PDA

View Full Version : A New House-Update #45 Long-With Pix

Karl Laustrup
04-14-2006, 6:01 AM
Friday April 14th, 2006

Well, today is move in day. Inspector is coming this morning to do the final. After a hectic day yesterday, all systems are a go I think.

The range and hood were delivered Wednesday. Had a guy come in to mount the hood and Dave from Top Hat heating-A/C as well as Norm were there to do the duct work and the electrical for the range and hood. There is a stainless back splash that goes between the range and hood, but for some reason it hasn't come in yet.
Wolf range with 4 burners and grill and griddle. Hood is a 1200 CFM unit with the fan mounted on the roof. The only sound you hear at the range is the air being sucked out. It sure looks nice on that cork floor.

The siding is finally done, so it really looks like a house now.
36474 36475

The deck boards and rails were delivered yesterday, so having a deck is only a day or so away.

Hired a cleaning girl to clean up and she did a wonderful job.
Master bedroom toward the closet. This is where the recumbent bike and treadmill will be stationed.

This is where I'll be tonight. Might even sleep here.

Movers are coming to do the big stuff at 10 AM. They'll do the beds, refrigerators and freezer and other big stuff. The nice thing is LOML has next week off so we have time to move the rest of the stuff from the rental and the container at a somewhat slower pace. Also, our son Matt is down and has been a fantastic help over the last few days.

After today, I'm going to be down for a couple of days while the cable, as well as the 'puter gets set up in the new house. Hope to be back online by Saturday night or Sunday morning with some moving pictures as well as thoughts on what the first night in our new home was like.

Thanks for looking.

Karl

Ray Bersch
04-14-2006, 6:48 AM
Well, congats to you and yours, Karl. May you occupy in health and happiness. You sure did a bang up job. Can't wait to see all the tools in place!
Ray

Keith Starosta
04-14-2006, 8:21 AM
Very cool, Karl!! It's very redundant to say this, at this point in the saga, but I can't believe how quickly this got done. You and your family are very fortunate to have worked with a crew like this.

May health and happiness fill your home always!!

- Keith

John Miliunas
04-14-2006, 8:26 AM
Good grief, Karl! That new shop 'o yours certainly does look an awful lot like a regular house!!!! :confused: :confused: :confused: You trying to get around some zoning thing or something in your neighborhood??? Well, at least I know you must be pretty proud of the place, seeing as to how you'd even be willing to sleep in your shop, even before your equipment is moved in there! Hey, you never mentioned if your HVAC guy is also going to do the DC ducting for the cyclone. :confused: Now that I think about it, I believe your GC failed to punch through holes for the DC ports, as I didn't see any in all the pics you posted. Wow...I hope that doesn't push the project back too far!!!:eek: :D :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
04-14-2006, 8:34 AM
Congrats Karl! BTW.....I consider the moving the hard part.....the part I'd hate most! SWMBO in my house would want things moved a half a dozen times until she finally decided where each piece of furniture belongs! Congrats Karl! Enjoy!

Tyler Howell
04-14-2006, 9:03 AM
Wow Karl,
Looks like you will have a shower by the 4/21 Creeker party time. Thank goodness for that.:p
Looking great my friend. Many years of great family times ahead:cool: .

Frank Pellow
04-14-2006, 9:22 AM
That's great Karl. I have really enjoyed seing all the steps that you have posted. You have a great house to enjoy and it was built in far less time than I woulde have predicted.

Jim Becker
04-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Wow, Karl...record time!! The new house looks beautiful and I'm sure you and the family will enjoy it "a lot"! Good choice on the range. I went with six burners and a grill, but sometimes actually wish for the griddle now that we have kids. (Wasn't a thought at the time... ;) ) But then again, sometimes I do use more than four burners...

Don Baer
04-14-2006, 11:03 AM
Congrats on the New home Karl. Like others have said it was done in an amazingly short time.

Jerry Olexa
04-14-2006, 12:30 PM
Karl: Congrats and happy for you!!! Moving in day is exciting...Like your range. I love to cook and that would be a fun unit to cook with. Looks very good. All your planning effort paid off. You are blessed!!!! Thanks for post...

