PDA

View Full Version : Bonsai, another hobby of mine

Joe Pelonio
04-12-2006, 1:47 PM
Actually I have too many hobbies and not enough time for any of them. This is a coast live oak that I grew from an acorn, it's now 14 years old
and about 16" high, the trunk at the base is 1-1/4" diameter. The other one is my Interlaken grape bonsai, planted from a cutting that I rooted
11 years ago, it's about a foot high with a 1" trunk. Any other bonsai
fans here? And no, you turners cannot have the oak for crooked pencils!

Martin Shupe
04-12-2006, 1:55 PM
Actually I have too many hobbies and not enough time for any of them. This is a coast live oak that I grew from an acorn, it's now 14 years old
and about 16" high, the trunk at the base is 1-1/4" diameter. The other one is my Interlaken grape bonsai, planted from a cutting that I rooted
11 years ago, it's about a foot high with a 1" trunk. Any other bonsai
fans here? And no, you turners cannot have the oak for crooked pencils!

I don't do Bonsai, but I have always been fascinated by it. It looks like you are a master. I especially like the oak tree. Very impressive.

How often do you have to prune the roots? I'll bet you have to water it every day with the pot so small!

Joe Pelonio
04-12-2006, 2:03 PM
Thanks Martin, but I'm a long way from a master. The roots get pruned 1-2 times a year, depends on how fast they grow (I have 16 trees currently). I have them on tiered wooden rack with a drip system on a timer that I adjust for the time of year. Now they are at once a day but by August it will be 2-3 times a day, just 2-3 minutes at a time.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-12-2006, 4:16 PM
Very nice Joe, I see them all over the place here, I tried my hand at it, but in the summer when it is so hot, you got to water them, or mist them several times a day, and I would forget, so in the best intrest of other Bonsai trees, I don't do this anymore.

I'll try to find some local ones and take some pics.

VERY nice!

Cheers!

John Hart
04-15-2006, 8:56 AM
Very nice Joe. Yup. I'm a big fan. When I lived in Hawaii, I got started and had 6 growing and doing well. They died when I moved back to the continental US. Since that time...and moving around, just didn't seem to get back into it. When we get our new house, we'll have a nice atrium where I'll get back into it.

By the way...The Live Oak is my favorite tree because they look like giant bonsai naturally. I think it is so cool that you actually put a Live Oak in a tray. Excellent!!!:)

Joe Pelonio
04-15-2006, 11:46 AM
John,

Too bad about your 6, in Hawaii you can do a lot of trees that won't grow on the mainland unless you're in Florida. I lost some of mine moving from CA to WA back in '93.

I have 6-8 India Banyan trees that I grew from seed, just a few inches high that I plan to bonsai and keep inside as tropical indoor bonsais.

Jim Becker
04-15-2006, 1:41 PM
Those are very nice, Joe!

Don Baer
04-15-2006, 2:46 PM
And no, you turners cannot have the oak for crooked pencils!

Joe,
I was thinking of all of the miniature bowl blanks I could get from it.:D

Those are very nice. I thought about getting into Bonsai, even went so far as getting a few books on the subject but I've never had the time to get started.