PDA

View Full Version : Tool handle length and mini lathes....

Barry Stratton
04-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Another rookie question.......

I've got a cheap Harbor Freight set of tools that are ~16" long. When face plate turning, I've had some trouble with the handles bumping the lathe bed - the result is usually a pretty good catch and a neat launch. I pay attention now and haven't had as much trouble but was wondering if it is ME and POOR TECHNIQUE or a combination of ME and tools slightly too long for the Jet mini??

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-13-2006, 12:21 AM
Well Berry, if that's the HF set for about $30.00, HSS in a wooden box, I have that set. If you are bumping the bed, you need to work with the tip more between 6 O'clock and about 9 O'clock. That way you will be well above the bed on the handle end.

Bruce

Chris Barton
04-13-2006, 7:52 AM
Hi Barry,

I have a mini as well and frequently use a n Irish grind bowl gouge on it that is nearly 3' long and haven't hit the bed with the handle yet. Can you describe what kind of cut you are making when you run into this problem?

Jim Davenport
04-13-2006, 8:23 AM
I have a Crown Bowl gouge, and Pinnacle scraper that have long handles. I do remove the tailstock on my Rikon mini when I do bowls. Thats to allow me to get the handle straight in. I'm still very much a "rookie" on bowls, and still get the odd catch from time to time with the gouge, but I'm getting better.
I'd suggest looking at your technique. I can't profess telling anyone the right technique. But watching the Richard Raffan video, and reading a couple of his books has done wonders for me.
Good luck.

David Fried
04-13-2006, 8:41 AM
At first I found the bed on my Jet 1236 in the way.
I adjusted the "line" of my cut to allow the handle to swing toward me, out past the bed, before lowering the handle.

Don Orr
04-13-2006, 10:20 AM
Barry, the handles on those tools should not be too long for a mini lathe, unless the tailstock is in the way. If the handle is a lot lower than the cutting edge you might be asking for a catch. Kind of hard to describe but if the tool is pointing up into the inside of the bowl,or outside for that matter, your tool rest could be raised so that the cutting edge is at or slightly above the center-line, with the tool held more parallel to the bed. Then you can swing smoothly through the cut from rim to bottom on the inside of the bowl.
When people ask how high the tool rest should be, I usually respond "high enough", meaning it depends on the tool being used. The tool rest needs to be adjusted so that, as I said above, the cutting edge is at or slightly above center, with the tool fairly parallel to the bed. The exception is, of course, scrapers where the handle should be higher than the edge but still cutting at or slightly above center.
Not sure I explained this adequately-easier to show someone.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun.

Jim Becker
04-13-2006, 11:06 AM
I'm really having trouble visualizing how the tool handles are getting anywhere near the lathe bed while turning, no matter what their length. With the exception of certain special cutting techniques, such as shear cuts with a side-grind where the tool is held 45 degrees down and 45 degrees to the side, tools are usually somewhat horizontal. This all assumes that the tool rest is set to an appropriate height relative to the workpiece as well as the particular tool being used.

Perhaps you can show us a picture of where you are getting in trouble with this??

Barry Stratton
04-13-2006, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the responses. Paid more attention to how I was presenting the tool last night and discovered my probem is ME AND POOR TECHNIQUE! It is a combination of the tool rest being too low, presenting the tool edge too high, and trying to control the tool "right handed" while being left handed.

It sure is tempting to stand on the "other" side of the lathe but I UNDERSTAND THOSE DANGERS REAL WELL and won't!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for the responses, I appreciate the input/insight.

Jim Davenport
04-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the responses. Paid more attention to how I was presenting the tool last night and discovered my probem is ME AND POOR TECHNIQUE! It is a combination of the tool rest being too low, presenting the tool edge too high, and trying to control the tool "right handed" while being left handed.

It sure is tempting to stand on the "other" side of the lathe but I UNDERSTAND THOSE DANGERS REAL WELL and won't!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for the responses, I appreciate the input/insight.

I'm also "Right brained" It was a challenge to learn to use the tool right handed. That probably contributed to a couple of "launches":rolleyes: