PDA

View Full Version : General 35-01 Drill Press

Doug Mason
04-12-2006, 8:14 PM
I am in the market for a new Drill Press--and am considering the General 35-01. However, it's lowest speed is around 450--how big a problem would this be for general woodworking? Anyone familiar/use this model?

I am also considering the Delta X5 drill press, but the General is onlt $300 bucks more at $1250 and has alot more IRON. It's alot to spend on a DP, but I want to buy once and "be-done"!

Dev Emch
04-12-2006, 8:38 PM
I am in the market for a new Drill Press--and am considering the General 35-01. However, it's lowest speed is around 450--how big a problem would this be for general woodworking? Anyone familiar/use this model?

I am also considering the Delta X5 drill press, but the General is onlt $300 bucks more at $1250 and has alot more IRON. It's alot to spend on a DP, but I want to buy once and "be-done"!

I own a made in canada general drill press. First general i ever bought and I still own it. Incredible drill press but a couple of observations.

First of all, the lowest speed of 450 or so RPM is plenty for running HSS special purpose bits like plug cutters, dowel cutters and of course Forstner bits. I have not changed my speed in a long time.

The only time I had an issue with speed was when I needed to run a 6 inch hole saw on steel. This hole saw and the material gave me a feed and speed RPM of about 250 RPM. To get that I would need to get the optional third pulley system which allows you to go much lower than 450 RPM and as high as 6000 RPM. Turns out I found another method using my milling machine.

It would be nice if the table cranked up and down. Again there is an option you can get to allow you to move the table with a crank a few inches. But this has not proven to be an issue.

Overall I really like this drill press but even with all its iron it is a bit light. The imports are much lighter than this one. If I ever get another drill press to repace this one, I will get a used 20 inch US made, three phase, Clausing with a production table and an automatic down feed quill system which was an option.

If I were to look for one like this, I would look for an older Rockwell/Delta or a Buffalo Forge or a Walker Turner. And of course you have the general to choose from. Not to happy with the rest of them out there in hole-ey land.

Should you get the general, it will not let you down. By the way, I ordered mine with an optional 1 HP motor. Not sure if that is standard today or not.

Good Luck...

Doug Mason
05-03-2006, 11:19 AM
So after some more research, I have decided to go ahead and get the General 34-01 with the optional speed pully for reduced RPM. It is more of a cash outlay than I anticipated, but experience (prior disapointments) has taught me to buy a bit more than what I need.

I would have bought a used drill press - as this is the best route - and there are a lot out there; but I have never owned or used a drill press, and so do not know enough to make an educated decision (the risk vs buying new).

Anyone have any thoughts? Complete overkill for me as a weekend warrioir who up to this point has got by with a hand held drill?

Seth Poorman
05-03-2006, 11:47 AM
When it comes to buying woodworking tools for me, the heaviest I can afford.........USA Made !.........What Dev said:

Joe Chritz
05-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Anyone have any thoughts? Complete overkill for me as a weekend warrioir who up to this point has got by with a hand held drill?

Overkill! BAH!! If one pound will blow it up two pounds will blow it up twice as good. You can always use less then full power but its very hard to use more. You will be very happy I'm sure.

Joe