PDA

View Full Version : "saving" Punky Wood Bowl Blank

Ernie Kuhn
04-14-2006, 2:15 AM
Help,
Have a cherry bowl blank, very "punky" in places that I'm trying to save. Minwax Wood Hardner? Upside is that it appears to work well, downside is when sanding, gums up sand paper. Any thougts? Other products?
Thanks in advance.
Ernie

John Hart
04-14-2006, 7:42 AM
Here's a good thread Ernie. Curtis O Seebeck is flirtin' with several methods. I like the Epoxy Manhatten. Used it several times and it works well. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=31313

John Shuk
04-14-2006, 10:28 AM
I'd have to give wood hardener my endorsement. I've always been happy.

Ron Ainge
04-14-2006, 12:57 PM
I use thin CA becasue it cures fast and it will not fill the sand paper. It may cause a small color change that will darken the wood much like when you add the finish to your project. If this does not sand or turn out you can always cover the entire turning lightly with it before you finish it. I know that CA is a bit costly but I buy it in 16 oz. Bottles for about what you pay for two of the small bottles for so I use it a lot.

Bernie Weishapl
04-14-2006, 10:16 PM
I use John epoxy manhattan and it works great.

Ernie Kuhn
04-15-2006, 2:10 AM
Thank you all,
I will have to give the Epoxy Manhatten a go. Will post pics if I can get it to work for me.
You guys are great. I always know I will get help when asking. Hope to be in a position one of these days to offer some.
Ernie

Ernie Nyvall
04-15-2006, 9:56 AM
Ernie, how long are you giving the Minwax to dry? I know what you mean about it gumming up the paper so I started leaving it 3 days before sanding. It has worked fine for me when it is completely dry.

Ernie

Ernie Kuhn
04-15-2006, 4:17 PM
Ernie,
You are probably correct. I did wait about 3 days, had the piece outside in the sun and breeze to speed up curing but the suface was not "rock hard" when I put it back on the lathe to sand. I probably should have given it another couple of days and, I may have had the lathe speed up to high, creating heat which might have softened it. I'll give it another day or two and try again.
Keeping my fingers crossed in eastern Washington.
The "other" Ernie

Dennis Peacock
04-15-2006, 4:34 PM
Another thing you can do comes from my past days of flying radio controlled airplane and constructing them. Mix up some 90 minute or 60 minute epoxy (from your local BB store) and thin it down with some DNA to just thinner than pancake syrup. You want the mixture to drip easily but still have some "body" to it. Apply this with an acid brush on the wood and let it soak in. Allow this to dry for about 2 hours and try your punky areas again after the expoxy has dried. This will work just fine in those punky areas without breaking the bank.

Poor folks have to be "creative" ya know. ;) :D

Ernie Kuhn
04-15-2006, 5:44 PM
Thanks Dennis,
That's one I hadn't heard of before. I will certainly give it a shot as not "breaking the bank" is definitely a consideration.
Will let y'all know in a couple days or so. I'll post a pic or two of the bowl blank I'm trying to save before the pic police get after me too.
Ernie

Ernie Kuhn
04-16-2006, 9:55 PM
Before the pic police get after me, here are a couple of pics of the cherry bowl blank I am trying to save. At this point, I'm obsessed with saving it. Must have been breathing wood hardner, epoxy w/DNA and CA for too long, ought to be firewood. Thanks for looking. Will post pics when finished (maybe only remnants).
Ernie

John Hart
04-17-2006, 7:41 AM
Definitely worth saving Ernie. Watch that crack going from the skull damage to the lip though. And don't forget your faceshield!:eek: If it works out...it oughta be gorgeous!:)

Ernie Kuhn
04-17-2006, 12:03 PM
John,
Yes to the crack. I've already wicked in a couple of thin CA treatments and a couple of medium CA treatments. I will consciously stay out of the line of fire on this one. I'm even toying with the idea to chuck it up, mount it to the drill press table and use the biggest forstner bit I have to slowly drill out the middle and then walk it around the rim, leaving about a 1/2" thickness. Put it back on the lathe, SLOW, and power sand with a sanding drum in a hand drill, the inside round. Not puting a bowl gouge to it at all. I'm sure the purists will shudder but, I'm a firm believer in whatever it takes and, I really want to save this one. Will keep y'all posted.
Thank you, Ernie