PDA

View Full Version : Fence Etiquette

Brandon Shew
04-12-2006, 12:08 PM
I was helping my brother put up a 6' privacy fence in his back yard (8' long pre-fab dog eared panels from the BORG). We had all of the pre-fab panels attached to the posts when his wife came home and literally flipped out that we had put the "good side" facing his back yard and the "bad side" facing his neighbor. "I don't want to be that kind of neighbor" she said.

My thought is this. - It's the back yard and you're paying for the fence. Why look at the support braces and posts when you don't have to? Plus - you neighbor can now hang the fence of his choice on the other side of the posts. I agree that the "good side" should face the street and we actually put up 2 panels (one on both sides) where the fence can be seen from the street,

What are your thoughts about which way the fence should have been hung?

Steve Evans
04-12-2006, 12:11 PM
My thoughts are, if you talked to the neighbour, and he didn't want to go halfs on it, then you get the good side. And if you didn't talk to the neighbour, well you should have.

Steve

Barry O'Mahony
04-12-2006, 12:21 PM
This isn't really a woodworking-related thread, but if this project wasn't done in cooperation with your neighbor, then you need to ensure that every bit of the fence, including the posts, is on your side of the property line. If so, and if you meet local codes (which in most places limit you to 6' high), you can do whatever you want. The neighbor can put up their own fence, but cannot put anything on your posts without your permission.

Most so-called "good neighbor" fence designs (i.e., look the same on both sides) do so by looking equally bad on both sides, and offer little privacy. I've seen pro fence contractors do good ones, but the DIY efforts usually are not.

Kent Fitzgerald
04-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Local codes often specify that the "finished side" of a fence must face out.

Howard Acheson
04-12-2006, 12:28 PM
In addition to neihborliness" many communities REQUIRE that the good side faces out. If you live where there are community standards, you had best check with them.

Mark Patoka
04-12-2006, 12:29 PM
All the wooden yard fences I've seen have the posts on the inside or your side of the yard. The good side faces out so you neighbor or the street sees a nice looking fence, not the support structures.

Bill Eshelman
04-12-2006, 12:40 PM
How bad did she Flip out?

///just wondering

hee hee

Anthony Anderson
04-12-2006, 12:43 PM
Brandon,

We have a person in our neighborhood that tried the same thing you are doing. Only difference was he had a fence company doing the work, and he specified that he wanted the "good" side to face his back yard, IOW the neighbor got the #@%@#$y side. WRONG!!! Our neighborhood has an ordinance that if you put up a fence, then it has to be completely on your property (common sense!) AND the GOOD side has to face "OUT" on all sides of the fence. He did not talk/consult his neighbor, and had the fence installed while the neighbor was at work. The neighbor was not happy (from what I heard), and called the city. The next day or so, the fence was being taken apart and rebuilt the way it should have been built in the first place. Not sure who had to pay for the ignorance and the lack of respect to the neighbor. You should definitely consider the neighbor, and put the good side on the outside. Unless you have something like a five acre lot with you house right in the middle, then I would say it is up to you. But if you are doing this on the typical 1/4 acre to 1/2 acre lot...then all I can say is, I am glad you are not my neighbor, also I am glad I am not yours. Its the attitude that "its my property, so I can do what I want" mentality that gets me. In that case what's to stop someone from piling junk a mile high in their backyard, after all it is their property:D :confused: :rolleyes:. No offense intended. Regards, Bill

Barry O'Mahony
04-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Local codes often specify that the "finished side" of a fence must face out.geesh, yet another reason to be glad I don't live in the 'burbs, and to feel sorry for those that do. :(

Anthony Anderson
04-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Save your sympathy Barry. I am very happy I live exactly where I do:D...in fact I am tickled. Regards, Bill

John Miliunas
04-12-2006, 1:01 PM
What's a "privacy fence"???? :confused: :eek: :D (Happily living in the country, with the nearest neighbor @1/8th-mile away! :D ):cool:

Brandon Shew
04-12-2006, 1:09 PM
How bad did she Flip out?

///just wondering

hee hee

Real Bad - she didn't talk to him all night.

We tore down an old chain link fence. The neighbor kept asking when my brother was going to replace his fence so the neighbor could let his dogs out again (as if it was my brother's responsibility to put up a fence for his neighbor's dogs). My brother did talk to the neighbor to inform him of his plans for the fence, but I don't think that the direction was ever addressed. The neighbor was also asked if he wanted to "split the property line" and go in 1/2 on the fence - he declined. This same neighbor also has a god awful beat up above ground pool in his back yard, tons of trash, old bikes, 3 old lawnmowers, ladders, a deck that is falling apart, and really old knoty cedar shake siding on his house (where all of the knots have fallen out over the years and you can see the underlay) that my brother has had to endure looking at. Trust me when I say that this 6' privacy fence is a godsend for my Brother's back yard.

