PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite place to buy woodworking stuff from online.

Mark Rios
04-13-2006, 8:25 PM
I was wondering where everybody likes to make their online purchases to buy their woodworking tools, hardware and such. I only know of a few places and I thought it might benefit at least some of us (newbies and amateurs like me) to know where the good selections are, where the low prices are and that sort of thing. I thought this would be a good weekend question.

I always try Amazon first and then look to other online retailers depending on what my particular purchase is going to be. I was recently directed to Woodworkers hardware, thanks to Steve Clardy, for some hinges and drawer slides. They seem to have a whole mess of hardware and the prices were great.

Anyone else?

Chris Barton
04-13-2006, 8:31 PM
For non electric powered hand tools Lee Valley is my favorite. They have good high quality products at a fair price and their service is excellent. My power tools have come from all over but, for Powermatic stuff it is hard to beat Osolnik out of KY. Rude Osolnik designed the original PM3520 lathe and his son has taken over the business since his death. Again, great products and service at a very fair price. For mail order lumber Steve Wall lumber out of Mayodan, NC is hard to beat. I know Steve and he is a great guy that believes in providing a quality lumber source at a reasonable price.

Tim Morton
04-13-2006, 8:40 PM
I have had good luck with Redmond and sons...

Gary Keedwell
04-13-2006, 8:40 PM
Lee Valley is definetly my favorite place to buy every day woodworking stuff, but it sure is fun to thumb thru Garrett Wade.

Matt Meiser
04-13-2006, 8:52 PM
I buy the most stuff from Hartville any more. I like Highland too. Rockler gets some business, mostly for hardware but some other things here and there. Most of that is in the store. I think I've ordered from Woodcraft once and I pretty much stopped buying at the local store due to their attitude.

Chris Barton
04-13-2006, 8:53 PM
Lee Valley is definetly my favorite place to buy every day woodworking stuff, but it sure is fun to thumb thru Garrett Wade.

Lee Valley was started by a former Garrett Wade employee...

Dave Falkenstein
04-13-2006, 8:53 PM
I shop Amazon because they have such a wide variety of power tools. For specialty items I go to Lee Valley or Rockler. I have also had good results with Coastal Tool and Tools-Plus when Amazon was out of stock or did not have the item I wanted. Froogle is a great tool for comparing pricing.

John Kain
04-13-2006, 9:05 PM
Lee Valley, Amazon, Klingspor .............. mostly.

Amazon for power tools
Klingspor for finishing stuff
Lee Valley for most everything else

Jim Becker
04-13-2006, 9:11 PM
Lee Valley remains my favorite online source for woodworking "stuff"...

Mark Pruitt
04-13-2006, 9:29 PM
Woodworkers' Supply (woodworker.com)

Doug Shepard
04-13-2006, 9:36 PM
I usually start shopping for bigger ticket stuff on Google to see where it leads me. Often times that ends up being Amazon. Other places I've bought from more than once include Lee Valley, Klingspor, Grizzly (no machinery of theirs (yet) but they often have the best prices on some types of supplies). I'm sure I'm forgetting somebody.

Jim W. White
04-13-2006, 9:56 PM
Woodworkers Supply !!!! (free shipping for orders placed through Toolseeker)

followed by Lee Valley

no affiliation to any of the above mentioned sites ...blah ..blah ...blah:D

Steve Clardy
04-13-2006, 10:01 PM
Hmmm. Not much on what you have listed, though I have bought from all of them.

My favorites
HDL Hardware [the commercial site, sister store to woodworkers hardware]
Baer Supply
Woodworker Supply of new mexico

Those are my main ones, then

Lee Valley
Hartville Tool
Amazon--very seldom
Rockler---very seldom

Course then theres Ebay for those extra goodies. Used planes, etc.
Ya I know, that one doesn't count. Lol

Vaughn McMillan
04-13-2006, 10:45 PM
I usually start shopping at Amazon (or Google), but try to check other sources for better prices. In the end, I've bought from quite a few vendors. So far the only major piece of machinery I've bought via mail-order was my Grizzly jointer. All the other tools have been researched a lot on the web, though. For other WW stuff...

