PDA

View Full Version : About time for another Tormek question

George Conklin
04-12-2006, 9:17 PM
Everytime I go to my local Woodcraft, the Tormek display calls my name:eek: .

Any of you guys that have one, what's your opinion on turning tool sharpening? I've got a Wolverine and it's great, but I'm wondering if the Tormek is all that much better?

Jeff Farris
04-12-2006, 10:06 PM
I know Chandler is a long way from Pomona, but I would love the chance to answer that question face to face at the SoCal Woodworking Show in a couple weeks. I will show you how to sharpen your tools and how to use them once they're sharp.

George Conklin
04-12-2006, 10:12 PM
I know Chandler is a long way from Pomona, but I would love the chance to answer that question face to face at the SoCal Woodworking Show in a couple weeks. I will show you how to sharpen your tools and how to use them once they're sharp.

Thanks for the offer, Jeff. Pomona is about a 6 to 7 hour drive from here and about 3 or 4 days from you.

Enjoy your time at the show.

Steven Wilson
04-13-2006, 1:44 AM
I have both the Tormek and the Wolverine and I greatly prefer the Tormek over the Wolverine system for sharpening. However, if I really need to regrind a profile I use the Wolverine system. I bought the Wolverine mainly because that's what most of the turners in our local club use and it's handy to know how to use it on club events. The Tormek is a good at getting things fairly sharp, I still find that I often end up taking my skew chisels from the Tormek to a couple of Shapton stones to get them real sharp. As for chisels and plane irons the Tormek is great for cleaning up the edge and establishing an accurate bevel. I find that the Tormek doesn't get plane irons or chisels ment for final finish or sizing work sharp enough so for honing I use the higher grade Shapton ceramic stones. I really noticed this when I was leveling butcher block. It was really worth it to sharpen the plane irons to 15000 grit Shapton stone, at that level the plane cut very well.

Jim Davenport
04-13-2006, 3:50 AM
I can't reply on the Wolverine, I only have the Tormek.
Do a search for both. That is what I did, prior to making the choice to buy the tormek. There was a lot of comments about the Tormek being slower. Maybe it is, but it seems fast enough for me. I sharpen tools, specially scrapers several times while turning a bowl.
What sold me was the versatility of the tormek. SWMBO loves the fact she has the sharpest knives, and scissers she's ever had.
My "neander tools", planes and chisels have risen to a new level of perfomance.
I have some used jointer blades that are going to get sharpened when I have time to devote to learning the jig.
I still kinda have tears in my eyes when I think what I paid for it:eek: . But I guess with time, I'll get over that.
Summing it up, Mortage your house, and get the tormek!:D

Chris Barton
04-13-2006, 7:49 AM
Hi George,

I have both and I guess it would be like comparing apples and oranges. My Woodcraft slow speed grinder with Wolverine kit sits side by side with my Tormek. Funky Irish grinds get done on the Tormek because it is easier and much less scary. I use the Tormek for the little detachable bits for the hollow masters and such as well. All other gouges visit the Wolverine. Both are great tools and you wouldn't regret owning either. But, if you could own only one, the Tormek can do it all... at a price. The jigs are what kill you.

Jeff Farris
04-13-2006, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the offer, Jeff. Pomona is about a 6 to 7 hour drive from here and about 3 or 4 days from you.

Enjoy your time at the show.

Okay, not to build myself up too much, but 6 to 7 hours seems like not a lot when making a decision that you'll have to live with for years of turning.

Jeff Farris
SharpToolsUSA

Dennis Peacock
04-13-2006, 11:32 PM
If I only had TIME....If I only had time.......to do another comparison between the Wolverine/grinder and the Tormek on turning tools. I'll let it go at that. :rolleyes: ;)

Jim Becker
04-14-2006, 9:59 AM
Well...for turning tools, I'd rather use a traditional grinder setup with the Wolverine. Personal preference, both for the function and for the wallet.