All of the fence is on my Brother's property. The only zoning restriction sets a height limit at 8' w/ no other specifications in his neighborhood. Personally I can't say that I blame him for installing the fence the way he did. My neighbor just did the same thing to me (put the good side facing his back yard) and it didn't bother me. I probably would have split the cost and property line with him had my house not been on the market (and me not wanting to spend any more on it since I'm not staying there). I did help him put it up it though

Anthony - why the "I'm glad your not my neighbor" jab? It's not even my fence.

Anthony Anderson
04-12-2006, 1:10 PM
What's a "privacy fence"???? :confused: :eek: :D (Happily living in the country, with the nearest neighbor @1/8th-mile away! :D ):cool:

There you go John, I agree completely. I wish the wife would agree. Regards, Bill

Anthony Anderson
04-12-2006, 1:22 PM
Brandon, By that I meant, you just don't see the slightest thing wrong in it. And you had influence in the decision. That's why I said what I did. I think your brother's wife is still right. I did not mean to infer that you are a bad person or anything, just that we wouldn't make good neighbors. I am sorry for the comment, and I am going to edit it right now. Regards, Bill

Real Bad - she didn't talk to him all night.
We tore down an old chain link fence. The neighbor kept asking when my brother was going to replace his fence so the neighbor could let his dogs out again (as if it was my brother's responsibility to put up a fence for his neighbor's dogs). My brother did talk to the neighbor to inform him of his plans for the fence, but I don't think that the direction was ever addressed. The neighbor was also asked if he wanted to "split the property line" and go in 1/2 on the fence - he declined. This same neighbor also has a god awful beat up above ground pool in his back yard, tons of trash, old bikes, 3 old lawnmowers, ladders, a deck that is falling apart, and really old knoty cedar shake siding on his house (where all of the knots have fallen out over the years and you can see the underlay) that my brother has had to endure looking at. Trust me when I say that this 6' privacy fence is a godsend for my Brother's back yard.

All of the fence is on my Brother's property. The only zoning restriction sets a height limit at 8' w/ no other specifications in his neighborhood. Personally I can't say that I blame him for installing the fence the way he did. My neighbor just did the same thing to me (put the good side facing his back yard) and it didn't bother me. I probably would have split the cost and property line with him had my house not been on the market (and me not wanting to spend any more on it since I'm not staying there). I did help him put it up it though

Anthony - why the "I'm glad your not my neighbor" jab? It's not even my fence.

Chuck Saunders
04-12-2006, 1:28 PM
Our City codes require all fences are good side out. We also have a pool fence requirement but it sounds like you would do well not to rely upon your neighbors' fence choice.
Chuck

Zahid Naqvi
04-12-2006, 1:38 PM
For what it's worth. I have 4 neighbors around my backyard, 2 on each side and 2 on the back. Three of them had fences before I decided to put mine in. Two neighbors put the good side towards me, the third one has the posts on my side. Doesn't bother me either way.

I talked to the 4th neighbor before I put mine in, and she didn't care what side faces her yard. Who cares what side of the fence is on your side. I sure don't. There are bigger things in life to worry about than a wooden fence. I say if your neighbor is so worried about the view, ask him to pony up some money and contribute towards the cost of the fence. If he wants boards facing his lot all he has to do is pay for the boards, you already have the posts put down. I am sure you are nice enough to help him put up the boards. The way I see it he is getting a fence for a bargain price.

Lee DeRaud
04-12-2006, 1:39 PM
I suppose basket-weave or board-on-board (like basket-weave without the weave) is out of the question? Neither of those has a good/bad side issue. With vertical slats, you can still alternate the slats on each side of the fence...feels a bit more open than a "flat" fence, but nearly as private if you overlap the boards slightly.

(Our city codes only say "good side out" for yards with pools: harder to climb from the good side.)

Anthony Anderson
04-12-2006, 1:43 PM
Our City codes require all fences are good side out. We also have a pool fence requirement but it sounds like you would do well not to rely upon your neighbors' fence choice.
Chuck

I agree with you Chuck. Don't rely on your neighbor's choice. I have a neighbor, who three years ago, informed that he was going to put up a "privacy" fence. But, he assured me, that he would maintain it and keep it looking good. Well, I should have known that that was all well intentioned BS. The fence looks like (you fill in the blank with any word of your choice)_ _ _ _. He might trim about once a summer, but usually it is me that is doing the trimming around his fence. I just do it so as not stir the pot, as I could have gotten worse neighbors. Now we are left with the alternative to put up a nice vinyl fence that abuts theirs, in order to cover up the eyesore.
Now for the quotation marks around privacy. They tell me they are going to put up a privacy fence (6' high), but the houses set so high in our neighborhood, that you can see everything in their backyard, even with the fence. Doh!!! Duh!!!They have no more privacy than they had when they had no fence. And besides I think they are flattering themselves, to think that they need a privacy fence:D. Later, Bill

Ted Jay
04-12-2006, 1:55 PM
Local codes often specify that the "finished side" of a fence must face out.

