PDA

View Full Version : Double Deep Do-Do

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-13-2006, 3:12 AM
Yep the whole spinnig world is now in Double Deep Do-Do, as I've got MORE tools!! :D I walked by a tree on the way to the shop, it was shaking on it's roots ;)

OK, now thanks to one Barry Stratton (thanks Barry!!) I'm now chucking chunks of wood in the Dungeon!! :D

Lousy cell phone pic, but at least this proves it!

The chuck was in the Dungeon less than 5 minutes when it was put to use. (Heck I even wiped it off first).

I used it as a jam chuck first to make a tenon on the bottom of the bowl, and then I turned it around, and chucked it up and went to town!

Not quite done yet, they called me back to the L shop, some one ordered some beer, and they seem to think I deliver it or something :rolleyes:

I'll get it done tomorrow, as I'm busy tonight, but man is that cool!

With the C-man lathe, I have that indexing doohickey that acts as a spindle lock, so chucking something up with the bars is super easy.

Man I'm going to be making a mess, and of course, I'm just about finished my spring cleaning!

The bowl is the cracked on that I glued up using the wood specific CA stuff, holding just fine, but you can sure tell when you hit that CA stuff, it is HARD compared to the wood.

Thanks again Barry, you are one heck of a good guy!

Cheers!

Barry Stratton
04-13-2006, 3:24 AM
You are welcome, Stu. ANYthing to keep the Tokyo mad logger posting pictures!!!

Nice looking bowl, but are you SURE you wiped the chuck off???

04-13-2006, 4:31 AM
You are welcome, Stu. ANYthing to keep the Tokyo mad logger posting pictures!!!

Nice looking bowl, but are you SURE you wiped the chuck off???

Wiped yes, cleaned no.........:D

Jim Dunn
04-13-2006, 8:03 AM
Stu I too have a C-man lathe. After reading your post about tightening the chuck against the index, don't. It's a real weak pin and as you've noticed it locks in the pulley. Wouldn't want you to bust the pulley now that your turning, and turning, and turning ect. ect. ect.:)

04-13-2006, 8:19 AM
Stu I too have a C-man lathe. After reading your post about tightening the chuck against the index, don't. It's a real weak pin and as you've noticed it locks in the pulley. Wouldn't want you to bust the pulley now that your turning, and turning, and turning ect. ect. ect.:)

Thanks for the heads up Jim.

I don't tighten against the pin, for that I use both bars, I guess I did not explain it well. When bringing the jaws up to the tenon, I hold the bowl in my right hand, and use the left hand to move the one bar in the chuck, the other bar is not needed as the index pin holds that half of the chuck. Once the bowl is snug, not tight, I then undo the spindle lock, and use both bars to tighten the chuck further.

Cheers!