PDA

View Full Version : Wedding gift ideas/suggestions

Matt Day
04-13-2006, 4:58 PM
My best friends are getting married in a few months, and I'm toying with the idea of making them something. He's a Marine Pilot and she's going starting law school. They live in a relatively small condo in San Diego, which is on the other side of the country so I don't think a dining room table would be feasible ship!

Do you all have any suggestions?

Joe Unni
04-13-2006, 5:02 PM
Matt,

What about a set of barrister bookcases? They're typical law office fair as well you could suggest the recipient (the pilot) could display some of his souveniers in one of the glassed in shelves.

That's what came to mind for me.

Good luck,
-joe

Dave Richards
04-13-2006, 5:06 PM
How about a boat? :D

Actually, the barrister bookcase is good. Or maybe some sort of keepsake box for stuff from their honeymoon. Will they be getting silverware as wedding gifts? A silver chest would be good then.

Quinn McCarthy
04-13-2006, 5:10 PM
Matt

I on several occations have givin a cutting board set. A pizza board, a meat board, and a cheese board. I use as many species as I can and give them a listing of the species in the board. I usually make the pizza board about 16" and the meat board about 12x12x2. I also put in a good supply of cutting board oil. I usually sand them to 400-600 grit so they just shine without finish. Then when you put the first few coats of oil on the color just pops. I have really gotten a lot of compliments on these sets.

Gail O'Rourke
04-13-2006, 5:11 PM
small wine rack, one that stands on the floor or sits on top of the hutch.

Chris Barton
04-13-2006, 5:31 PM
small wine rack, one that stands on the floor or sits on top of the hutch.

David Marks did a very nice example of one of these that would hold a couple bottles of wine and some glasses. I liked it enough it made it on to my project list...

Helen Gee
04-13-2006, 5:40 PM
How about a wedding keepsake box that is personalized with their names or initials? They can place keepsake items from their wedding inside.

Paul Downes
04-13-2006, 10:55 PM
Wine and money work real well!!:D

Jamie Buxton
04-13-2006, 11:50 PM
When I've been faced with this, I've worried about making something which turned out to not fit in their home -- wrong style, or too big, or wrong color, or wrong piece of furniture, or the like. I fixed that worry by presenting them with a gift certificate, so they get to choose what they want, and even help make the design choices.

'scuse the bad photography, but the pic is my gift certificate. It is wood. It is engraved by a laser.

Lee Schierer
04-14-2006, 9:52 AM
How about a Tide Clock? Clockit has several tide nautical movements that you could build into a nice clock.