If that was the case I would pay the neighbor to have a fence installed so I can see the "preety" side.

If you lived on a corner lot with the street on one side, a neighbor behind, and a neighbor to the other side. Common sense tells you the "good" side out, on the street side and the fence in the front connecting the two houses together. The back fence and side fence is your choice if your footing the bill. If you talk to them and tell them your paying for it how can they argue. If they want to pay for half, then you might have to do that every other good side alternate thing with the fence.
That just my opinion, but I could be wrong....

Art Mulder
04-12-2006, 2:17 PM
When my neighbour (previous house) wanted to put in a fence, I approached him, and we agreed to split things. This resulted in a better fence, since we could now put in a longer/nicer one without costing him more.

But as for the good/bad side debate... we solved that by alternating panels. It was a good looking result.

Brandon Shew
04-12-2006, 2:23 PM
If that was the case I would pay the neighbor to have a fence installed so I can see the "preety" side.

If you lived on a corner lot with the street on one side, a neighbor behind, and a neighbor to the other side. Common sense tells you the "good" side out, on the street side and the fence in the front connecting the two houses together. The back fence and side fence is your choice if your footing the bill. If you talk to them and tell them your paying for it how can they argue. If they want to pay for half, then you might have to do that every other good side alternate thing with the fence.
That just my opinion, but I could be wrong....

Assuming there's no zoning restricion I would tend to agree (as I've indicated). It's a tough call - Where does my right to do what I want on my property intersect with your right not to have to look at something offensive? What's offensive? As others have suggested - it is after all only a fence and it's really not that bad regardless of which side you are looking at (if I have a choice though...) .

The neighbor had his chance to say something or cough up a few bucks for an additional fence on his side of the posts (or to request a non-directional fence), but he didn't.

Wes Bischel
04-12-2006, 2:28 PM
Gee, maybe this is a city folk thing - but all fences where I grew up were put "smooth" side out (referred to as "good side" previously) only so the kids wouldn't climb it as easily!:eek: :D Yep, it was my job to soak the posts in a deep bucket of creosote - changed them out every morning before school - I think that explains a few things - so my wife tells me.;)

Wes

Mark Pruitt
04-12-2006, 2:32 PM
The neighbor was also asked if he wanted to "split the property line" and go in 1/2 on the fence - he declined.

That one single fact is solid reason for the "good" side of the fence to be facing your brother's house. The neighbor was given the option. The neighbor declined. It was the neighbor's request that started the whole thing in the first place. Problem solved. And if there are any ordinances that specify otherwise, you can be doggone certain that there are also ordinances that prohibit the neighbor keeping such a trashy looking place. He has no high ground whatsoever in this, should he even raise an objection.
Mark

Mark Pruitt
04-12-2006, 2:46 PM
He might trim about once a summer, but usually it is me that is doing the trimming around his fence.

One word: Roundup.;)

Dennis McDonaugh
04-12-2006, 2:56 PM
We have to alternate ours, one panel has good side in and next has good side out. You see it so much it doesn't even register any more.

We used to have 20 acres in the country about 30 miles from SA. Advantages - lots of privacy and room to spread out, wildlife to view, and peace and quiet. Disadvantages - hour and hlaf commute each day, filling up the tank twice a week, no stores close to pick up a loaf of bread, and the deer liked ALL my plants. There are also a surprising number of burglaries in the area because most people work in town and are gone all day. Criminals are unlikely to run into a homeowner.

Jamie Buxton
04-12-2006, 3:32 PM
Geez, I didn't know there is a "good" side and a "bad" side. Can you just shout "Get a life" over the fence, and get on with yours?