Reed Gray
04-14-2006, 1:08 PM
I have a Tormek, and never use it. If I was to use it for my turning tools, I would go through a wheel in less than a month. I do a lot of turning. It is fine for getting a fair edge on your bench chisels, and plane irons, but because the wheel is so soft, it needs to be dressed after each use. I went excentric, and bought CBN (cubic boric nitride wheels) for my slow speed grinder. Any metal grinding specialty supply place can get them for you, but be prepared, an 8 by 1 inch wheel costs about $300. You can get them made in any grit (I have an 80 and 320 grit wheel). The wheel is aluminum with about 3/16 inch of cbn bonded to it. It is so hard that it will eat a diamone dresser, but unlike diamond wheels which do fine for grinding carbide, these are made for grinding steel. You clean the wheel by using an aluminum oxide stick. If the wheel needs to be dressed, you have to take it back to the maker. I wore one out in a little over 2 years. It still had 1/16 inch of material on it, but I wanted another one. Comparing it to the other wheels, I would guess that in the same time I would have gone through 2 to 4 standard wheels, and at least 2 gouges. They are well worth the money, but it is a big chunk to put out all at once.
robo hippy

Daniel Heine
04-14-2006, 1:21 PM
Hello,

For my sharpening, I bought a inch metal sanding plate, put grit psa sand paper on it, and put it in my drill press. I grind my tools on this, then take it to a hard paper wheel coated with Aluminum Oxide, and finish with a floppy wheel dressed with floppy compound. My tools finish razor sharp, and I do not have the concave grind that round wheels produce. A flat grind id stronger, and will stay sharp longer.

Once I have the tool ground properly, I find it is very seldom necessary to grind again. After anout minutes of turning, I go back to the paper/floppy wheels, and the tools is again honed perfectly.

It's also a lot cheaper than a Tormek. I have always felt the Tormek was for people who don't know how to sharpen properly.

Happy Easter,
Dan Heine

Richard Jones
04-14-2006, 7:28 PM
Daniel,

I know how to sharpen, I just happen to think that the Tormek does a better job on some things, not all. There are sure a lot of professional sharpeners that would disagree with your statement about the Tormek being for people that don't know how to sharpen.

Not sure how you come up with your blanket statement about a flat grind will last longer. You got some data on that? Also, seems to me that a floppy wheel will round the edge over. (I don't have any data on that either, just seems logical.)

My tools are also razor sharp, so I'm not sure where you're coming from with your comments. Suffice it to say that I like the way I do it and you like the way you do it. I don't have any problem with that and I certainly don't begrudge you your system. If you don't want to buy one, don't.

I can beat my clothes on a rock and get them clean, too, but that doesn't mean I'm going to get rid of my washing machine.............. :)

Richard Jones
Rice, VA

Hello,

For my sharpening, I bought a inch metal sanding plate, put grit psa sand paper on it, and put it in my drill press. I grind my tools on this, then take it to a hard paper wheel coated with Aluminum Oxide, and finish with a floppy wheel dressed with floppy compound. My tools finish razor sharp, and I do not have the concave grind that round wheels produce. A flat grind id stronger, and will stay sharp longer.

Once I have the tool ground properly, I find it is very seldom necessary to grind again. After anout minutes of turning, I go back to the paper/floppy wheels, and the tools is again honed perfectly.

It's also a lot cheaper than a Tormek. I have always felt the Tormek was for people who don't know how to sharpen properly.

Happy Easter,
Dan Heine

Dennis Peacock
04-14-2006, 7:58 PM
Well...let's see....after reading through here again....allow me to make 2 comments.

1. I am using the SAME Tormek wheel that came with my Tormek about 4 years ago. 3 years of its use was primarily on my turning tools, and I turned a LOT during that time. I have sharpened dozens of knives, taken it to various BBQ's for demo'ing, sharpened MANY planer irons, chisels, scissors, kitchen knives and the list goes on from there. Still on the same wheel. I'm still over 220 on the meter on the Tormek for wheel size.

2. I also use the Wolverine setup on my turning tools, but for a cleaner, nicer edge? I prefer the edge off the Tormek. Just my personal opinion and experience.

Note: when done correctly? You CAN shave with any edge off the Tormek and THAT's sharp enough for any woodworking edge I need. :D

George Conklin
04-14-2006, 8:12 PM
Thanks for the input, Dennis and everyone else. Looks like I'm on my way to hock the house and get a Tormek:D

Bob Noles
04-14-2006, 8:45 PM
George.....

Just do it and don't look back. It is a great machine albeit's high end cost.

John Shuk
04-15-2006, 12:18 AM
I know turners that I respect on both sides of the aisle on this one. Seems that the biggest issue for those that don't use to Tormek is that it takes longer. I have a wolverine but I also know that someday I'll get a Tormek. If it gets you to sharpen those hand tools just to play with I bet you improve your skill with them too. If you are willing to swallow the price tag then I can't see it being a bad thing. If you don't like it they go on EBAY used for almost the price of new.

Jim Davenport
04-15-2006, 7:08 AM
"DITTO" to what Richard Jones, and Dennis Peacock said. Although I'll have to admitt after getting my Tormek, I found out I probably didn't know how to sharpen. Because everything is soooo much sharper:D