PDA

View Full Version : I thought I could turn pens....

Michael Stafford
04-13-2006, 6:03 PM
but after seeing this guy's work I think I will reconsider what I do and not refer to it as pen turning but rather pen bludgeoning....

The best I have seen lately....

http://www.gisiwriting.com/page/page/2410859.htm

Andy Hoyt
04-13-2006, 6:12 PM
Yowser!

I'm with you Mike. I think I'll stick to bowl launching, skew stabbing, and bludgeoning wood with a dull gouge.

Chris Barton
04-13-2006, 6:38 PM
They are incredible pens. But, since they are all "in stock" I kind of get the feeling they aren't selling many. Sadly, the hand made pen market is not a way to make much money. I did a lot of research about a year ago looking into the pen market. It's hard to sell the seemingly run of the mill pens much less the pens that are works of art and cost >$400...

Corey Hallagan
04-13-2006, 6:49 PM
Wow, they are beautiful and he does get paid well for doing it!

Corey

Bob Noles
04-13-2006, 6:50 PM
Well Mike..... after seeing those, I think I just further explore the bonker market. :rolleyes:

WOW.... those are some nice pens for sure and just as in your area of expertise of beautiful boxes, I always enjoy the work of others.

Ron Jones near Indy
04-13-2006, 7:25 PM
Impressed? Very!!!! Encouraged to even thinking about trying to copy that kind of work?:o You got to be kidding. My ShopSmith my be for sale soon.:eek: Makes me glad I favor the flat part of this addiction.

Bill Grumbine
04-13-2006, 7:28 PM
They are incredible pens. But, since they are all "in stock" I kind of get the feeling they aren't selling many. Sadly, the hand made pen market is not a way to make much money. I did a lot of research about a year ago looking into the pen market. It's hard to sell the seemingly run of the mill pens much less the pens that are works of art and cost >$400...

Back in the old days of the mid 90s, there were five of us on the internet selling pens, but nothing like this guy's stuff. It went very well, at least for me. Now there are tens of thousands of pen pages out there. I got out of it back in 98 because I was sick of making them. BUT...

Last fall I sold a whole bunch of $25.00 Slimline pens. There is still a market for these, and if you can turn them in a reasonable amount of time, they are still profitable.

You also raise a very good point Chris. The difference between asking price and getting price can often be significant in a couple of different ways.

Bill

Chris Barton
04-13-2006, 7:46 PM
Back in the old days of the mid 90s, there were five of us on the internet selling pens, but nothing like this guy's stuff. It went very well, at least for me. Now there are tens of thousands of pen pages out there. I got out of it back in 98 because I was sick of making them. BUT...

Last fall I sold a whole bunch of $25.00 Slimline pens. There is still a market for these, and if you can turn them in a reasonable amount of time, they are still profitable.

You also raise a very good point Chris. The difference between asking price and getting price can often be significant in a couple of different ways.

Bill

When Grumbine talks, turners listen! I agree. I think there is still a market for pens but, it is one of slim margins. I would have to be a much faster turner to make it worth a go. I have done a few production runs of a particular model (my favorite for this is the cigar pen) where I do at least 20 at a time. I think it is an ideal way for a pre teen to teenager to make some spare cash and learn about operating a business!

Bernie Weishapl
04-13-2006, 8:17 PM
Boy Big Mike you got that one right. Jeeze how can one compare with those. That's impressive.

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-13-2006, 11:02 PM
Mike, while I applaud those talented enough to do all the fancy sectioning of pens and using all the different materials, I have NO problem making "Just ALL WOOD" pens. Being able to bring out the beauty of natural wood is as artistic as being able to figure out the geometry for the "Fancy" pens. Don't give up what you do because of their work. There is room for both.

Bruce