Amazon - price is usually hard to beat, but they don't always have what I want
Lee Valley - love their service, and the fact that they e-mail you shipping updates
ToolKing - usually good prices on refurbed power hand tools
Rockler - pretty much only buy locally from them, because they're handy

Quite a few others that I've been happy with, but these are the ones I've dealt with the most over the past year of my WW affliction.

- Vaughn

scott spencer
04-13-2006, 10:50 PM
I order alot through Amazon b/c of the deals and selection, Hartville Tool is one of my favorites...15% Woodnet discount too.

John Bailey
04-13-2006, 11:09 PM
Lee Valley is my favourite. I like their quality and fair price. I've bought a lot of small things from Grizzly, no machines yet.

John

John Strait
04-13-2006, 11:36 PM
Hartville Tool and then Lee Valley. I can usually find what I want at one or the other. Shipping is fast and prices are reasonable.

Michael Gibbons
04-14-2006, 12:19 AM
I have had good luck with Lee valley, Amazon/Tool Crib, Lie-Neilsen and Tools-for-Working Wood. I like Lee valley 'cause you can find those odd tools or do-hickeys that no one else carrys. It's easier to order directly from Lie-Neilsen cause you can tell them what you want like different handles, corrugated bottoms, or extra blades.

Jeff Geltz
04-14-2006, 7:29 AM
For run of the mill stuff, Hartville Tool is my number one hands down. Plus with the 15% Woodnet discount any old day of the week you can't go wrong. Lee Valley is innovative, but I like keeping my money in the USA. For hand planes and such I much prefer Lie-Nielson.

Reg Mitchell
04-14-2006, 7:30 AM
I get most of my tool through woodweb
there are a few I get through e-bay
i like to ask in sites like the creek to see if someone has somthing I want or need befor I start looking at the retail shops but have got things from amazon...mosty books. Lee Vally for high quality things I don't find anywhere else.

Byron Trantham
04-14-2006, 8:17 AM
Amazon for power tools. Rockler and Lee Valley for most other stuff. I recently bought 3X sand paper from Jamestown Distributors because they had the best price - hands down. I use D Lawless for full extension rollers - great prices. If you buy $50 or more, the shipping is free!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-14-2006, 8:32 AM
Lee Valley, I'll kill time in the L shop by just going through their homepage.

When the new catalog arrives my lovely wife winces, as she knows I'll be nose deep in it and doing damage to the family budget :D

Add to all of that Rob Lee is one fine guy.

Next would be Rockler, they have treated me right, and I've had no complaints, plus the ship out of the US without blinking an eye.

Cheers!

PS great idea for a thread! :D

Frank Pellow
04-14-2006, 8:51 AM
Lee Valley is my favourite place to buy anything online. :) added later: well, anything but Fesdtool stuff -sse below.
It is also my favourite place to buy anything in person. There is a store about a 15 minute drive from my house. :)

Most of my larger/electrical tools are purchased locally, mostly from either Welbeck Sawmill or Markham Industrial.

added later: How negligent of me to not mention Bob Marino for my Festool tools. :o Bob's service is as good as Lee Valley's -and that is very high praise. :) :) :)

Chris Barton
04-14-2006, 9:06 AM
Lee Valley is my favourite place to buy anything online. :)

It is also my favourite place to buy anything in person. There is a store about a 15 minute drive from my house. :)

I am jealous but, it's a very good thing they aren't that close to me. I would be broke all the time...;)

Frank Pellow
04-14-2006, 9:07 AM
I am jealous but, it's a very good thing they aren't that close to me. I would be broke all the time...;)
I certainly am.

Art Mulder
04-14-2006, 9:44 AM

Err, can you provide something to support this claim? Lee Valley was started in 1978 in Ottawa Ontario. I have no idea how old Garrett Wade is (couldn't find a history link) but it is based in the NE states. Seems unlikely to me.

