PDA

View Full Version : What do I do now?

Jim Stoppleworth
04-12-2006, 6:35 PM
I have this really nice 3" thick X 11 3/4" diameter candy dish in the making on the lathe right now. After roughing out the outside I've discovered that when I slabbed it I got rid of the pith on one side but it is nearly an inch down in the wood on the other end. If I totally get rid of the pith I'm gonna end up with a mighty shallow candy dish. Ordinarily I wouldn't care but this is for the reception area of the person who gave me the wood and I'd like it to be nice. What would you do to salvage this piece of wood?

Stoppy

John Hart
04-12-2006, 7:22 PM
Got any pics Jim? What kind of wood? Maybe a little CA can lend a hand. Sorry, I just can't visualize nuthin tonight

Andy Hoyt
04-12-2006, 7:33 PM
Remount the blank on a wobbly angle so that the pith could be turned away.

Jim Stoppleworth
04-12-2006, 8:37 PM
John,
No pics LOML has camera at gardening meeting. I believe the wood is box elder with beautiful red stripes through it.

Andy,
Neat idea.

I've hogged the center out and left an 1.5" rim sealed it with anchorseal and am gona give it a few months to dry. Since there is a little pith left on the other side also Andy your idea is sounding better and better as I type. Turn the pith out of both sides and have thumb grips to pick the dish up.
Might work. Whatcha think?

Jim

Andy Hoyt
04-12-2006, 9:16 PM
I think you should try it now and then let it season.

Chris Barton
04-13-2006, 7:55 AM
Just another possibility. You could get some acetone and plexiglass and dislove the plexi in the acetone and submerge the piece in the mixture for a week or so. Then pull it out and allow to cure for a few days. This is how some folks stablize pen blanks.

Ernie Kuhn
04-13-2006, 9:58 AM
Min Wax Wood Hardner? May take a couple of days to cure. I'm trying to salvage a punky cherry bowl blank.
Just a thought.
Ernie