PDA

View Full Version : Bleaching color question

Mark Hollingsworth
04-13-2006, 6:06 PM
Can I bleach (or something) a dark walnut danish oil finish on ash in order to put a lighter stain such as cherry on a project just finished? Thanks, Mark

Steve Schoene
04-13-2006, 6:16 PM
Bleach won't affect pigment stain--if you had to stir up thick stuff from the bottom, you will have to remove-- not bleach-- for sure. If you didn't the walnut color may well come from asphaltum--basically dissolved roofing tar. I really don't know if bleach will impact this, though I tend to doubt it. And, since the danish oil contains a binder (the oil/varnish mix) bleach can't really get at the color even were it a dye that by itself would be bleachable.

And, since you said ash, it will be very hard to get at color in the pores by stripping and sanding.

Are you sure you don't really like walnut color?

Mark Hollingsworth
04-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Bleach won't affect pigment stain--if you had to stir up thick stuff from the bottom, you will have to remove-- not bleach-- for sure. If you didn't the walnut color may well come from asphaltum--basically dissolved roofing tar. I really don't know if bleach will impact this, though I tend to doubt it. And, since the danish oil contains a binder (the oil/varnish mix) bleach can't really get at the color even were it a dye that by itself would be bleachable.

And, since you said ash, it will be very hard to get at color in the pores by stripping and sanding.

Are you sure you don't really like walnut color?
Steve, Now that I think of it Walnut looks great! Thanks