PDA

View Full Version : clear coat for lasering

Dave Jones
04-14-2006, 10:34 AM
I know that some laser ready wood, like those from laserbits, come coated with a clear coat. I'm going to be buying thin raw wood sheets from a wood cutter. What are good clear coats to use on wood which will get lasered? What about before vs after lasering?

Joe Pelonio
04-14-2006, 11:38 AM
If you do it before and let it dry well, you won't get as much discoloration around the cuts or engraving. I normally do it before then again after to have some clear on the engraved areas and seal up the edges. I use the Chromatic waterborne clear by One Shot in a touch up gun for large projects, and Krylon Crystal Clear rattle can for small.

Dave Jones
04-14-2006, 12:36 PM
I found 3 types of Krylon Crystal Clear on a web site.

-- Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear - picture of artist brushes on can (large words Crystal Clear), says for protecting art

-- Krylon Crystal Clear Varnish - picture of artists brushes on can (large words Crystal Clear), says for protecting paper, maps, carbon copies

-- Krylon Triple Thick Crystal Clear Glaze - overlapping diamonds on can (large words Clear Glaze), says for plaster, wood, metal, plastic

I'm guessing you're talking about the third one?

What do you consider large vs small? Most of the boards I'm getting will be 6" x 24".

Do you ever coat after etching to seal the engraved or cut parts of the wood?

Joe Pelonio
04-14-2006, 2:16 PM
I found 3 types of Krylon Crystal Clear on a web site.

I'm guessing you're talking about the third one?

What do you consider large vs small? Most of the boards I'm getting will be 6" x 24".

Do you ever coat after etching to seal the engraved or cut parts of the wood?
What I use is none of those. It's Acrylic Crystal Clear 3530, with overlapping colored balls on the can, comes in flat or gloss. I get it at a local store called Fred Meyer, some hardware stores have it but the blue and the orange mega's do not. Don't look at art supplies, they only have those that you found.

And yes, I usually spray again after engraving. When I say big/small I don't mean piece size, I mean job size. It's not worth cleaning the gun for 5-6 small pieces, or one 12x24 sheet of material. If I'm doing lots of them I line them up and spray all at once.

Dave Jones
04-14-2006, 3:06 PM
Excellent. Thanks.