PDA

View Full Version : For you McGivers out there

John Hart
04-14-2006, 8:12 AM
My Nephew-In-Law thought I'd find this interesting. It's the design plan for your own home-made foundry. I know that you can turn softer metals on a wood lathe with wood tools so I thought that it could be a useful little thing for making metal blanks out of soda cans or other scrap for various projects.

http://www.atmsite.org/contrib/Sapp/foundry/foundry.html

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-14-2006, 8:21 AM
Hey, that is worthy of a bookmark for sure.

I could run one of those on the roof of the house, I spec-ed 100V/200V water and natural gas up there (was thinking of an outdoor hot tub), but with the gas and electricity, I could do a nice clean burning foundry :D

Cheers!

Keith Burns
04-14-2006, 8:45 AM
John, I think you have totally lost it:D :D

Ken Fitzgerald
04-14-2006, 8:53 AM
John.........You really should have thought more before posting this!:( You know Stu will probably do something with this and we'll be reading some article in the paper.........or see it on Fox News or CNN.....Headline Tokyo.....Westerner burns down local apartment building casting new turning tools! This is the same guy who has the "wine bottle stoppers while U wait in his liquor store and has been seen screaming around the city on a motorcycle"...........Though no names have been mentioned.....hundreds of SMCers will say..........Yup.....Stu's been at it again!:eek: :D :D :D

Chris Barton
04-14-2006, 9:08 AM
John.........You really should have thought more before posting this!:( You know Stu will probably do something with this and we'll be reading some article in the paper.........or see it on Fox News or CNN.....Headline Tokyo.....Westerner burns down local apartment building casting new turning tools! This is the same guy who has the "wine bottle stoppers while U wait in his liquor store and has been seen screaming around the city on a motorcycle"...........Though no names have been mentioned.....hundreds of SMCers will say..........Yup.....Stu's been at it again!:eek: :D :D :D

My thoughts exactly Ken!

04-14-2006, 9:12 AM
Actually, I used to have a forge at my uncle's place, we made up all sorts of things for our motorcycles :D

It was fun, but it is hot dirty work!

Cheers!

Fred LeBail
04-14-2006, 9:25 AM
John
My Father built one of those and poured a ton of Alumimun and Brass. He built Live Steam Locomotives ( scaled, of course). He poured all of his casting himself.
Quite a thing for a young gaffer like me to see somebody make castings from scrap .

John Hart
04-14-2006, 9:26 AM
Disclaimer:
I, in no way take responsibility for Stu's actions with regard to home-forging techniques as a result of posting said techniques on an open forum. All destruction as a result of implementing such techniques are the responsibility of the user and of the Japanese government. Consumption and/or selling of alcoholic beverages while using home forging techniques is expressly discouraged. Caution: Explosions, fire-storms, earthquakes, and large fictious monsters are known to arise from the use of such devices.

Bernie Weishapl
04-14-2006, 9:27 AM
John, John, John you have been in the lacquer again.:eek: :eek: :D :D

04-14-2006, 9:49 AM
Disclaimer:
I, in no way take responsibility for Stu's actions with regard to home-forging techniques as a result of posting said techniques on an open forum. All destruction as a result of implementing such techniques are the responsibility of the user and of the Japanese government. Consumption and/or selling of alcoholic beverages while using home forging techniques is expressly discouraged. Caution: Explosions, fire-storms, earthquakes, and large fictious monsters are known to arise from the use of such devices.

You're killing me Mr. Hart, just killing me :D:D:D

Lee DeRaud
04-14-2006, 11:40 AM
Actually, I used to have a forge at my uncle's place, we made up all sorts of things for our motorcycles :DSomehow, reading this thread, I envisioned you making up all sorts of things out of your motorcycles.:eek:

04-14-2006, 2:27 PM
Somehow, reading this thread, I envisioned you making up all sorts of things out of your motorcycles.:eek:

naw, but in my youth :rolleyes: we were only interested in the riding part of bikes :D

Jeff Singleton
04-14-2006, 7:51 PM
John, Kindt-Collins in Cleveland sells various types of very small furnaces for aluminum, brass, tin, steel and iron. I buy patternmaking supplies from them. Another place would be HGR, which at one time or another has had about everything ever made up for sale. If you haven't been there your in for an adventure. Neat homemade furnace article by the way. On a lighter note, Barberton Steel & Iron can melt 50,000 lbs. of steel or iron in about 1 1/2 hours. You should see the juice cables sway.

Jeff Singleton:)

John Hart
04-15-2006, 7:59 AM
Thanks Jeff! Hey...it looks like they have a lot more than just foundries. I may have to visit that place!!

Steve Clardy
04-15-2006, 10:09 AM
Neat!!! And another future project to consider making when time allows.:)