PDA

View Full Version : Night stands progress pic

Jim Bills
04-12-2006, 11:22 AM
I built a kingsize headboard last year, and the LOML (44years) thought we could use matching end tables for the first time of our marriage. I like to post these progress pictures, in case I ruin the finish. I thought this would be a quick project due to its size --- it hasn't been. These two night stands are made of 198 individual pieces of wood, hard to believe, but true. Enough said, hopefully pictures will follow.

Jerry Olexa
04-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Jim nice results. I'm building an end table also now to match the headboard I built last year. Looks good. Did you use a jig on the dovetails??

Ken Fitzgerald
04-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Jim........excellent night stands! I'll have to do something similar in the future! Excellent!........Post photos of the finished project please!

Ted Shrader
04-12-2006, 11:27 AM
Jim -

Thanks for the update. They look great. Well designed and proportioned.

More pictures when you get them finished? (I predict you will have good results with the finish. :) )

Regards,
Ted

David Duke
04-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Looking good Jim, should go well with your new headboard.

Vaughn McMillan
04-12-2006, 5:43 PM
Looking good, Bill. Be sure to follow up with pics when it's finished.

These two night stands are made of 198 individual pieces of wood...
Well that right there is why it's taking longer than you expected...you're spending time counting the pieces of wood, instead of gluing them together. ;) :p

- Vaughn

frank shic
04-12-2006, 6:01 PM
nice job, jim! did you miter lock the frame and panel sides to the face frame?

Jim Bills
04-12-2006, 6:44 PM
Looking good, Bill. Be sure to follow up with pics when it's finished.

Well that right there is why it's taking longer than you expected...you're spending time counting the pieces of wood, instead of gluing them together. ;) :p

- Vaughn

I actually did the count this morning prior to posting. I didn't count the 208 dovetails I used for the drawers as parts - ha!

Jim

Jim Bills
04-12-2006, 6:51 PM
nice job, jim! did you miter lock the frame and panel sides to the face frame?

Frank, I used a home made joint design. I cut a 5/8" x 1/2" rabbet on the back sides of the face frame which left a 1/8" lip to register the sides. I then cut a 5/8" x 1/4" rabbet on the front of the sides. I would use a lock mitre if I were to do this joint again. I'll take a photo later to show the exact detail.

Jim Bills
04-12-2006, 6:53 PM
Jim nice results. I'm building an end table also now to match the headboard I built last year. Looks good. Did you use a jig on the dovetails??

Jerry, I used a PC 16" Omnijig for all the dovetails (208)

Jim

Ron Jones near Indy
04-12-2006, 6:59 PM
Really nice table Jim. Isn't it amazing how the number of pieces in these tables seems to be 2, 3 or 4 times what you thought it would be? What finish do you plan to use?

Jim Bills
04-13-2006, 10:16 AM
For those who have asked, I attached 3 detail shots.

1. Top view of corner joint, joint geometry highlighted in pencil.
2. View of the upper moulding detail.
3. Side view showing the result of the corner joint design.

Sorry for the poor quality of the photographs, I promise to do better.

Jason Tuinstra
04-13-2006, 10:21 AM
Jim, that qs oak looks great. Nice work, I'm sure your finish will turn out just great.

Jim Becker
04-13-2006, 10:31 AM
Very nice, Jim. And the best way to help have a successful finish is to be sure you do the entire regimen on scrap of the same material BEFORE you start on the real project. Take the time...