Oh, and thanks to border hassles, I very rarely do any online ordering. (Since the majority of vendors are US based). I've ordered from amazon (shipped to a friend) a few times, but the fact that I've got a LVT store a mere 15-20 minutes away on the other side of town means I don't need to mail order that much.

...art

Lou Morrissette
04-14-2006, 9:47 AM
Hartville Tool

04-14-2006, 9:57 AM
Err, can you provide something to support this claim? Lee Valley was started in 1978 in Ottawa Ontario. I have no idea how old Garrett Wade is (couldn't find a history link) but it is based in the NE states. Seems unlikely to me.

Oh, and thanks to border hassles, I very rarely do any online ordering. (Since the majority of vendors are US based). I've ordered from amazon (shipped to a friend) a few times, but the fact that I've got a LVT store a mere 15-20 minutes away on the other side of town means I don't need to mail order that much.

...art

Don't know how you guys live that close to a LV store and keep any money in you bank account :D

Cheers!

Jesse Cloud
04-14-2006, 11:07 AM
I have never been disappointed in LV. I have called a couple of times with questions and they really seem to want to make things work. Shipping is reliable and if they say its in stock, then by-golly it is. Amazon has good prices, but lately it seems like availability and shipping are a cr**-shoot. If I really need something, I count on LV. Its got to the point where I check LV first and if they have it, I'm done. Just don't need the hassle of trying to second guess whether Amazon means what they say. And woe be unto you if you need to talk to someone at Amazon.

Thank God the nearest LV store is a thousand miles away or I would stay broke.

For walk-in, I live near the woodworker's supply in NM - great folks, great prices, but they don't carry the real high end stuff. Wish they had Festool.

Tyler Howell
04-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Most Fun..... Tools For Wood Working.
Most Money...... Amazon/Tool Crib.
Highest quality tailed wonders..... Uncle Bob's Festool Store.
Best customer service..... LV.

Bruce Page
04-14-2006, 12:11 PM
Woodworkers Supply has gotten most of my shop money over the years. Woodcraft opened a store here a few years ago and they empty my wallet every now & then. I buy some of the smaller items & shop supplies on line but I almost always purchase larger items locally.

Lee DeRaud
04-14-2006, 12:29 PM
I use Rockler's website a lot to look up prices and stuff, but the local store is only about 10 minutes away so I usually just go there to buy stuff. Ditto for Woodcraft, although it's a lot longer drive. Most of the stuff I've actually bought online came from Amazon...come to think of it, it's the only one I've made multiple orders from.

Ed Blough
04-14-2006, 1:15 PM
I never buy online and rarely through catalogs, perhaps I'm missing something. I use catalogs to inform myself about what is avaible but try to support local dealers.

I understand the convience aspect of buying online or by mail but what else am I missing. If everybody bought online or by mail what would happen to local dealers, hands on support, advice and tips and tricks?

I have a local dealer that at first seems to be expensive but I have learned as he gets to know you things change. Manufactures often give him huge discounts and he in turn passed these on to his loyal customers. I bought a 14.4 6 piece Makita combo with 3 batteries from him for $299 that he only offered to his regulars. I think retail on the combo was $599 with 2 batteries and he threw in a third to sweeten the deal.

Help me understand why I should consider using mail or the internet.
Thanks

Frank Pellow
04-14-2006, 1:35 PM
I never buy online and rarely through catalogs, perhaps I'm missing something. I use catalogs to inform myself about what is avaible but try to support local dealers.

I understand the convience aspect of buying online or by mail but what else am I missing. If everybody bought online or by mail what would happen to local dealers, hands on support, advice and tips and tricks?

I have a local dealer that at first seems to be expensive but I have learned as he gets to know you things change. Manufactures often give him huge discounts and he in turn passed these on to his loyal customers. I bought a 14.4 6 piece Makita combo with 3 batteries from him for $299 that he only offered to his regulars. I think retail on the combo was $599 with 2 batteries and he threw in a third to sweeten the deal.

