PDA

View Full Version : Poyurethane on MDF - Followup

Rick Schubert
04-13-2006, 11:19 AM
I went ahead and applied two coats of full strength oil-based poly with foam bushes to the MDF. I sanded with 220 grit between coats.

All seemed to go OK. It flowed on fine. Soaked in a lot the first coat and some the second coat.

My question: The surface is a little rough. Should I now lightly sand it again and apply a coat of paste wax to make it slippery?

Rick

Steve Schoene
04-13-2006, 6:19 PM
Isn't this a work/assembly table? Why should it be super slippery? I see the finish as just a way to keep moisture a bit more at bay, and to let glue not penetrate so deeply that it can't be popped off, not part of the table function.

Howard Acheson
04-13-2006, 6:40 PM
I agree with Steve. Assembly tables do not need to be slippery. In fact, I like mine to be a little slip resistant.

Rick Schubert
04-13-2006, 7:13 PM
It is a planer support table about 60" long. It supports the wood entering the planer and also on the outfeed side to reduce/eliminate any snipe. The plans were in FWW last issue.

That's why I was thinking slippery to help the wood slide along the table as it proceeds thru the planer.

Rick

Steve Schoene
04-13-2006, 8:20 PM
In that usage, slippery won't hurt, so go ahead and wax. Wax is always removable anyway.