PDA

View Full Version : Cummins Tools

Mike Gratton
04-13-2006, 9:05 AM
We've got a cummins tools road show coming through town this weekend. Anybody know of anything worthwhile that they have?

thanks,
mikeg

tod evans
04-13-2006, 9:09 AM
tai/chi by and large on par with harbor freight, any name brands are usually recons....02 tod

Kyle Kraft
04-13-2006, 9:10 AM
Usually they carry the "quality import" stuff with a smattering of "factory reconditioned" name brand items. caveat emptor!!

Carl Eyman
04-13-2006, 9:53 AM
I've had poor luck with their stuff. Name brands may be ok, but their general line is questionable at best.

Ed Labadie
04-13-2006, 9:58 AM
They stop in out town a couple times a year, I browsed their display, once.
I felt it was a wate of my time.
They also have a recall on one of their air compressors now, seems it likes to catch on fire & burn your shop down.

Ed

Lou Morrissette
04-13-2006, 9:58 AM
I've had good luck buying "consumables", ie. utility brushes in bulk, and did pretty good on a Milwaukee Sawsall recon. Mostly China power tools of questionable quality.

Lou

Steve Clardy
04-13-2006, 10:48 AM
Very risky stuff to buy.
Been to a coupe of their road shows, sales over the years.
Not worth the effort for me to go.

Rick Doyle
04-13-2006, 12:19 PM
Very risky stuff to buy.
Been to a coupe of their road shows, sales over the years.
Not worth the effort for me to go.

just to emphasize this point - there is an immediate recall (Apr. 11/06) on the Cummins Pancake compresser for a serious fire hazard. Here's the link to the recall notice:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml06/06136.html

Hazard: An undersized power cord can overheat and pose a fire hazard.

if you have one of these compressors, or know of anyone who owns one, better get it checked out.

Doug Hobkirk
04-13-2006, 12:22 PM
The professional's comments are right - most of the tools are not professional quality - they are more like Harbor Freight quality [which I think is fine for some tools that I won't use often].

I think it's really great being able to see / feel / operate the tool before sending money based on the pic in the HF flyer. E.g., I