PDA

View Full Version : newbie question about gouges

Mike Priest
04-13-2006, 10:39 PM
Just got my lathe a couple of days ago, and picked up a cheap set of Harbor Freight tools (the 10$ set instead of the 30$ HSS set, I grabbed the wrong ones). So now I cant figure out what kind of gouges I have.
I hear discussions of Bowl Gouges, Spindle Gouges, Roughing Gouges, etc...
I dont really know what I have. The package just says gouges (3/4, 1/2, 1/4)

Anyone able to shed any light?

Lee DeRaud
04-13-2006, 10:44 PM
Just a guess: roughing, spindle, and detail, in descending-size order. Or maybe two sizes of spindle gouge, I dunno, but the big one is definitely a roughing gouge.

(I've got the $30 set: when the shrink-wrap came off, it had two roughing gouges, no spindle gouge. Not worth driving back at that price...)

Ken Fitzgerald
04-13-2006, 10:48 PM
Mike....gouges are generally broken into 2 categories....spindle gouges and bowl gouges. Spindle gouges, including roughing gouges, are also called shallow fluted gouges and are made for spindle work when the grain of the wood being turned runs parallel to the bed of the lathe....between centers. Bowl gouges, deep fluted gouges are designed generally for face plate work.....in other words....making bowls where the grain of the blank being turned runs perpendicular to the bed of the lathe.

Roughing gouges are spindle gouges meant to rough square spindles into cylinders or taking off large amounts of wood....IN THE SPINDLE MODE.
Roughing gouges are NOT made for roughing out bowls or faceplate work.

Generally speaking bowl gouges have a larger diameter steel shaft and a deeper flute.

Hopefully one of our members has the set of tools you have and can reply with more specificity.

Good luck!

Corey Hallagan
04-13-2006, 10:58 PM
I would agree with Lee with regards to the contents. These are carbon steel I would imagine with you can actually make sharper than HSS but the edge doesn't last as long. I don't know what you have for a sharpening set up but you will need to sharpen them much more frequently and you will need to be careful not to get them to hot or they will be ruined. Mr. Fitz has a good description of the differences. I expect you got a parting tool and a skew with the set as well.

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
04-13-2006, 11:06 PM
I agree with Corey that you probably got the carbon steel ones. My brother got a set like that and after take a couple of cuts, then to the grinder, then a couple more cuts and back to the grinder, he drove back to HF and got the HSS ones. Can you exchange them? If not I would still get the HSS set.

Mike Priest
04-13-2006, 11:07 PM
From the videos I have been watching it appears that bowl gouges are much heavier stock, with deeper flutes. They almost look like bar stock with a v notch cut in them. Since all 3 of mine appear fairly shallow, more like flat stock rolled into a curve I will assume they are roughing / spindle gouges.

No sharpening setup yet, planning to order the woodcraft slow speed grinder that is on sale, and probably e-b?? (auction site) for the wolverine/varigrind jigs. looks like im done turning until all the sharpening stuff arrives, but I should get some great practice sharpening with the cheap tools :) then when I upgrade to decent tools they should last a while.

Mike Priest
04-13-2006, 11:10 PM
I dont live near Harbor Freight so its not worth the effort to return them. I ordered the HSS set online from them so it should be here in a week or so. The place was so disorganized I didnt even realize they had more than one type of lathe tool. (maybe it was that kid in the candy store look in my eyes that blinded me)

Corey Hallagan
04-13-2006, 11:20 PM
I would agree Mike, not worth it for 10.00 They will make good practice for sharpening and hey, you mike like them anyway. I would go ahead and do some practice anyway what the heck. Goood luck! The Wolverine is a good set up.

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
04-13-2006, 11:23 PM
Mike......I believe your assumption is probably correct .....however....check out this URL to Henry Taylor...maker of turning tools......they show "end shots" of both types of gouges and will probably answer your questions.....http://www.henrytaylortools.co.uk/chisels.html#gouges

Good Luck!.........By the way....I have the Woodcraft slowspeed grinder and the Wolverine and vari-grind attachments.....they work very well for me.

John Hart
04-14-2006, 8:03 AM
I think it's great that you have a cheap set of tools to learn how to sharpen. It's a necessary skill that takes time so why not fumble around with the cheap stuff. Congratulations on the lathe! Where's the Pics???:confused:

Mike Priest
04-14-2006, 9:55 AM
That henry taylor link was very helpful. I looked around but couldnt find anything similar on my own.

The pics place my HF tools into the roughing and spindle category, just like everyone was saying. But most importantly I now know the difference!

Thanks again to the creek for the info.

Jim Becker
04-14-2006, 9:56 AM
I think it's great that you have a cheap set of tools to learn how to sharpen. It's a necessary skill that takes time so why not fumble around with the cheap stuff.

I agree as long as the inexpensive tools are also HHS. But carbon steel tools are very frustrating to learn sharpening with because you can ruin them entirely in about three seconds with excess heat...beginners tend to hold the steel to the wheel "a lot" and once you damage the temper of the carbon steel, you're hosed. Carbon steel also requires quenching to control heat...something you don't need to do with HHS.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-14-2006, 10:02 AM
BTW Mike.........I was through Mahomet a couple of weeks ago. I went to high school in a little town south of Effingham and my wife comes from a little farming town north of Gibson City. While on a trip to Indiana, I drove on I-74, got off at the Mahomet exit and ran 47 north...........I drove over to visit with my MIL.

Use the cheap tools to improve your sharpening skills! Enjoy turning! I just started a few weeks ago and have found a new passion. I also found a new way to stay broke!........Welcome to the Abyss!

Stephen Hibbs
04-14-2006, 10:53 AM
I have the set you have, and for the same reason. That store is so hectic I had no idea there was more than one set. I mostly use the parting tool (the one with a pointed tip) for the majority of bowl hollowing since it takes fairly light cuts but doesnt bind the wood. The set isn't bad, but sharpening is a pain because it has a tendency to grind away unevenly if you're not careful. Just use it for practice until the other set arrives. I still use my set and it's working out fine for me.