PDA

View Full Version : Help with old post please

Chuck Beland
04-14-2006, 5:16 AM
I'm buying a Jet mini this weekend, & I remember seeing a post I think it was either the tailstock or the headstock where a center would jam from turning. & someone bought some type of plastic washer from Jet to cure the problem. I don't want that to happen to me. Does anyone remember this post? Could you tell me what type of washer it is so I can order one too. Thanks for the help. I don't have anything to go with the lathe yet so that means i need to BUY MORE TOOLS. LOL

Chuck

Joe Tonich
04-14-2006, 6:52 AM
Chuck,

Is this what your talking about?

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13236&highlight=plastic+washer

I have a JET mini and don't remember seeing a plastic washer on the head or tailstock. Then again, I haven't had to take it apart yet either, which is a GOOD thing. :D

Have fun with your mini....:D :D

Bernie Weishapl
04-14-2006, 9:25 AM
Chuck I don't remember any washers for centers but Packard Woodworks has them for your headstock when using a chuck or faceplate to make it easier to get off. That is the only thing I know of that they are used for.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-14-2006, 10:57 AM
Chuck......Good luck with your Jet Mini! I have the Jet Mini VS and have been quite happy with it! It does everything this beginner can handle!

And it's "white" and keeps Andy off my backside!:D

Lee DeRaud
04-14-2006, 11:46 AM
I've just been using a washer cut out of photo matte board, seems to do the job quite nicely: chucks and faceplates are easy to remove now.

No big deal to cut with a utility knife but anybody who wants one laser-cut for that spindle size, PM me your snail-mail address.

Ron Ainge
04-14-2006, 12:23 PM
I have a Jet Mini VS and have never had a problem with the chuck sticking on the head stock, However I have a friend that says he prevents it from happening by using a plastic washer between the head stock and the chuck. He makes the washer out of those free (nonuseable) credit cards that he gets in the mail. He says they are cheap to make and if he ruins one he can quickly make another.

Chuck Beland
04-14-2006, 5:05 PM
I believe that's exactly what i was referring to guy's thanks a lot. I'm a little confused why would the faceplate not unscrew from the headstock? is it from the torque from turning that over tightens it?

Ken Fitzgerald
04-14-2006, 5:25 PM
Chuck.........Torque and friction....metal to metal binding......Mine can be a little cantankerous sometimes but nothing I haven't been able to handle.