PDA

View Full Version : No More Roasting Chestnuts Around Here

Glenn Hodges
04-12-2006, 1:59 PM
One of my woodspoters called me and asked me if I wanted a chestnut tree. You all can guess my reply. Upon arriving at the home where it lived I asked the owner if he knew how few chestnut trees were around these days. He said he did not know anything about that, but if I wanted the tree I could have it because he was tired of the leaves and the burls containing the chestnuts littering his yard, and he was going to cut it down. I said I would like to have it and in fact I would give him a bowl from the tree, his face lit up as I said that. I believe this was the only chestnut tree in my county, possibly the entire area of South Georgia. My helper was out of school today for spring holidays so we went over today and cut it down, loaded it up on my trailer and brought it home. While I was cutting it I asked the guy if he ever ate any of the chestnuts, and he replied, "No, I heard they were poisionus." I ask him if he ever heard of a song with the lyrics, Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire?" He had that duh look on his face, but it was to late, the tree was down and he had been caught with his pants down. The pictures will show that the tree is about 30 inches in diameter at its base with dark tan wood you would expect in a chestnut tree. This is not the old native American chestnut tree, but one which was developed at the Univ. of Florida to be resistant to the blight which killed all the native varieties. I thought some of you might like to see the wood in a green chestnut tree. This one was planted about 30 years ago, and I hated to see it go, but if it had to go I am glad it went my way.

Tim Beauregard
04-12-2006, 2:49 PM
That sounds like good growth...30 inches diameter in 30 years.

Congrats on the find! I wonder where else some of those U of F Chestnut trees can be found.

Regards,
Tim B.

P.S. Did that friend of your pass on his genes? Didn't know about Chestnut blight? Didn't know chestnuts are edible? Outta the gene pool!!
:D

Frank Chaffee
04-12-2006, 6:17 PM
Glenn,
I can imagine that you were of two minds when felling that tree, and having seen your work, I am also glad it fell your way.
Nice trailer too! Does it have outriggers?
Frank

Ed Scolforo
04-12-2006, 6:18 PM
Oh, the possibilities! Good haul, Glenn.
Ed

Glenn Hodges
04-12-2006, 7:25 PM
Tim, I had never met the guy before, my friend found this tree and introduce me to the guy that owned the tree.

Frank, I designed this trailer. The hydrallic boom on the back allows me to lift a log up so it will clear the rear of the trailer and I have an electric winch to pull it on up onto the trailer. It can be a one man operation. I don't understand about outriggers, help me with this.

This afternoon was spent cutting bowl blanks and painting them with Anchorseal.

John Hart
04-12-2006, 7:28 PM
No doubt that the tree will bring forth new beauty with you at the helm Glenn. Congratulations.:)

Frank Chaffee
04-12-2006, 8:46 PM
Frank, I designed this trailer. The hydrallic boom on the back allows me to lift a log up so it will clear the rear of the trailer and I have an electric winch to pull it on up onto the trailer. It can be a one man operation. I don't understand about outriggers, help me with this.
This afternoon was spent cutting bowl blanks and painting them with Anchorseal.
Glenn,
I look forward to seeing what you do with that wood.

By outriggers, I was wondering if you attached a stabilizer to the heavy unequal leg angle iron that crosses the trailer just to the rear of your winch, to resist overturning on the winch side.

Very nice trailer, regardless!
Frank

Corey Hallagan
04-12-2006, 9:12 PM
Awesome, can't wait to see what comes off of the lathe from that tree!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
04-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Glenn that is absolutely cool. You ought to have some wood to turn for some time. Can't wait to see some stuff from the tree.

Tom Stover
04-12-2006, 10:53 PM
That sounds like good growth...30 inches diameter in 30 years.

Congrats on the find! I wonder where else some of those U of F Chestnut trees can be found.

Regards,
Tim B.

P.S. Did that friend of your pass on his genes? Didn't know about Chestnut blight? Didn't know chestnuts are edible? Outta the gene pool!!
:D
Tim, you can find one in my backyard but my wife won't let me cut it.:mad: They are a real mess in the fall.

Good haul Glenn, should be a lot of bowls there.

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-13-2006, 12:25 AM
Your saving the tree will allow it's beauty be appreciated for decades to come, because of the bowls, etc. you'll make with it..

Bruce

Mark Cothren
04-13-2006, 9:29 AM
Great score, Glenn! Good work!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-13-2006, 9:36 AM
Glenn...........I'm jealous........Looks like some great wood and possibilities!

Jim Becker
04-13-2006, 11:09 AM
While I'm very, very sad that the tree came down, I'm glad it's in good hands and will live on as art from your shop.