Bruce Page
04-14-2006, 2:15 PM
Congratulations Karl! The house looks wonderfull, I have really enjoyed your update series.

It is time to kick back and enjoy that Jacuzzi!

Norman Hitt
04-14-2006, 4:31 PM
Karl, I think that phrase I Larned at that "John" Carnagie;) course is Most Appropriate here, ........"ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC" !!!

Your "Play by Play" postings of the Process has been Great, and the one post I always looked for First every day. I wish you Much Enjoyment in your New "Digs". (I sure don't envy you with your Moving Job though).:D

I'll be real interested to hear how well that cork floor holds up, and how much care and maintenance it requires. It sure seems like it would be very nice and comfortable in a kitchen, if it holds up well. It's about time to replace our kitchen floor, (really past due) that has been there for about 25 years. I really can't believe it has lasted that long, which is a first for us.

Vaughn McMillan
04-14-2006, 5:21 PM
Congrats, Karl. It's been great following the progress (fast as it was). Thanks for taking us along for the ride. From the looks of things, you ended up with a very nice place.

- Vaughn

Von Bickley
04-15-2006, 5:14 PM
Karl,
Have really enjoyed being with you on this project. Your pictures made us all feel like we were with you all the way... Thanks for sharing.:) :p :)

Karl Laustrup
04-16-2006, 1:00 PM
Easter Sunday February 16th, 2006

Well, we made it in and slept in our new house Friday night. The movers got all the heavy, while we moved what we would really need until we can finish moving the stuff from the rental house.

Got the cable hooked up yesterday [Saturday] so I'm back online. All went smooth with the move. Both sons were down to help as well as a nephew. We were really tired and bed sounded really good. Didn't sleep all that well though. Heard every noise, creek, groan etc. that the house had to offer. Slept much better last night.

We still have a lot to do to get the rest of the stuff out of the rental and get it cleaned up. We also have to unload the big blue container of our other stuff. And man do we have to put a lot of stuff away. We just started putting stuff in cabinets in the kitchen so we could empty boxes. Lots of rearranging to do later.

Used the grill part of the range this morning to make some Germany pancakes for everyone [all the grandkids are here for Easter]. Can't wait to to try out the grill and ovens. I want to start making our own bread.

There are a few small problems, but we're making a list to give to the GC. They're going to be here for a while anyway. Still have to finish the deck and some work in the basement.

All in all we love it. Even amidst all the mess of unpacked boxes. It is so nice to have all this room.

Thanks to all for your encouragement and well wishes. Glad you enjoyed the posts and thanks for sharing our experience and joy of a new home.

I'm going to count the days since we started this project. I know the old house came down January 12th and we're in the new house April 14th, but I want to know the actual work days.

Karl, Carole, Mom [Alice] & Tama

Ken Fitzgerald
04-16-2006, 1:05 PM
Karl........Be sure to take some photos and post after you've moved in and gotten settled. I'd really like to see what it looks like after the furniture is in place. I find it interesting to see what a space looks like empty verus occupied!.......I sometimes have difficulty seeing the occupied vision in my mind! Again.........Congrats.....Enjoy the new home! We've enjoyed viewing the process!

John Miliunas
04-16-2006, 3:22 PM
:eek: Egads!!!! :eek: Karl, you mean to tell me that all this time you had me believing you were building an over-the-top WW shop and it was a house all the while???? :confused: :eek: Man, you sure had me fooled! I guess that explains why I didn't see any DC hookups anywhere. OTOH, it's kind of good news, because I just couldn't see how you'd get anything done in the shop with that world class kitchen and hot tub in a shop!!! :rolleyes:

Seriously, buddy, I'm super-happy for you! :) Can't wait for Friday to get a 1st hand look at your new home! In the meantime, take it easy and leave yourself some time to enjoy the place. :) :cool:

Jim Becker
04-16-2006, 7:36 PM
Congrats, Karl! And you'll like grill, especially in the winter. Do let it warm up for "a while" before trying to cook...you really want it hot and be sure to crank up the hood when grilling. (The reason you needed a 1200-1400 CFM hood to begin with!)