Dev Emch
04-12-2006, 5:30 PM
Your kidding! I had a neighbor rip out and throw away 350 feet of 5 foot chain link fence because of a minor easement violation. Fact is this neighbor was pestering me to move the fence and even handed me an estimate from home depot for a new fence. Fine Enough! Wow! This is one of those fancy wooden privacy fences! Hold the pony wagon right where it is. I will move the fence but any replacement is with like fence and that is chain link. So I had half of the poles replaced and set in concrete. I come back only to find that she had torn out all the fence including the wire, top rails, etc. and thrown it out. I called the police and they said this was a civil matter. I called her and got the answer machine. Called again and got the answer machine. Called a third time and got the answer machine. This time I left an assertive mesage threatening her with a law suit. Then the cops showed up at my place and arrested me for harassment. This took 6 trips in front of a judge to finally resolve and that is because I finally gave in and copped a dismissal plee. I have no time for this garbage! So when all settles out, it turns out that she wanted me to pay for a fancy wooden slat privacy fence. I guess the renters in this property were to much for her to take. You know, papa renter with his tank tee shirt covered beer belly broiling brats and onions on the weber kettle while enjoying a can of bud. And between the shorts, those nice looking legs and the tank top style tee shirt, I guess my neigbor really needed that privacy fence. They joke that you can stable 2x4s together with his arm pit hair. Hey, the guy pays the rent on the 1st so who am I to deny Joe Six Pack his lease agreement....

So I have two words for your wife.... CHAIN LINK! And if the complaints arrive, then threaten to install the looped razor wire on top of the chain link. Otherwise, tell them to close their pie hole or write a check.

James Stokes
04-12-2006, 5:37 PM
I think the good side should go to the street. on the rest of the fence the post and rails should go on your side to keep the neighbors from climbing on the rails to look in your yard.

Dennis Peacock
04-12-2006, 6:03 PM
Shoot..........this is EASY to answer.

Just live where your neighbor isn't so close to ya!!!!! Like ACRES away!!!:rolleyes: :p :D

Chris Barton
04-12-2006, 6:06 PM
I called the police and they said this was a civil matter. I called her and got the answer machine. Called again and got the answer machine. Called a third time and got the answer machine. This time I left an assertive mesage threatening her with a law suit. Then the cops showed up at my place and arrested me for harassment. This took 6 trips in front of a judge to finally resolve and that is because I finally gave in and copped a dismissal plee.

Why am I not surprised by this...:D

Lopaka Garcia
04-12-2006, 6:16 PM
Anthony...Regarding that guy who insisted that the good side of the fence be put on his side only the have it taken down and done the right way...If the contractor had done it wrong and it was his error, he would be responsible to pay for the correction. But if the home owner insisted that it be done that way, than he's responsible for the correction. The contractor is supposed to know the ordinance and relayed it to the owner, but in this case it sounds like the owner could care less. His fault, he pays.

Charles McCracken
04-12-2006, 8:43 PM
Brandon,

I've built a lot of wood privacy fences and all were good side out. Proper etiquette aside, if you to put the rail side out you are giving a ladder to anyone who wants to climb it.

Matt Meiser
04-12-2006, 10:06 PM
One word: Roundup.;)

Mark, you beat me to it. :D

Matt Meiser
04-12-2006, 10:10 PM
With Invisible Fence, which side goes out? I wasn't around when they buried ours and don't know which way they faced the wire?:D

Ken Fitzgerald
04-12-2006, 10:22 PM
My neighbor has a beautiful cedar fence around his property. The boards run vertical and every other board is on the other side. Looks nice...hides the frame....both sides are the good side.........a real booger to stain! He paints/stains it about every 4 years and cusses himself for building it that way. He's brushed it...sprayed it....sprayed and back brushed......it's a booger to stain.:confused:

Dev Emch
04-12-2006, 10:30 PM
With Invisible Fence, which side goes out? I wasn't around when they buried ours and don't know which way they faced the wire?:D

Dont you need a collar unit to make these work? I know just the folk who should be wearing one and it anit Martha Stuart!:D

Don Baer
04-12-2006, 11:57 PM
Good side out towards the street, Alternating panels between houses.

works for me.

Mike Leone
04-13-2006, 6:39 AM
if you put the supports, bracing on the outside it makes it easier for someone to climb over.
my .02

Todd Woodward
04-13-2006, 9:43 AM
charles is right. Why make a ladder for the thieves to get into your yard any easier? Good side goes out!!!

Bill Lewis
04-13-2006, 4:12 PM
We boarder some federal land, an old NIKE site, which we now refer to as the "Secret Underground Government Facility", I think this is the place where they keep the real Stargate...Shhh don't tell anyone.

Anyway, it has a nice 8' chain link fince that's so overgrown you can hardly tell it's there. Here's a pic that I took yesterday. As you can see we have some neighbors who stop by from time to time just to say hello to the dogs. (They said they were from the planet "moo")

Norman Hitt
04-14-2006, 3:57 AM
Here, you can build an 8' tall fence, and the good side goes out for all that face a street. Back yard fences between neighbors and the back alley fence are all built with the good side in to the yard of the owner that is paying for the fence.