PDA

View Full Version : Now the "vortex" has swirled into my wallet (again)

Jim Davenport
04-13-2006, 3:20 PM
I just got a New Job selling "Chevy's" ( a shameless plug for you guys in Tampa, and West central Florida). To celebrate I made a sojurn to my local Woodcraft store and picked up a few things I needed
(Needed???:rolleyes: )

I got a kit with 2" and 3" sorby sanding pads, and some abrasive discs. An assortment of 2' discs for the sorby, from 60 to 400. I've been using a stiff "twist lock" pad with a little Harbor Freight pnumatic angle grinder.
A Pinnacle parting tool. Previously I only had an old small Craftsman parting tool. I've had good luck with my Pinnacle bowl scraper so far.
I also picked up a Crown "Bedan parting tool", that was on close out. It's 3/8" square Sheffield HSS steel. I plan on regrinding it, and making a small square scraper out of it for finishing the corners of small boxes. It was marked down from $46.99, to $23.49.
And last but certainly not least a couple of bowl blanks, cherry, and walnut.
Here's some pictures for the dreaded "PP".

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-13-2006, 3:30 PM
Next time you go in, get the hand held "Lathe Powered" - 2" Sander. Just got mine and it really gets those little scratches out of the inside without having to have your fingers inside something spinnin' at 500+ RPMs.

Bruce

John Hart
04-13-2006, 4:12 PM
Looks like a pretty good celebration to me!! It's fun to go to the Toy Store! :)

Bernie Weishapl
04-13-2006, 5:21 PM
Great gloat Jim. Aren't toy errrrrrrrrrr tool stores fun? I am getting ready to place a $450 order shortly.

David Fried
04-13-2006, 5:49 PM
I'm drooling! Sanding help would be great - enjoy!
Anything on closeout is kool!!
Nice haul.

Jim Davenport
04-14-2006, 3:04 AM
Next time you go in, get the hand held "Lathe Powered" - 2" Sander. Just got mine and it really gets those little scratches out of the inside without having to have your fingers inside something spinnin' at 500+ RPMs.

Bruce
Bruce;
I saw that hand sander. My local Wood craft store has both the Sorby, and Woodcraft brands.
Like I said I'm currently using a little pnumatic angle grinder. I had a "Twist lock" pad system for it. I bought it for cleaning up aluminum prior to welding. For that I used twist lock "scotch brite pads". I had some sanding pads that came with the kit. so I thought I'd try it. It worked prety good, but I had to be real careful, because the backing plate was very stiff. It could gouge the wood. The pad kit I bought has a 1/4" shank to fit the grinder. I looks similar to the pad thats on the hand sanders, with the foam backing

Barry Stratton
04-14-2006, 3:12 AM
Great haul, did you bring it home in an Avalanche?:rolleyes:

Its probably a good thing that the closest Woodcraft to me is about 2,000+ miles........ I know, they are only a few "clicks" away, but it must be fun walking the floor, looking at everything..... Do they hand out drool towels?

Jim Davenport
04-14-2006, 3:19 AM
Great haul, did you bring it home in an Avalanche?:rolleyes:

Its probably a good thing that the closest Woodcraft to me is about 2,000+ miles........ I know, they are only a few "clicks" away, but it must be fun walking the floor, looking at everything..... Do they hand out drool towels?
No' I'm still driving a Dodge pickup (I park it in the back):rolleyes:
The local store furnishes me with towels;)

Chuck Beland
04-14-2006, 5:18 AM
They usually give me a whole roll of paper towels. & a bucket. LOL