepper motors as does my Legend 24.

Michael,

Since misunderstandings sometimes cause grief, both Legend and the Express use servo motors for X/Y motion. Encoders? Definitely.

Michael McDuffie
04-26-2006, 4:27 AM
Roy,

I sit corrected. I made an assumption based on the fact that the rotory fixture uses a 2 phase 0.9 degree stepper. The X and Y do use servos, I verified it at the motor manufacturers web site. Could be why the rotory is inaccurate.

None of that "missed step" stuff applies to the X and Y axis.

My bad,

Michael

Dave Jones
04-26-2006, 10:21 AM
If the linear encoder is dirty it can have the effect of "missing steps" sort of like a stepper would (even though it's a closed loop servo). The linear encoder is a thin strip with lines on it and if it gets dirty the sensor can miss lines or mistake dust for a line, hence the wrong number of pulses getting to the feedback control circuit of the servo loop.

Michael McDuffie
04-26-2006, 1:40 PM
If the linear encoder is dirty it can have the effect of "missing steps" sort of like a stepper would (even though it's a closed loop servo). The linear encoder is a thin strip with lines on it and if it gets dirty the sensor can miss lines or mistake dust for a line, hence the wrong number of pulses getting to the feedback control circuit of the servo loop.

Tis true but my Legend has the encoder on the back of the motor and it seem to be well sealed.

Michael

Dave Jones
04-26-2006, 5:16 PM
Tis true but my Legend has the encoder on the back of the motor

On both axis? I thought they've been using the linear encoder on the X axis for quite a long time. (I could be totally wrong on that)

Michael McDuffie
04-26-2006, 6:19 PM
On both axis? I thought they've been using the linear encoder on the X axis for quite a long time. (I could be totally wrong on that)

Yes, on both axis, my Legend is coming up on five years old.

Michael

Patrick Dillon
05-01-2006, 8:24 PM
Problem solved! It was the x axis drive motor pulley that had become loose. Tightened it and everything is fine. By the way Epilog tech support
(Peck Sidara) had emailed me to suggest the exact same thing. I again want to thank everyone for their help. Pat Dillon

Dave Fifield
05-02-2006, 6:11 AM
Glad to hear you have it fixed Patrick :) ....engrave on!!

Cheers,
Dave F.