PDA

View Full Version : first mini-esque turning (a chalice)

Stephen Hibbs
04-12-2006, 4:19 PM
I decided to make a mini cup with one of my many small pieces of juniper. The wood is easy to turn, and it was mostly an exercise in making a nice dovetail for my new chuck (I'm making a lot of progress). I was going to make 2 cups with the piece I had but the second one is now a mini funnel. It would have been really nice, I just forgot when touching up the outside bottom that I could already see light through that part. I have to say, it was really fun to make, and a good exercise in control when shaping since there is much less leeway. Not a huge fan of the shape IMO, but I plan on making many more.
2.5" short X 2.25" wide, and disappointingly thick. The danish oil really brought out the color

Stephen Hibbs
04-12-2006, 4:22 PM
here's a profile shot36358

Bob Noles
04-12-2006, 4:38 PM
Stephen,

Nice job and looks like some really good practice. I kinda like the form you selected.

Bernie Weishapl
04-12-2006, 6:14 PM
Looks like a fine job Stephen. Keep'em coming.

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-13-2006, 12:41 AM
Steven, there's nothing wrong with the design. It might not be what you envisioned, but it works. The wood has a lot of character, too.

Bruce

Ken Fitzgerald
04-13-2006, 12:57 AM
Stephen .....nice mini-chlice! Yup ....those minis are really contol challenge and lesson! But when your new to turning like I am, every project is a lesson...a challenge. I've got some cherry I'm playing with. I wonder how that Danish Oil would look on it?

Again....nice project and good practice!

Barry Stratton
04-13-2006, 2:18 AM
I like it! Nice shape and that wood has interesting grain and color! Danish oil finish is great also!

Stephen Hibbs
04-13-2006, 1:38 PM
This wood is great for mini cups and chalices in general since the heart wood only has a 1" diameter on the smaller pieces, but not so great for bowls since when filled you can't see the inside of them!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-13-2006, 2:04 PM
Love the way the stem is a different color, that looks neat!

Great job! :D