PDA

View Full Version : Bottlestopper....and rookie question....

Barry Stratton
04-12-2006, 11:09 PM
Bought a handlful of bottle stopper kits - these are fast and fun.

This one is walnut. Showed it to a few folks at work and got requests for a couple. I like this spinny stuff.

Now the question - I've made 3 and cannot take the wood off the stopper chuck. I've found that waiting 20 minutes or so and it came off relatively easy. Is this due to heat from turning/sanding/finishing expanding the wood???????? Or am I just a complete wimp?

Paul Douglass
04-12-2006, 11:18 PM
I can't answer your question. I made one for fun and practice out of some scrap fir. Didn't read the instructions about drilling the hole bigger before screwing the wood onto the bottle stopper. Couldn't get it back off because the stud stayed in the wood and the stopper unscrewed from the stud! Had to break it off with a hammer!

They are fun to make though.

I really like yours, nice job.

Corey Hallagan
04-12-2006, 11:25 PM
That's great Barry! I haven't tried those yet!

Corey

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-12-2006, 11:34 PM
Nice Stopper...........

.......... you are just a wimp............. :D

Why do you want to take it off, looks good to me.

Cheers!

Bernie Weishapl
04-12-2006, 11:42 PM
Excellent Barry. Looks mighty fine. Great work.

John Hart
04-13-2006, 7:00 AM
Well done Barry! I've not tried a Bottle Stopper....Don't know anything about your wimp question....but if you can pack a bear or caribou out of the hills, It prolly has more to do with heat expansion.:)

Mike Vickery
04-13-2006, 2:29 PM
Not sure I have never had that problem. Not sure if you are doing this already or not but I use a tap the same size as the stoppers threads and tap out the hole before mounting on the chuck. Autoparts stores usually have cheap taps that are fine to use on wood.

Barry Stratton
04-14-2006, 12:27 AM
Mike - THANK YOU! I have a bottle stopper screw chuck and have been screwing the blank onto it, mounting to the lathe, and spinning. I just went out after reading your post and did the same thing, then unscrewed the chuck and then screwed it back into the block of wood. I turned the stopper, turned off the lathe and it screwed right off.

Great pens on your website BTW.