Help me understand why I should consider using mail or the internet.
Thanks
Ed, the best reason for you would be to obtain Lee Valley products and service. Since Lee Valley does not have stores in the USA, this is the best way for you to aquire those products and to experience that service.

tim rowledge
04-14-2006, 2:12 PM
I'm always interested in hearing of good tool places in Canada, so Frank's mention of Welbeck caught my eye - I actually got my Oneida DC stuff from them even though I live on Vancouver Island which is almost a brazillion miles from there.

I've been a customer (read 'groupie') of LV for along time and could probably have bought a new car with the money I've sent their way.

Frank, any other Canadian residents, what other good suppliers are there 'locally'? I find far too many US suppliers simply won't ship northwards. Not to mention some that ask which state Canada is in... especially when it comes to website ordering pages. It's not that I object to sending my money southwards - after all my income comes from LA - but too many peole make it difficult.

I'm particularly interested in a Festool supplier, nut&bolt&screw place, router & shaper bits, stuff like that.

tim rowledge
04-14-2006, 2:16 PM
Ed, if you have a helpful, co-operative, affordable local dealer then use him (or her), nuture them and treasure them. On mid-Vancouver Island there's a choice between Big Red (limited, low-market range) or Midland Tool (expensive but better range of power tools but very low-market other stuff) and that's about it. Internet is the only viable solution when you live on a Pacific Island. The bugger of it is that Amazon.ca doesn't do tools and Amaxon.com won't ship up here.

04-14-2006, 2:33 PM
Tim, you should try living in Japan :D

Tyler Howell
04-14-2006, 2:37 PM
Welcome to the creek Tim, Sailed to and around your home out there in BC:D. Beautiful place.

I'm always interested in hearing of good tool places in Canada, so Frank's mention of Welbeck caught my eye - I actually got my Oneida DC stuff from them even though I live on Vancouver Island which is almost a brazillion miles from there.

I've been a customer (read 'groupie') of LV for along time and could probably have bought a new car with the money I've sent their way.

Frank, any other Canadian residents, what other good suppliers are there 'locally'? I find far too many US suppliers simply won't ship northwards. Not to mention some that ask which state Canada is in... especially when it comes to website ordering pages. It's not that I object to sending my money southwards - after all my income comes from LA - but too many peole make it difficult.

I'm particularly interested in a Festool supplier, nut&bolt&screw place, router & shaper bits, stuff like that.

David Bell
04-14-2006, 2:49 PM
I think Uncle Bob is the best to buy tools from online. He provides great customer service and also sells the coolest tools! My recent purchase from Bob went great. I am looking forward to my next purchase.:D

Curt Harms
04-14-2006, 7:48 PM
:o I was thinking the same thing

Curt

Chris Barton
04-14-2006, 8:49 PM

...art

According to an article published last year in one of my woodworknig magazines that was comparing Veritas and LN planes that's the story. And, I am old enough to rember ordering tools from Garrett Wade in the early 70's...

Michael Pfau
04-14-2006, 8:51 PM
Lee Valley has my vote for woodworking stuff. I have bought alot from Woodcraft. They just opened a new store in Spokane Washington. About 3 hours from here, so I can get my order the next day! As for all the power tools I own, we have a great Delta Machinery store here in town, the owner and I are personal friends, and he as set me up over the last several years, if I have a question, a problem anything..they help me out. There is something to say about service, locally, instead of buying power tools on line,,and something fails.

Silas Smith
04-15-2006, 11:31 AM
Check out this site. http://home.alliancecable.net/~woodworker/woodworkers_resources.html

Rick LoDico
04-15-2006, 12:31 PM
Lee Valley, Amazon, Tools Plus and Coastal Tool. These last two if I want good prices and fast delivery.

Frank Fusco
04-15-2006, 6:08 PM
Grizzly. Best dollar value around. Good service. Lotsa stuff in the store to spend yer money on.

JayStPeter
04-15-2006, 6:45 PM

I could be wrong, but I think that's Lie-Nielsen.

Of the list, my favorite is Lee Valley. It's my favorite WWing retailer overall.

I've bought from all the places on the list and been satisfied with them all as well as Hartville and Garrett Wade.
I would guess that internet shopping wise I've bought more from Amazon than any other (been buying geek books from them since they started). Woodworking wise, I've bought more things from Lee Valley, but probably spent the most money at either Amazon, Bob Marino's Festool store or Grizzly. If you count gifts, Lee Valley is right up there as my Christmas list is usually 80% LV catalog numbers :)

Jay

Chris Barton
04-15-2006, 7:45 PM
I could be wrong, but I think that's Lie-Nielsen.

Of the list, my favorite is Lee Valley. It's my favorite WWing retailer overall.

I've bought from all the places on the list and been satisfied with them all as well as Hartville and Garrett Wade.
I would guess that internet shopping wise I've bought more from Amazon than any other (been buying geek books from them since they started). Woodworking wise, I've bought more things from Lee Valley, but probably spent the most money at either Amazon, Bob Marino's Festool store or Grizzly. If you count gifts, Lee Valley is right up there as my Christmas list is usually 80% LV catalog numbers :)

Jay

OK Jay,

You'er going to make me go find that magizine in amongst the thousands in my office. But, I have never been above admitting a mistake!

Art Mulder
04-15-2006, 9:59 PM
Don't know how you guys live that close to a LV store and keep any money in you bank account :D

Cheers!

Hey, the presence of a LVT store in town was one of the clinchers that helped me decide to take my present job!!! :D As for money in the bank, thats easy. I don't have enough time in the day to fully use the tools that I already own, so why buy more! :(

Art Mulder
04-15-2006, 10:14 PM

Tim,
To be fair, the main problem with ordering across the border is primarily the "fault" of the government, not the vendors. To get stuff across the border, the shipping company chargers brokerage fees (and collects the tax, and duty if applicable). UPS, in my experience, is outrageously expensive w.r.t. charging brokerage fees. In contrast, it seems that UPS shipping within the US is dirt cheap. This leads to the problem that many vendors in the US only ship with UPS...

But to answer your questions... I did some googling a while ago and found that there is a Canadian Festool distributor, but they didn't seem to be that actively pushing the stuff. I couldn't see a decent online catalog or price list anywhere, and they did NOT come to the big Toronto woodworking show. Odd. Seems like a business opportunity there.

For router bits, stick with Lee Valley. I've seen a lot of discussion, though I forget if it was here or on one of the Canadian forums, about router bits. LVT scores consistently near the top of users opinions with cost + value + quality.

For nuts/bolts/screws... well I just hit the local Rona or Home Depot, sometimes Canadian Tire, though their selection is usually poorer.

Stockade Supply is one place that is also fairly well liked, mostly for scrolling related stuff, but other supplies also. (I'm not a customer, that's based on what I've read on forums.)

For big iron, I'm blessed to have Federated Tool here in London, and they treat people right. They're not really set up for online ordering, but I have heard of people who've called them to mail order stuff.

Sam Chambers
04-15-2006, 10:28 PM
I have several good local sources that I like to support when possible:

Highland Hardware
Rockler
Woodcraft
Redmond & Sons

For online stuff, I like:

Lee Valley
Amazon
Hartville Tool

rick fulton
04-15-2006, 11:06 PM
Lately it has been The Japan Woodworker. Mostly because they have all the tools I don't yet have. Like the Commander - 120 oz 36".

tim rowledge
04-16-2006, 2:14 PM
>Tim, you should try living in Japan
Wouldn't mind a visit but I tihnk all those Japanese schoolgirls might deflect me from my purpose in life. If I could even remember it...

Oddly enough, one of the very best online model airplane sites is in japan, run by an American serviceman. They can get parts to me in Canada in three-four days for $2.50. It takes several times as long and four times as much to get stuff from Alberta!

Dennis Peacock
04-16-2006, 2:38 PM
I said Lee Valley. Great products, fast service and shipping is quick.

Mark Rios
04-18-2006, 8:08 PM
Hmmmmmm.....Looks like Lee Valley wins with Amazon a somewhat distant second.

Thanks for playing.

edit: WOW, this thread sure got alot of views.