PDA

View Full Version : Hollowmaster Bit Sharpening-Need advice

Chris DiCiaccio
04-12-2006, 10:53 AM
I have only tried the one project with my Hollowmaster. As stated in the other post, it didn't seem to cut well. I haven't sharpened the bits yet. I asked the guy at woodcraft when I bought it if they were ready to cut or needed sharpening and he said they were ready to cut. This is my first use with it. Also, I've heard conflicting suggestions on sharpening these two bits. Sorby says use diamond stone and hone, others say make a jig and use your grinder, others say, don't use the grinder. I would like to be sure which method before I mess them up.

Keith Nielsen
04-12-2006, 4:33 PM
Hi,
I use the white wheel on my grinder and have rigged up a flat piece of steel that tips ever so slightly into the edge of the wheel. This allows me to lay the tip flat on the steel and give the tip a slight relief edge as I sharpen it. It works well and I use up very little of the edge. I have sharpened mine about 200 times and it still works well.
It takes a real light touch especially when you round the corner on the tip.

Good luck
Keith

Chris DiCiaccio
04-12-2006, 4:45 PM
Thanks for the info. If you happen to have a pic that would be great!

John Hart
04-12-2006, 7:05 PM
I've only sharpened using a flat stone, and then only lapping the surface. I've never touched the edge.

Jim Becker
04-12-2006, 9:20 PM
Try to only sharpen the "top" of the cutter with a hone as much as possible. These small cutters are REALLY EASY to eat up on the grinder, so that should only be a very occasional thing. Honing the top will keep the edge keen and you can always use a burnisher to put a little bit of a burr on it for finishing cuts, etc.