PDA

View Full Version : endgrain sanding question

Stephen Hibbs
04-14-2006, 11:38 AM
I'm working on a pine bowl that I like, but the endgrain won't sand out, it's just really grossly torn out. However, I have let it dry a bit, and I'm wondering if it will sand out better now that it's not wet. Is this the case, or am I going to have to use mineral spirits and such? I already ruined another bowl of the same pine because I gave up trying to get the endgrain nice and now the varnish on those areas looks bad. In general will something sand better wet or dry?

Ken Fitzgerald
04-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Stephen...........do a search on epoxy manhatten?.........You're not the only one combating this problem and people are using different things including shellac to stiffen the fibers and then make the final scraper cuts to eliminate it.

I had the same experiece on the two maple/purpleheart/maple bowls I've made so far.

Stephen Hibbs
04-14-2006, 12:40 PM
would Ca glue work?

Rich Stewart
04-14-2006, 4:20 PM
I, too, have troubles still with end-grain. Will sanding sealer help with this problem? I have just been sanding the livin daylights out of it with some heavy grits to get get rid of it. I can still see it when the piece is finished although it does look better than not sanding like that. So would it help to flood the end-grain with sanding sealer?

Rich

Andy Hoyt
04-14-2006, 6:10 PM
I read this on another forum and there were many replies from some talented folks reporting success with it.
Flood the area with liquid (as in not from a spray can) WD40.
Count to ten.
Have at it with a sharp tool and a light cut.Does not affect the subsequesnt finishing process.

I've not yet encountered a situation where I'd need to try this, so you're on your own.

Dennis Peacock
04-14-2006, 6:22 PM
Unfortunately, endgrain tearout requires a LOT of sanding at the coarser grits. I just usually pull up a stool and sand my time away. Eventually, it will be clean, but CA does work and it can help by wetting the wood with mineral spirits and then very lite cuts with a Sharp tool will reduce a lot of it. Try some Shellac, allow to dry for about 5 minutes and then sand again.

Severe tearout requires patience and persistance in getting it out. I've even sanded a bowl for THREE DAYS or about 12 hours before I got all the severe tearout "out" of the bowl, but it was worth the experience. ;) :D

John Hart
04-14-2006, 6:36 PM
THREE DAYS??????:eek: Sheesh! You continue to stoke my admiration for you Dennis.

I need some genetic re-engineering done to turn on my Perseverance Gene. :o

Bernie Weishapl
04-14-2006, 10:13 PM
I did the mineral spirits like Dennis had told me before on some walnut endgrain and it worked. I put it on, then took very light scraping cuts with a bowl gouge and then finished sanding. I also found out if you spritz it with a light mist of water and do the above process it works well also. Thanks Dennis my last walnut bowl and the ash/walnut box turned out super.

Stephen Hibbs
04-15-2006, 11:25 AM
When sanding to get rid of tearout, is it better to keep it on lower or higher speeds? What about in the subsequent higher grits?

Jack Savona
04-15-2006, 3:34 PM
My acquired info has always been: slow is better, especially with the lower grits. More effective and less heat build up, a danger to paper, wood, and fingers. Use good paper and let IT do the work.