04-13-2006, 2:09 AM
Hi,

I've just joined this Forum and thought I should introduce myself -

http://tonyward.org/pro/images/products/TonyWards-Platypus.jpg

Tony Ward

Larry Cooke
04-13-2006, 2:30 AM
Welcome to the Creek Tony!

Your box is an impressive work of art. I hope you forgive my ignorance but what do the carved symbols mean?

Larry

Tony Ward
04-13-2006, 3:02 AM
This four drawer box was carved from one block of Australian Red Cedar.

The carvings on each side of the box depict the river bank habitate of the Platypus. The carvings which can be seen on the side of the box depict some of the Platypus natural predators, for example the eagle, dingo, feral dogs, crocodile and the snake. On the other side of the sculpted box is a carving of the Platypus in it's den, below ground level, feeding the Pup.

It was fun completing this bandsawn box.

Tony Ward
(http://www.tonyward.org)

Larry Cooke
04-13-2006, 3:18 AM
This four drawer box was carved from one block of Australian Red Cedar.I didn't even notice the drawers until you mentioned it. I thought the lines were deep carvings, brilliant job!

The carvings on each side of the box depict the river bank habitate of the Platypus. The carvings which can be seen on the side of the box depict some of the Platypus natural predators, for example the eagle, dingo, feral dogs, crocodile and the snake. On the other side of the sculpted box is a carving of the Platypus in it's den, below ground level, feeding the Pup.

It was fun completing this bandsawn box.Hope you don't take this the wrong way but I thought it was a bird popping it's head from it's nest... Now it all makes sense. Very nice box indeed.

Larry

Vaughn McMillan
04-13-2006, 5:14 AM
Welcome to the Creek Tony. Impressive work you're doing down there in Oz. There are a few others from your part of the world who show up here from time to time. The Red Cedar is gorgeous...I can see how you tend to find neat boxes hiding within.

Just a note, but the SMC rules don't allow having a link in your signature line. Just make sure it's in your Profile, and others here can easily find your site.

Looking forward to seeing more of your fine work.

- Vaughn

lou sansone
04-13-2006, 5:31 AM
nice work and welcome to the creek
lou

tod evans
04-13-2006, 6:39 AM
welcome tony!

John Bailey
04-13-2006, 7:14 AM
Tony,

Welcome to the Creek. I always enjoy the perspective of our international members. Would love to see other pictures of your work, shop, tools, etc.. By the way, where are the Blue Mts.?

John

Pete Harbin
04-13-2006, 7:31 AM
Welcome to the Creek Tony! The box is really beautiful. The curl in the grain ripples like the river!

Pete

Bob Noles
04-13-2006, 7:42 AM
Welcome to SMC Tony and thanks for the peek of that fantastic box.

Tony Ward
04-13-2006, 8:16 AM
Tony,

Welcome to the Creek. I always enjoy .. By the way, where are the Blue Mts.?

John

the Blue Mountains is part of a mountain range extending along the East Coast of Australia. The area known as Blue Mountains, so called because of it's appearance from a distance, is situated west of Sydney. It is the major city of New South Wales (aka NSW). Sydney is the financial capital and most populated city of Australia.

Tony Ward

Jim Davenport
04-13-2006, 8:52 AM
Welcome Tony.
I visited Western Australia back in the early eighties. Beautiful country, and wonderful and friendly people.
Your cedar box is a truly beautiful piece. I look forward to seeing more of your work.:)

Kevin Herber
04-13-2006, 9:03 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Tony. I'm always amazed at what sparks the imagination of craftsmen. After your explanation I looked again and certainly see the platypus form. Outstanding work.

I agree, we need more pictures of your work and space.

Thanks for joining!! -- Kevin

Chris Barton
04-13-2006, 9:12 AM
Welcome Tony! Great piece. Is that a bandsaw box with carved details? Beautiful!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-13-2006, 9:34 AM
Welcome to the Creek Tony! Wade right in the water's fine! Beautiful work on that box! Got a couple of friends and co-workers in Austrailia and New Zealand. The LOML and I hope to vacation there in a couple of years when I retire. Again.........Welcome to the Creek!

Brett Baldwin
04-13-2006, 9:48 AM
Welcome Tony. At first, I thought the bird sticking its head out looked a lot like a platypus and then I read your reply and found out my impression was spot on. Very nice work and beautiful wood.

Steve Clardy
04-13-2006, 10:52 AM
Welcome Tony!!

Jim Becker
04-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Welcome, Tony! I hope you'll do a thread about how you make such exquisite boxes!

John Miliunas
04-13-2006, 11:06 AM
Great having you on the Creek, Tony! :) You must've been browsing around a bit before jumping in, as I see you've already got our "Picture Police" satisfied, right out of the box! :D And, speaking of "box", that's a wonderful piece! I can't carve a turkey, much less something that beautiful! As Jim suggested, even a short tutorial or "how-to" would be wonderful! :) Thanks for joining up and hope to "see" you and your work around a lot more! :) :cool:

David Duke
04-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Great looking work Tony and welcome to the Creek, hope to see more of your creative work in the future.

Dave Fifield
04-13-2006, 4:35 PM
G'day Tony. Nice work mate!

Cheers,
Dave F.

Don Baer
04-13-2006, 5:55 PM
Hey Tony,
Great work and welcome to the creek.